Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #29
CKK
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Harrodsburg , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
The Lance was heavy?? My 24' is only 5700#... didn't realize AS was so much lighter.
__________________

CKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
 
Anytown , California
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
The Lance was heavy?? My 24' is only 5700#... didn't realize AS was so much lighter.
Yea, i am going with the 22 Sport, its ridiculously lighter and narrower than a standard travel trailer.
__________________

overthatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6,238
Hi

There also are SOB's that are lighter than the equivalent AS model. Lots of ways to build things ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member
 
Anytown , California
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There also are SOB's that are lighter than the equivalent AS model. Lots of ways to build things ....

Bob
I don't think i know what you mean by SOB. I know that as something else
overthatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthatway View Post
I don't think i know what you mean by SOB. I know that as something else
Hi

SOB = Some Other Brand = generic reference to a trailer that is not an Airstream. What else could it possibly mean?

Yes, forums do build up a language all their own .... very much like the three year olds from who we take a lot of our behavior clues .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member
 
Anytown , California
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Thanks uncle_bob! In that case... When i was looking at the lighter SOBs that were rated as "premium" i did not like a single one. Had to get way heavy before they were even remotely appealing. Since my limiting factor is weight and not cost, it seems that Airstream is the only company out there that does not directly associate small with low quality and design.
overthatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #35
ETrax
 
2018 27' Globetrotter
Geneva , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
When we set out to buy an AS last year, we were all in on the 22 Sport. Felt like you got the most for your money. However, the longer I spent looking at different models, brochures, talking with my sales rep, and sitting in various AS, we ended up with the 27’ globetrotter. For me, spending time in the AS, one of the most important aspects are the views from inside the trailer. The wraparound window around the table is great and I felt like I would really miss that in the 22. In fact, the longer I sat in the 22, I started to feel a little closed in, with the rear of the trailer being taken up by the bathroom. Also, with it being skinnier, the interior SF is roughly the same as the 19 or 20. I also understood that the windows were not the same grade/quality/brand as the rest of the lineup.

Also, you really can’t get 4 around the table in the 22, unless 2 are kids. I can vouch for the fact that my AS does not hold temperature very long in the summer. The AC kicks on very frequently.

My advice would be the 20 over the 22 - it’s set up well for cooking. Good luck!
__________________
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.5eco
2016 Porsche Cayenne S
Etrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,117
Not sure how this took a turn away from discussion of a Sport22 vs FC20? If your looking for something outside AS brand, I saw a really nice model built in Oregon few weeks back, called an Outdoors model my camping neighbor had. http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/ true 4 season with dual pain glass, heated everything, and was impressive in the layout. Did not look "cheap" like many do inside. The bath was sizable, the storage inside was very thought out, it was a 23' model with a small dinning slide out, but very nicely layed out, we thought. If I were looking outside AS, I would surely take a closer look at these.
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member
 
Anytown , California
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure how this took a turn away from discussion of a Sport22 vs FC20? If your looking for something outside AS brand, I saw a really nice model built in Oregon few weeks back, called an Outdoors model my camping neighbor had. http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/ true 4 season with dual pain glass, heated everything, and was impressive in the layout. Did not look "cheap" like many do inside. The bath was sizable, the storage inside was very thought out, it was a 23' model with a small dinning slide out, but very nicely layed out, we thought. If I were looking outside AS, I would surely take a closer look at these.
Yea! That's a great model, too heavy for me. My TV is a large SUV.

The thread keeps straying because my needs are not best suited to an airstream, but my tow rating is. I want to keep my dry weight under 5k so i can easily go through west coast passes.
overthatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member
 
Hamburg , New York
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthatway View Post
Yea! That's a great model, too heavy for me. My TV is a large SUV.

The thread keeps straying because my needs are not best suited to an airstream, but my tow rating is. I want to keep my dry weight under 5k so i can easily go through west coast passes.
Check out Oliver and Bigfoot, only true 4 season campers I'm told
Louieless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthatway View Post
Yea! That's a great model, too heavy for me. My TV is a large SUV.

The thread keeps straying because my needs are not best suited to an airstream, but my tow rating is. I want to keep my dry weight under 5k so i can easily go through west coast passes.
Well then, I might share that we had a 17' Spirit Delux Casita for few years between our first AS, a 2006 25' Safari, and our second AS, a 2008 25' twin. The Casita was pretty nice, light weight, very functional, and easy to care for. We purchased a full queen size very comfortable foam mattress from Walmart, as was recommended on the Casita site. The Spirit Delux model has a separate dinning area for 2 so we did not need the larger dinning/bed conversion and just installed a permanent plywood platform with the mattress. Worked fine for our needs except, our boxer made it pretty interesting and could be cramped at times...which is why we went back to the 25' AS. One thing I didn't mention, is we purchased the Casita "used" 5 years old, after visiting the factory in TX. Found that a used Casita is pretty popular and we sold it for same as we paid, with a "line" of people interested in purchasing after 2.5 years of owning it. Safe investment if your not sure what your going to do...

