Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It's all yours, Vernon. My compliments!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I have no experience with tankless water heaters in trailers and don't intend to gain any (just yet) as the Atwood 6 gallon propane model is working well for us at present. My view has been more than a little clouded by my experience with a tankless system we had at home that was, for all intents and purposes, useless. It had been installed new just before I moved in and was a "dual chamber" affair, a two stage process that pre-heated then heated again. It had to have it's own 100amp service but wasn't too expensive to run, at least not initially. The trouble was the flow; it took an age to get the hot water around the house and then, once in the shower it wasn't exactly a powerful stream. Adding just the tiniest bit of cold from the city water (at a better pressure) just wiped out the hot flow. We stuck with it until it broke and, even though it was still under warranty, we canned it in favour of a natural gas powered 50 gallon tank, rented from a local company and that works perfectly. The tankless system had cost $1,500 dollars and every penny was wasted!

In the UK, domestic tankless showers are very common. These run from a 30amp service and, if they have a pump as some do, provide brilliant showers. The whole unit is about 18 inches square and maybe 4 inches deep, so is pretty unobtrusive, even in the smallest bathrooms. Sadly I don't think it'd work in an Airstream because of the power demands, but it's about time we saw a few for the home on the shelves of Lowes or Home Depot.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I just had the Girard tankless installed in my '57 Caravanner. It fit perfectly in the spot under the bed where the original would have been if mine was the "S" model. The shower will come next lol. I've got about 12 years experience with natural gas tankless hwhs. They are really fantastic and I hate to hear when someone has a bad experience with one. The trick in a house installation is to put in a recirculating pump and a 1/2" hot water return line from the furthest fixture...the same concept would apply in a large trailer...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfarmer View Post
Thinking about trying the new tankless hot water heater. Just wonder of other experiences???

Full time in Limited 34, second winter coming.

Thanks for suggestions/advise.
While I have no experience with tankless water heaters in RV applications, they have been used in homes for decades and there is no reason to think an RV application wouldn't work just as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Frank Could you give us an update? Any problems with the Girard tankless water heater? I'm overhalling out bathroom and we need a new water heater.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Unit is either on or off, ie plenty hot water or none, when you lower flow for hot water unit heater shuts off then a blast of cold water to shower, only way to keep some constant flow of hot water is to also open sink hot water then you can lower shower hot water flow as needed. plenty hot, quiet, efficient, simple design, sure beats older tank system hands down!!!!
1099 Dailey Road, Snead, Al 35952
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfarmer View Post
Unit is either on or off, ie plenty hot water or none, when you lower flow for hot water unit heater shuts off then a blast of cold water to shower, only way to keep some constant flow of hot water is to also open sink hot water then you can lower shower hot water flow as needed. plenty hot, quiet, efficient, simple design, sure beats older tank system hands down!!!!
If you camp without hookups, this solution would fill up the gray tank and deplete the fresh water tank unnecessarily. I like the idea of an on-demand water heater, but this is a fairly serious problem if you camp without water/sewer connections.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57BB
I just had the Girard tankless installed in my '57 Caravanner. It fit perfectly in the spot under the bed where the original would have been if mine was the "S" model. The shower will come next lol. I've got about 12 years experience with natural gas tankless hwhs. They are really fantastic and I hate to hear when someone has a bad experience with one. The trick in a house installation is to put in a recirculating pump and a 1/2" hot water return line from the furthest fixture...the same concept would apply in a large trailer...
Could you please expand on the recirculating pump idea. Would it be just a second 12vlt pump in the hot water line? What kind would you need and how would it be turned on when you are using hot water?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We tried an electric tankless for a sink we added to a lab back in the 90's. Worst piece of junk I could imagine. A 6 gallon Atwood propane, electric WH is as close to perfect as a appliance can be. Why make it hard and expensive?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
If you camp without hookups, this solution would fill up the gray tank and deplete the fresh water tank unnecessarily. I like the idea of an on-demand water heater, but this is a fairly serious problem if you camp without water/sewer connections.
Wonder if it would work for a "Navy" shower? Turn on, get wet, turn off. Lather up, turn on to rinse. et cetera...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
We installed a PrecisionTemp 500 in our Safari, and we love it!

I tried it for the "navy" shower technique on our last trip because we had to use a blue tank for gray water in a state park. It worked pretty well--a few cold spots when the flow started up, but they were momentary.

When we have full hookups, those long showers are wonderful.