Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
The Dream begins...

Hi All! This is my first post from the road. My wife and I are now officially full-timers, or at least beginner full-timers - 10 days out from leaving the rat race of southern California. The last two weeks of getting rid of almost all our possessions, settling personal affairs, and getting the things necessary for life on the road (which were known at the time) was stressful and time-consuming. We were delayed three days past our original departure date, and even left late that day at 6:00 PM. It would have been wiser to stay over at a friend's house one more night but we just couldn't wait to leave and so after only a 15-minute test drive the week before, we hit the freeway.

I want to first thank all those that directly responded to me here on this forum with their own real-world experience. Fifteen to 20 years ago, it would have taken a lot of learning on the fly and meeting more experienced full-timers on the road in order to get a handle on the ins and outs of life in a trailer. Even today, most people plan a year or so, sometimes several years, before uprooting their lives. The internet and enthusiastic community of you Airstream full-timers allowed me to fast track the process. It took me only two months almost to the day of purchasing our Airstream before feeling confident enough to hit the road. Besides the many posters I've read here, I'd like to give a shout out to those that responded to my questions via private messaging: TBRich, steverino, n2916s, mccrosti, KJRitchie, jasperkins, Dan and Liz, sinjin, idroba, youngpeck, rvb, Kevin245, and Frank&Mike. Just about every piece of info you passed on to me was used or will be.

I'd also like to call out the other major sources of info and inspiration: BoldAdventure for his quick replies, vast knowledge of trucks and machines (over my head on most of it), and encouragement - he was where I wanted to be and I had the great cook already by my side; the couple at LoLoHo - I watched your videos over and over and gained inspiration as to what was possible; and the young folks at sputnik goes.com - I loved the travel writing, the photography, and the sense of humor, but most of all, the same sense of wanting something more than two weeks of vacation every year to do what really made my wife and me happy, and then going out and actually leaving a very, very nice home for an even nicer restored Airstream. There are other posters that replied to my threads that I can't recall right off the top of my head but I read every bit of info that came my way and I valued it more than anything I learned in school.

I'd also like to mention two AS members that touched me in ways other than valuable information: Maggie of doug&maggie. I was greatly saddened by her loss and traced back a ways to learn of her story the last year or so. She had one of the great love stories I've read over my life and I admire her courage, her love for Doug, and her persistence in moving on and sharing with us her thoughts - she is a hero of mine.

Another hero of mine was Dan of dmac fame - gutting out a horrible winter in Denver back in 2010. His postings were a study in survival and I couldn't help but admire his toughness and ingenuity in making things work and hanging in there when things didn't. I was a co-owner in a small environmental engineering company and for the last 2.5 years, I wasn't making a very good income. Reading Dan's story reminded me of a lot of Americans who have to leave home and family in order to chase the jobs. I didn't have to leave my wife behind like Dan did but he inspired me to believe I, too, could make it out there and find work on the road (although hopefully I won't have to stay in a northern climate like he did). His story was dramatic stuff and I admire him for doing what he had to do for himself and family, and also all the contributors on this forum to help see him through - that's the American way (sorry for the corny stuff).

Steverino - we didn't get site #14 but #4 instead, and then moved to site #26 where we are currently and loving it. Thanks so much for the info - it helped us find a soft landing spot for our initial week. We needed it because we have spent the last nine days unpacking, setting up the trailer, and acquiring more little odds and ends to make things work better, and the convenience of this campground couldn't have been better, so many thanks to you. I hope some day I can run into you.