If your not looking to use your trailer a lot, I can understand wanting to keep your current SUV TV as daily driver. For us, we have gone thru 2 brand new Tahoe's, and F150 Echoboost, and now have an F250 for TV's with our 4 AS's and Casita in the past 15 years. I guess it's all in your priorities...good luck!
__________________
Empty Nesters; Gypsies on the road!
2017 28' Twin Flying Cloud
2017 F250 King Ranch, 4X4, Blue-Ox WDH
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
waninae39's Avatar

 
2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,047
we have 2017 sport 22FB

if we were to replace it we would get a FC 23FB

why?
  • 9" wider
  • a bed than you can walk around and not have to crawl over your partner
  • like the sport 22FB it has a double sink -most AS has a single round sink (;
  • bigger grey tank
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #41
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6,238
Hi

The gotcha here is that you are shopping for a trailer that is (likely) more expensive than a tow vehicle. It also (likely) will out-last a tow vehicle by a factor of > 4X. With a typical person't trade in cycle on vehicles, that factor could be much higher.

Just like cars or trucks, trailers depreciate. Indeed you will find stories, but in the other 90% of the cases you take a hit on any of them. Buying the "right sized" trailer up front is *way* better than a progression of 19 -> 22 -> 23 -> 25 -> 27.

Even if you go out and buy it brand new, the basic pickup to tow any of the trailers above is < $30K. Bought "gently used" figure half that. The trade in on any of the steps above could cost you nearly as much as that used truck.

It's easy to get into a "this will tow that" corner based on looking at a select set of numbers. The gotcha is that there are a lot of numbers rather than just one single one. They all have to match up. That's true for the trailer *and* whatever you have loaded in the vehicle. SUV's often have issues way before the trailer alone becomes the limit. (so do some trucks ...).

Even with a vehicle that *will* tow this or that "by the numbers", you may not be happy with the result. There are mods you can do to fiddle this or that. There isn't a lot that will help something like an undersized engine. Yes, try it and see does work. You have to be ready to trade up if you see it does not work.

The alternative is to go a bit over when sizing a tow vehicle (which is what 90% of the people out there do). Then when the real world hits and they load it a bit heavier than they thought, it's ok. When they get into the mountains, it's barely ok. Once all that hits, oversize really isn't oversize anymore.

So, you have time. Go down and look at a range of models. See what fits and how it fits. Not so much fits the tow vehicle, but you and those with you. Can you sit here or there for extended periods of time (there are rainy days). Can you cook in the kitchen while others do their thing? Can everybody sit at the dinner table? Can they get in and out of the dinner table with reasonable effort? ( = do 4 people have to get up to let the one person out ?). Can everybody sit somewhere and see the television? Is there enough storage room? What if a friend or two comes along? Lots of things to look at.

You have the time ... do some looking.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member
 
Anytown , California
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The gotcha here is that you are shopping for a trailer that is (likely) more expensive than a tow vehicle. It also (likely) will out-last a tow vehicle by a factor of > 4X. With a typical person't trade in cycle on vehicles, that factor could be much higher.

Just like cars or trucks, trailers depreciate. Indeed you will find stories, but in the other 90% of the cases you take a hit on any of them. Buying the "right sized" trailer up front is *way* better than a progression of 19 -> 22 -> 23 -> 25 -> 27.

Even if you go out and buy it brand new, the basic pickup to tow any of the trailers above is < $30K. Bought "gently used" figure half that. The trade in on any of the steps above could cost you nearly as much as that used truck.

It's easy to get into a "this will tow that" corner based on looking at a select set of numbers. The gotcha is that there are a lot of numbers rather than just one single one. They all have to match up. That's true for the trailer *and* whatever you have loaded in the vehicle. SUV's often have issues way before the trailer alone becomes the limit. (so do some trucks ...).

Even with a vehicle that *will* tow this or that "by the numbers", you may not be happy with the result. There are mods you can do to fiddle this or that. There isn't a lot that will help something like an undersized engine. Yes, try it and see does work. You have to be ready to trade up if you see it does not work.

The alternative is to go a bit over when sizing a tow vehicle (which is what 90% of the people out there do). Then when the real world hits and they load it a bit heavier than they thought, it's ok. When they get into the mountains, it's barely ok. Once all that hits, oversize really isn't oversize anymore.

So, you have time. Go down and look at a range of models. See what fits and how it fits. Not so much fits the tow vehicle, but you and those with you. Can you sit here or there for extended periods of time (there are rainy days). Can you cook in the kitchen while others do their thing? Can everybody sit at the dinner table? Can they get in and out of the dinner table with reasonable effort? ( = do 4 people have to get up to let the one person out ?). Can everybody sit somewhere and see the television? Is there enough storage room? What if a friend or two comes along? Lots of things to look at.

You have the time ... do some looking.

Bob
Thanks Bob!
You just solidified what i was thinking.
__________________

overthatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basecamp, Sport 16, Sport 22, FC 19? Twitterpated 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 49 04-26-2017 05:53 PM
Sport 16' :: 2015 Airstream Sport DanielRDR Airstream Registry Discussions 0 10-05-2016 11:58 AM
2013/2014 Bambi Sport 16' Sport Wrap Windows in back? maureencrist 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 7 04-21-2014 09:46 PM
Airstream Sport 22fb :: 2013 Airstream Sport 22 fb boomerang1 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 07-21-2012 08:23 PM
Airstream Sport 22 :: 2011 Airstream Sport Lone Eagle0 Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 09:32 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.