Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
South Florida-If you could pick two. Where ?

Ya'll, I am travelling with my two small children this winter, and need to be in warm weather due to a health problem with my smallest child.

We are headed south, but need recommendations on RV parks. Any favorites out there? Like south of Orlando?
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
No recommendations, but the parks will fill up quickly. Wish you good luck, you might try thr west coast and areas just north of Tampa along I75. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My mistake, north of Tampa may be too cold for you. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Miami-Dade County - Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces - Larry and Penny Thompson Park
the park is pretty well booked so you might have to site hop if you stay a while.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
St Lucie South (near Stuart on the east coast), Long Key in the Florida Keys (as well as Curry Hammock), Jonathon Dickinson (also east coast).

Start booking now - you are already behind the curve...
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
There is a nice park in Tampa. Pool, near the bay. Clean. We'll be in the upper 70's to low 80's... with no humidity!

Bay Bayou RV Resort Tampa Florida

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
babsinFL

2007 28' International CCD
Naples , Florida
I am originally from NW IN (next to Chicago) so I can't believe I am saying this but Tampa is too cold for us now. We live in Naples, FL where the average high in January is 72. I don't think you are going to get high 70's low 80's in Tampa in the winter so you may want to double check weather.com.

I don't know what you are looking for exactly or your price range but Morgan RV Resorts is running some really good specials for long term stays. Check into Naples RV Resort. It is across the street from my house so feel free to PM me if you want more info. We had a friend move down here and we loaned him our AS at Naples RV Resort last winter. So we know the place pretty well.

Best of luck.
jverduzco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My parents were at the Clewiston/Lake Okeechobee KOA for a while, and my wife and I visited while they were there. It seemed a reasonably nice campground - great pool, Wii in the lounge (I assume it's still there), a couple outdoor things like the pedal carts to pedal around the campground (quite a workout, actually). However, Clewiston isn't exactly the hotbed of things to do, especially for young people... On the other hand, Fort Meyers, Orlando, and Miami are all approximately 2 hours' drive away, so it's not all bad, either.

(Note, this is the Clewiston/Lake Okeechobee KOA, not the very similarly named Lake Okeechobee KOA on the other side of the lake.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Marco Island is one very nice place, further south, lots of fulltime trailer parks there, bet people in this area will be nice to you with a famlly.

Good luck to you.
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfarmer View Post
Marco Island is one very nice place, further south, lots of fulltime trailer parks there, bet people in this area will be nice to you with a famlly.

Good luck to you.
I live on Marco Island and work in many of the RV parks located in the surrounding Naples/Ft. Meyers area. There are no RV campgrounds directly on Marco. Closest one is Silver Lakes RV Resort. There are several Class A only parks in the area also. The Naples KOA is a pit. Very close spaces and no charm what so-ever. I avoid the place like the plague!

Most if not all in this are are 'senior' parks, although there are no age restrictions that I know of, just a lot of older folk there. There are a plethora of parks in Ft. Meyers close to Ft. Meyers Beach. If you like State Parks, Collier Seminole State Park is close to Marco, but has a 2 week maximum in season and fills up fast.

Good luck in your search!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Travelers Rest near Dade City is an awful nice park. Check the website.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1975 31' Excella 500
Toronto , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to HeirsDreamJJ
SugarLoaf KOA, FL

Has anyone stayed at this KOA?
HeirsDreamJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
seacure

1989 32' Excella
1989 32' Excella
Venice , Florida
The Encore RV resort between El Jobean and Port Charlotte is very nice...good pool, hot tub, facilities, but not cheap.
seacure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeirsDreamJJ View Post
Yes, when our reservation at Bahia Honda State Park was cancelled through hurricane damage, and we had to find a site at short notice. At Sugarloaf KOA we were squashed into a small gap surrounded very closely on 3 sides by large motorhomes. Our Airstream's back window was just a couple of feet from the rear window of one of the monsters.
The grandchildren liked the pool, but you couldn't pay me enough to go back to that KOA.
Nick.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
In Florida if you want to be "almost" certain to stay above freezing you need to go to the extreme south if inland or stay near the coast where the ocean water's temperature knocks off some of the chill when those cold fronts come south. Our place is 70 miles south of Orlando near the center of the state and we still get several nights per season in the upper 30's and one or two nights we may get frost. For the last 3 years we have had heavy frost each winter once or twice.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
Silver Fern

1994 34' Excella
Berwyn , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to mcdowellc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeirsDreamJJ
We stayed at Sugarloaf two years ago, in March. Found the campground to be fine, clean and relatively quiet. We were not tightly crammed in and the only 'cons' were price (but it is the Keys) and there were a lot of students for spring break (but it was March). Bar had great chicken wings and dog loved the water (from boat launch not the beach). We would go back. Stayed in Marathon at Jolky Rogers. Surprisingly friendly, clean enough and affordable.
mcdowellc is offline   Reply With Quote