Back in the age of exploration, curious men ventured out in order to accomplish big things. Today it is believed the world has grown smaller but I think it’s more due to the fact many of us see the world through a 5-inch smartphone screen, or a 17-inch laptop, or even a 65-inch LCD monitor (guilty as charged). I hope to have my peripheral vision as my widescreen. I want to do the little things: hike in sand, touch and climb rocks, walk into a lake or stream, listen to the aspens, and just look up at the clouds long enough to watch an imaginary object disappear altogether. Coincidentally, I read a book a couple months ago about Ernest Shackelton’s failed Arctic exploration, Endurance. I don’t equate myself with an explorer but I certainly hope I don’t end up as just another Alexander Supertramp stranded out in the great outdoors. There's still a lot to learn and hopefully I won't learn them the hard way. It's good to know there's a lot of good folks on this forum to help out. Thank you all again for all the help and I hope to meet you some day on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00031.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	224972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00020.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	385.7 KB
ID:	224973  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00046.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	224974   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00050.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	224975  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
What a great post!! I'm very excited for you and wish you all the best adventures!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jacksonville , Florida
So cool, Congrats! How exciting!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Congrats! Beautiful pictures.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations, westcoastas, and thank you for your kind words.

Have a wonderful time, and get thyselves to some ralliies!

Maggie
Old 10-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Happy Trails.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
So happy for you guys...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
What a wonderful story! I believe we will all look forward to hearing your stories! Safe travels!

Let the good times roll! Laura & Tom
Old 10-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
your post was truly inspirational. Like you guys, we will become full time in our Airstream in about a week ...... and hectic it is getting ready. In our case, we have the truck in Southern Mexico and the trailer is in storage in Tucson. We have now leased our house in Mexico for a year and probably more. It is also on the market for sale. So, everything is now just about gone except what will fit in the truck (besides Max the German Shepherd) and off we go.

Quick question ... where is the beautiful camping spot your pictures show?

Hopefully .... we will run into each other during this next year.
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Kick-butt! Congrats! Nice looking setup, looks sharp and stylish! Keep us updated! You reaching for your dreams inspires us and others.

I'm jealous of where you live, not much inspiration for weekend excursions in FL before going full-time.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
your post was truly inspirational. Like you guys, we will become full time in our Airstream in about a week ...... and hectic it is getting ready. In our case, we have the truck in Southern Mexico and the trailer is in storage in Tucson. We have now leased our house in Mexico for a year and probably more. It is also on the market for sale. So, everything is now just about gone except what will fit in the truck (besides Max the German Shepherd) and off we go.

Quick question ... where is the beautiful camping spot your pictures show?

Hopefully .... we will run into each other during this next year.
Wow - live in San Jose, truck in Mexico, and trailer in Tucson... by the time you've hit the road, you'll be expert in the tasks of problem solving! Yes, I'm sure there are obstacles to overcome while on the road but all those seemingly are nothing but speed bumps when compared to the task of leaving all your possessions behind and getting the rigs together.

The photos are of our first two stops: the red rocks are from Snow Canyon State Park in Utah and the other pics are from Virgin River Canyon. I try to frame the pics so it looks like we're alone but in reality, there are a few others who share the same good fortune of living in the great outdoors. When you've lived in cities and suburbs most of your life, one cherishes the open space.

It would be great to meet up with a fellow noobie and Max. I wish you a speedy and smooth transition.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Free at last!!!

Free at last!!!

Enjoy the journey.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Great photos. You both have that look of happiness and freedom in the first photo. Safe travels and hope we get to see updates wherever your travels take you.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
How incredibly gracious of you to do this post! I know all of us will look forward to meeting you as you truly live the dream...there is absolutely no better way to see what's out there from the comfort of an Airstream! Congratulations and safe travels...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Super jealous!! Enjoy yourselves and report back plenty! And photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #16
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Y'all look so happy, enjoy, and I hope to see you somewhere on the road. Congratulations on the new adventure.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks for taking us on this journey with you. A couple of additional good reads are:
"First she had to take a boat ride", on forum, by pbearsailsailor
Technomadia, online, by fulltimers Chris & Cherie

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
Awesome and inspiring! Being from SoCal, I fully relate. We may done in as little as 12 weeks. Can't wait to join you out there.
Blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #19
Littleitaly

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Leaburg , Oregon
Our dream finally started Friday, the 24th, we are officially on the road and living full time in our Airstream. We left from Leaburg, OR and heading to FL. 😎
littleitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Way to go LittleItaly! You certainly aren't messing around with any short local trips. Try not to get that frozen smile stuck on your face as you head east!