Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #21
_

. , .
2nd ac...

cost is an issue, true 'dat.

wiring, installation, loss of a fantastic fan vent and even drainage...

IF one wants in-the-wall-drainage, like on the typical 'stream...

it's a LOT of work to get the rear ac installed.

fr8shaker did this last year i think.

while she ordered her unit new with 50 amp wiring (a second 20 amp line for the 2nd ac)...

putting in the drainage tube required some interior wall surgery.

regardless of how u drain the a/c, one of the really NICE features of a 13.5 or 15,000 btu REAR ac is...

once the trailer is cooled down or when cooling needs are modest, the unit can be cooled JUST using the rear ac....

which makes the living area/galley a whole lot QUIETER while the ac is running...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Back when I ordered my Safari, only the Classic line had the 15k unit. I had some level of conversation before I said something to the effect "the 25' Classic is dimensionally the same as the 25' Safari right?"....they said "well yea", and I said "great, then put er in".....then they said "$250 upgrade", "I said just do it."

They did and I have to say, I can hang meat in full sun in 95+ degree outdoor temps.

Today, many of the 25s and larger (and not just the Classics) come with the 15k unit as an option. If you plan on going into high heat areas, don't let anyone tell you it cycles too much, it's overkill, etc. A 15k unit should be standard on any Airstream 25' or larger. 13.5k is good between 19 and 23, and 11k for a 16' would be fine. In your case, don't walk, RUN to the 15k unit. You won't be disappointed.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
First of all I'll say that you'll love the 28 ft. In my humble opinion as a rookie Airstreamer it's the best floor plan of the whole line. We have the 28' and we're really glad we got that one.

We upgraded to the 15,000 BTU unit and it's worth it. It does a great job of cooling in the heat of the New Mexico desert.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #24
_

. , .
chilled now or not?

the o.p. posted this question back in march...

and hasn't posted again since april.

and doesn't appear to have even logged in, to look since june.

my guess is he did/did not opt for a bigger 'stream

and has long since acquired whichever cooling unit.

so perhaps he's frozen or perished in the heat, but probably isn't still shopping cooling units.

ne1 wanna start a new thread on winterizing?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Don’t Even Think About a 13.5K AC!

When I was making the same comparison, I got all sorts of dire warnings that the 15,000 Btu unit would not run long enough to dehumidify the air resulting in less comfort than a 13,500 Btu AC. They all came from places like Vermont and Canada. Trust me, the 15K unit will get plenty or runtime! After living this summer with the 15K Carrier AirV, I am considering a 13.5K one. For a second air conditioner. I have a 34’ Excella in full sun in Arkansas. elolson and I have exchanged comments following my upgrade detailed in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ead-40795.html. And yes elolson, it did eventually reach 105 with 90%+ humidity this summer here in Little Rock. I did not have to completely close off the back, but did consider it a couple of times. I got by with closing the two vents that blow towards the rear and running the vent in the bedroom. Shorts and tank tops too.

There’s a post from Pennsylvania stating what a shame someone added an AC to a great looking vintage unit in Austin:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...13707-102.html. I’ll admit it would look better without it, but that’s all it would be good for in Austin without an AC. It’s different in the South.