Old 12-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
You might want to check out rvsueandcrew.net. She posts her monthly budget and its a great site.
LilNomad
Wow - that is a great site! The information on her monthly costs is detailed enough to be helpful and formatted in a way that's easy to think about personally. Thanks LilNomad.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Aledo , Texas
Love RV Sue!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I figure if we are ever full-timing on a fixed income we will travel to a campground at the first of the month, stay there a month, and move on at the first of the next month- 12 locations per year never going back to the same spot twice unless we really liked it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Don't know if we'll full time once we retire, though it may be tempting. That said, based on one season of camping in our motor home before switching to an AS: You do it for love, not for money. If you want to save money on the road, camp in a tent, or drive a Prius and "camp" at inexpensive hotels, or hop into a VW Westfalia microbus camper van, or some combination. Many things are cheaper than driving and maintaining a motor home or trailer and staying in campgrounds that offer hookups.

That said, my parents did economize a little bit, by their math, in joining a club like Thousand Trails. They joined nationally at some level and made sure they got all the camping nights across the country to which they were entitled. When they did that, the felt they got their money out of the membership.

We could have "inherited" their membership, but given how little we're able to camp right now, pre-retirement, it seemed wiser for us to pay as we go vs. joining one of those clubs. If we brought the membership over, the annual $$$ commitment was significant and was for something like 10 years, so we weren't ready to sign that contract.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are other camping clubs, like Passport America, but I don't know much about them.
I think camping clubs work out better for retired people.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
As you search through the threads here, you may find that camping adjusts to fit the budget, instead of the other way around.. Figures like 35 to 45 cents/mile driven for fuel are in the ballpark, so fuel will depend on how much you move around. Related expenses like maintenance, tires, repairs, are also mileage-dependent.. Food can be cheap or pricey, depending on your willingness to eat simply and cook, or eat well at places with professional cooks.. some folks travel with solar and LED conversions and eschew Air Conditioning and snow country, and pay very little to boondock on federal or other public lands in places like Quartzite AZ in the winter, and Washington or Idaho in the summer.. Others enjoy staying at RV Resorts with pools, hot tubs, and golf courses.... As the common slogan goes, YMMV (Your mileage may vary..). It is still worth trying to pursue something which has become a dream, and from experience the costs do go down as you learn "tricks" to reduce costs, like the occasional Wal-Mart overnight or "work-camping" where you can stay free at some public campgrounds in exchange for working as campground host or other duties...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Here is link to a fulltiming couple who have fulltimed for about 14 years. Not in an Airstream but in a gasser motorhome.

http://www.adventure.1tree.net/index.php/rv-living/finances

Here is another link to a couple in their early fourties who are fulltiming in an old vintage bus.

http://www.technomadia.com/the-finances-how-to-afford-it/

Although everyone's style of fulltiming is different, these links may give you an idea on cost for specific items.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Talking

Our tow vehicle routinely returns 14mpg when towing at 55, 16 on a good day with a following wind.

Aye Caramba, what are you towing with?
LilNomad
Old 12-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I guess in the end I'm really not comparing this lifestyle vs motels as I am the cost of living where I am now - house w/mortgage in northern VA ($1900/m) plus utilities, food, etc - as what would it be like for a year on the road. Because after that year or so we would likely sell the trailer and then settle back down again in a less expensive locale. I saw another person wiht similar ambition much further along in process of selling home, selling lots of the "stuff" accumulated over the years, putting the precious stuff in storage, and then having a go of it. Of course, things could change after a year and we would decide to keep going for awhile longer (or not sell the trailer and do sporadic trips) but I barely know what will happen tomorrow... Plus, still have to convince my wife that this is not just pie in the sky wishful thinking. Yesterday she was wondering "but what will I DO every day?" (She's the inveterate putzer).
Old 12-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
I am retired and a little retentive regarding where and how I spend money. When I am out in the Airstream for more than a couple weeks, without fail, my monthly costs go down.

It all changes of course, and gas becomes a huge slice pretty quick.

Mostly it boils down to not having a Honey-Do list. There is always something around here that needs fixing or building. I go away and everything stays just like I left it.

Stuff like this. I just had to build a home for my second home.

Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
We have no good comments add but rather congratulate those who have posted wonderful advice!
I had thought I would retire in two months, but when I was declined for medical insurance decided to keep working a bit longer until things stabilized...
So reworked my schedule to work only Monday- Wednesday...hope to see all soon!
Annie
Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Math & Wine don't mix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A good figure for either a gasser or diesel is 12 mpg. At $4 per gallon a 100 miles will cost you $72 in fuel alone. Of course that will vary considerably... much higher if you're going uphill or facing heavy headwinds.

Paula
Wow... how about $32...
Old 12-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OK, the NEW math is much better.

Hey Colonel. Don't forget the Corps of Engineers sites in your travels. Scattered all around and many have campsites. Half price with the Access pass and if you're into fishing many are right there. The one's we've been to all had electric with water and dump available nearby. For the military campgrounds check out the forums found at
U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home for locations and plenty of good discussion. We've stayed at quite a few and you'll find that the cost and facilities vary a great deal. If you're travels bring you to Key West, FLA the best deal we found is the Navy Sta there and camping is $10 / night in their overflow area ( no hookups) when the hookup area is full.
Enjoy your retirement and your travels.

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Middle of Somewhere , Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post

Our tow vehicle routinely returns 14mpg when towing at 55, 16 on a good day with a following wind.

Aye Caramba, what are you towing with?
LilNomad
It's possible that being Canadian, he's quoting mpg in Imperial (British) gallons which 1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 U.S. gallons. Take his numbers times 0.8 for USA mpg.