Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Allentown , Pennsylvania
I have a 2018 22 FB Sport the microwave is also convection and an air fryer. Does a great job. Do all AS have heated grey/black water tanks? Mine are heated.

The Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flamingo View Post
I have a 2018 22 FB Sport the microwave is also convection and an air fryer. Does a great job. Do all AS have heated grey/black water tanks? Mine are heated.
That's good info!
Thank you

overthatway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Originally Posted by NWGetaways
The 22 Sport has:
A bigger bed
A bigger bath
Nearly as much counter space (take a tape measure and compare)
3-way fridge
Easier towing (lighter weight, narrower)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthatway View Post
I read the brochures and looked around them. I want to know what differences CANNOT be changed that would sway purchase to one or the other. I can cut a hole or wire a new accessory. I cannot make it have more exterior insulation or a different plumbing system.
Actually, he DID mention those things which cannot be readily-changed. You CANNOT do much to change the heavy FC20 weight vx the 22Sport....or the bath size, or the bed's comfort.

I have some experience with BOTH these models, and here's my take:

You said you will be hooked up with elect. all winter. That means you don't have to burn much propane because you can use portable electric heaters! One in the bath and one in the main cabin and you may never need your furnace at all.
You might be considering a winter-stay.... but these things are made for TRAVEL, and the 22Sport is much easier to tow because it weighs so much less and doesn't require wide-towing-mirrors. When winter is over, you'll appreciate the easier-towing 22Sport. (You might also consider your state's inspection requirements. Some states require annual inspections of trailers weighing more than 4500 lbs. The 22Sport is exempt where I live.
The 22Sport will easily, safely, simply tow on an ordinary ball hitch. We've been doing it for over 3 years and it greatly simplifies all aspects of hitching-up/towing/etc. The FC20 really needs a wt-dist hitch.
The FC20 has a ridiculous Emerg. Escape situation... with the Exit placed exactly where you are most likely to have a fire... the galley!...where you have to climb over a kitchen-counter and try to squeeze thru that smaller window!
If you are going to stay in it for an entire winter, you might wish to consider the entertainment situation. The Television can be watched from the sofa in a Sport... not so in the FC.
The Sport has a much better bed when you replace the sorry mattresses that AS puts in both models.
The insulation in both are the same, but you might consider installing heating-mats on all 3 tanks regardless of which model you settle on.
Lastly, the 22Sport is much less expensive, which will help finance any changes you DO plan to undertake.
Hope this helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Originally Posted by NWGetaways
The 22 Sport has:
A bigger bed
A bigger bath
Nearly as much counter space (take a tape measure and compare)
3-way fridge
Easier towing (lighter weight, narrower)

Actually, he DID mention those things which cannot be readily-changed. You CANNOT do much to change the heavy FC20 weight vx the 22Sport.
I have some experience with BOTH these models, and here's my take:

You said you will be hooked up with elect. all winter. That means you don't have to burn much propane because you can use portable electric heaters! One in the bath and one in the main cabin and you may never need your furnace at all.
You might be considering a winter-stay.... but these things are made for TRAVEL, and the 22Sport is much easier to tow because it weighs so much less and doesn't require wide-towing-mirrors. When winter is over, you'll appreciate the easier-towing 22Sport. (You might also consider your state's inspection requirements. Some states require annual inspections of trailers weighing more than 4500 lbs. The 22Sport is exempt where I live.
The 22Sport will easily, safely, simply tow on an ordinary ball hitch. We've been doing it for over 3 years and it greatly simplifies all aspects of hitching-up/towing/etc. The FC20 really needs a wt-dist hitch.
The FC20 has a ridiculous Emerg. Escape situation... with the Exit placed exactly where you are most likely to have a fire... the galley!
If you are going to stay in it for an entire winter, you might wish to consider the entertainment situation. The Television can be watched from the sofa in a Sport... not so in the FC.
The Sport has a much better bed when you replace the sorry mattresses that AS puts in both models.
The insulation in both are the same, but you might consider installing heating-mats on all 3 tanks regardless of which model you settle on.
That's what I needed.
Thank you.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Please follow up next spring with what you learn from your experience. It will help others immeasurably.

Have fun. And buy flannel sheets. We love ours any time it’s below 60 outside!
D2
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
We owned a 2006 19’ Bambi for 9 years and used it occasionally in the winter. If operating on battery power the stock propane heater works great but the electric fan is a power hog so your battery will only support 1 night before needing recharging. We pilufchased a small electric heater with a built in thermostat and powered it with a Honda 2000 generator and that combination worked great. If you have electric power you will have no problem keeping warm in the 20’ unit.

We sold the 2006 this spring and purchased the 20’ Flying Cloud you are considering in June of this year. We too were considering the 22’ sport but decided on the 20’ FC instead and are we ever glad we did. The layout on the 20’ FC fab is perfect. So much counter space in the kitchen, the bathroom is superior and the bed is in the front by itself. The tanks have electric heaters and the built in duck work is a nice option. The Windows on the 20’ are make by Airstream and are superior to the windows on the 22 Sport.

When we moved 3 years ago our 19’ Bambi served as home from Oct to May for our 85 lb Labrador and tabby cat. The electric heater kept the Airstream warm without a problemeven when the outside temp was in the teens.

My advice is buy the 20’FC. You’ll be glad you did and never look back!
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
i would compare a 22Fb sport with a FC 23 FB

only those two models have dual sinks, even much larger AS's only have a useless single round sink
i guess no one does dishes (;

only 3 reasons to get the FC23 over the sport 22
  • the bed has access on both sides
  • dual wheel and not single
  • more aisle space as the trailer is wider

downside
  • wider need wider TV mirrors
  • $20k more money
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as FC 23fb floorplan.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	322555   Click image for larger version

Name:	as sport 22fb floorplan.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	322556  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
A couple of additions to Boxite's post.
My FC20 has the emergency escape window at the dinette area and not over the galley sink. The television swivels out on a long arm and can be seen from anywhere. There are also tank heaters for super cold nights.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
i would compare a 22Fb sport with a FC 23 FB

only those two models have dual sinks, even much larger AS's only have a useless single round sink

i guess no one does dishes (;

[/LIST]

The FC 20 has dual sinks AND usable counter space.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #24
Pixie and The Gnome

1958 18' "Footer"
West Milton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flamingo View Post
Yes all AS have heated tanks.
PixieNGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #25
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Mine does not have heated tanks. The furnace when running will warm the tanks, at the cost of the propane.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
My tanks are heated by electric mats....12 volt
Old 09-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
CKK

Currently Looking...
Harrodsburg , Kentucky
A/S nice but what about....

As someone else said, the Outdoors RV trailers are beautiful and 4-season, but heavy. I would suggest looking at a 4-season Lance... great quality but just not so well known.
CKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
As someone else said, the Outdoors RV trailers are beautiful and 4-season, but heavy. I would suggest looking at a 4-season Lance... great quality but just not so well known.
I looked into a few of them. For the size i like, they are too heavy for my tow vehicle.