Old 08-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Grinnell Glacier Trail Ė Glacier National Park (Mrs. TCP)

This hike takes the cake for best hike of the year. Not only were the views amazing but what we saw was even more over-the-top exciting (and terrifying)! Our last hike in glacier was the Highline Trail where we only saw one Big Horn Sheep and a couple of marmots. But this time we saw the granddaddy of all creatures!

A HUGE concern when hiking in Glacier National Park is the Grizzly Bear population. Itís always neat to see them while you are in the comfort of your vehicle but it is a whole different scenario when you come face-to-face with a Grizzly while hiking. Itís pretty much double trouble when itís a grizzly and her cubs.

We encountered just that, a Grizzly and her two cubs. Fortunately, it was from about 400 yards away and they were distracted by their boisterous wrestling match they had going on. Weíve learned itís always a good indicator that youíre about to come upon something worth seeing (or dangerous!) when you see a line of people stopped on the trail. That is exactly how we learned about about our big furry friends down at the lake, just having a morning bath. I have to say, it was pretty cute, from a distance.

As the bears were frolicking in the water, a ranger came behind us and let us know that we either needed to wait until they decide to come up from the water or make a move for it, now. We did just that, we hightailed it across the trail about a mile before we were able to feel our hearts settle.

Since our parents are pretty much our number one readers, I feel like I should make a disclaimer about the Grizzly Bears to ease their mind. We are very aware of how dangerous they are. Very aware. Mr. TCP even practices his bear spray techniques. We both carry bear spray and make a lot of noise. I talk A LOT and LOUDLY, well, because I just talk a lot as it is and Mr. TCP is constantly saying ďHUH? WHAT DID YOU SAY?Ē So, I feel the need to already talk at an higher volume. After todayís hike, and reading some extreme Grizzly stories on the world wide web, I think we might hang up our hiking boots for our reminder of stay at GNP.

P.S. Most of the remaining glaciers are melting away, and I'm afraid they won't be there the next time we get to visit. Bummer.

http://www.tincanplan.com/hikes/grin...national-park/

Old 08-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Here's a quick glimpse at the Grizzlies we saw:

Old 08-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
So what was the plan all along. I see you are headed back to Austin.

Was the full timing always intended to be a long trip then back home.

What would keep you from continuing the full timing.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
PS Do you still have the Globetrotter.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
So what was the plan all along. I see you are headed back to Austin.

Was the full timing always intended to be a long trip then back home.

What would keep you from continuing the full timing.
We didn't really have a plan for our full-time adventure. Work would keep us from continuing. Right now, we both told our employers we would be out of the office completely for six months.

We shall see! And, yes I still have the Globetrotter.