Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
Temporarily fulltiming in Albuquerque Jan-June

Hey folks and locals...
I might be in town for bussines for about 6 month and I'd rather stay in my AS than some hotel or condo.

Albuquerque... Any help and info appreciated... Weather, campground etc...

Thanks so much!

flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #2

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
there is a long term campground just out side the gate of the AF base that I have stayed at that would be the first place I would consider. Well kept and mostly military folks so its not out of hand. It does not have a shower house if that is a big deal for you.

I think this is it

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Enchanted Trails is a no thrills park on the west side of town, just off I-40. The FCU holds it's restoration rally there each year. The owner (Vickie) even has an Airstream.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Pasadena , California
Thanks that's some good starting points, I also was looking at the KOA, a bit more pricey but i'd rather pay a little more than stay in some 'trashy' park. My saftey and the saftey of my trailer is worth something too...
Also what about weather etc... Is freezing much of a problem?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In the area of Enchanted Trails but the other side of I-40 are a couple of parks.

I like the east mountains better, but snow is occassionally a problem getting into Abq. Turquoise Trail Campground Rt 14 5 m or so north of Tijeras. Owned by vintage afficianados. My favorite is Hidden Valley near Carnuel / Zuzax exits on I-40. It really is hidden. Behind and up the hill from the funky Chevron gas station that looks like it is out of the Jetsons. Close to I-40 but no road noise.

There is also a KOA in Bernalillo 15 m north of Abq on I-25
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
vintage travelers
1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
we stayed at enchanted for several months west side on 40, the other ones on the other side of freeway look like big parking lot. at enchanted which is on the hill comming into albq you would need heat tape for water and keep your tanks heaters on for it does freeze there and wind is quite a issue at times, sat service and phone service is good there if you go check out the vintage trailers on site people are nice and place is well worth to call home for a while.
scorpiontimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
After 6 months, 17,000 miles, 32 States and a host of interesting and weird places to spend the night, the ONLY place we had a problem with vandals was parked in front of my mom's house in Albuquerque. People there live with bars on the doors and vandals in the streets. My advice is stay in a park and stay out of town!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Albuqueruqe , New Mexico
Just like any where there’s good and bad areas of town… Enchanted Trails is a safe solid place as long as you like dirt and wind J. The east mountains turquoise camp ground is much more charming but the weather can be a little rougher up there this time of year. There is a place south of Albuquerque on the Isleta pueblo ( that looks very nice it’s a great setting in the Bosque. There is also a pretty nice KOA in Bernalillo NM about 7 miles north of ALB. No matter where you stay you are going to need heat tape this time of year it’s still going to get COLD here.
nmgt350h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Pasadena , California
haha... luckily my plans did change and i will not be visiting NM... it has its beauty, but six months is a bit more than i would like... thanks everyone for their input