Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

summerizing

Greetings from the hot and humid Sea of Cortez. So hot that I am blowing town for a couple months but leaving my Tradewind behind. Here's my question: I can't keep the AC running. We have power surges nearly daily and I know those are not good for our roof-top units. So the AC will be off. I'd like to open a window, have a fan going on the floor and then the fantastic pulling air out thru the ceiling. But I worry about the humidity. That's concern number one. Concern number two is the fridge. I can't empty out all the contents - I live here full time - so will this hot, un-airconditioned trailer affect the fridge, like make it work double-time?

Thanks for all your thoughts and expert advice. Always appreciated. Keep cool out there in the Pacific NW, Texas, wherever else ya'll are cooking'.

annette
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I leave my fridge on yr round without a problem. And, it's hot here.
I run a dehumidifier in the summer mths. Pulls a couple of gallons/week out of the air.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

yeah, a dehumidifier would be great but i don't have access to one down here in Mexico...at least not before i leave on tuesday. besides, there's no one here to empty it. any thoughts as to sealing up the trailer vs having air circulate?
1997 E350
Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
I live in Florida, humidity and hot all the time. I have not done this, but the house I purchased - the PO's had dishpans of cat litter all around to absorb the humidity. On my sail boat I always left a fan on and a port open to move air. I also had solor vents with fans that would operate most of the time moving air. There is also a product called dri-rid (like cat litter) that you can put out in a pan - it absorbs the water from the humidity. Buy that at hardware store, West Marine, etc.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

judy, the cat liter is a great idea. i think i can find that in this little podunk mexican town. i would really like to keep air circulating otherwise the trailer is going to be so stifling and stinky when i return. thanks.
1997 E350
Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I wouldn't worry about the refrigerator because while you are gone it won't be opened. Because it won't be opened, it will stay cool inside, won't get humidity inside, and won't be working too hard.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

thanks for that, bob. and i hope to lighten its load before i go so only my most treasured non-Mexican condiments are in it - asiago dressing and thai cooking sauce )
1997 E350