Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sometiming - Staying put a month or longer

I am curious as to how many people stay put for a month or a season from time to time. There is so much on boondocking and rallies and vacation tours but not as much from the folks that enjoy their staycations in their Airstreams. Where do or did you stay? How long do you stay? What locations and facilities were your best experience? How did you choose a spot to plant yourself down and make home base for awhile? Are there certain things to avoid or specifically seek out? Any advice, experiences, specifics or pictures would be appreciated.

I spent a month at a great KOA one winter in the pan handle at Aligator Point in Florida surrounded by a bay and the Gulf. Monthly rate was actually less expensive than a two week plus stay except one is responsible for their electricity and that was very little. There was fishing and shelling and biking. It was a lot like I remember camp as a kid. Unfortunately just the season that I discovered it was their last and sold for condo development.

With gas prices sky high, people will be staying longer, driving less frequently and looking for great places to stay. I know I am. What should one expect to spend in the spectrum of monthly rates? What is high, what is a good value point? Tell us about your place in the sun, (or shade, or snow )

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Monthly rate around here is $350-700 a month, depending on what and where.
Last place we were was $400, inlcuding electric and pool.
Traveler's Rest is $700, includes electric, pool, and greens fees.
The KOA I stayed when I sold our Overlander had a monthly rate of $270, plus electric.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Thought this'd get a lot of air time,

but maybe no one stays put for long "sometiming" or "staycationing" or whatever.

I'm new to the Airstream experience, but as I think back on dozens of years of various kinds of "camping" experiences, I don't think out of many hundreds of nights "out there" that I've EVER stayed more than two nights in the same place. And not often two nights. And when backpacking, I can't remember ever sleeping twice in the same place.

Maybe it's just wanderlust. Or ants in the pants. Maybe that's what makes an Airstream more attractive than some machines that are obviously designed to stay put more than to roll.

Maybe I'll have to try being in one place for a several-day stretch, to see what it's like. Then again, as they say, "It's hard to hit a moving target!"
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Everglades

This past winter we stayed put in Everglades National Park from Nov to Apr as volunteers. We worked in the interp department giving tours, working the Ernest Coe visitor center, Pine Island section of the Park. We had a full hookup site with other volunteers and seasonal rangers. We enjoyed it so much we are going back next winter, the weather was great and we got to interact with people from all over the world. We were very comfortable in the Tin Inn for the 5 months.
We also stay put in Rusticoville, Prince Edward Island, Ca for 3 months during summers, although this year we are going on the Alaska Caravan so staying put will be put on hold until next summer.
Spring and Fall are our mobile months.
If anyone is thinking of staying put for a while, consider volunteering in a state or federal location, they all need and appreciate the help. If you come to ENP next winter, look us up.
GreggH & CyndiH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fulltiming

My fulltiming experience is different from many people as I still work. (Own my own business, but still work). I pretty much hang out at one of two RV parks, but go to at least two rallies and take four to six trips for business.

The best part is never having to pack - or arrive and find you forgot your toothbrush or underwear.

This year, I've been visiting other sorta local parks. There are literally dozens of state and federal parks in Virginia that I've never visited. (It's notable that many NYC residents have never been to the top of the Empire State building... Before this year I had never stayed at Seashore State park, 10 miles from my business.

How many lovely places are there within 50 miles of your home base? If people from every other state and several foreign countries will come to visit your state, maybe they know something that you only take for granted.

I recently visited the house where a local witch lived during colonial times. We have a road "Witchduck Road" that commemorates her dunking. Interestingly enough when she was thrown into the river she struggled free, swam rather than sank, and did manage to make it to shore, returned to her home and lived a long rich life as what our generation would call a "liberated woman". This in the 1700's.

Now, do you want to hear the story associated with a street called "Pleasure House Road"? Yes, There really is a street in Virginia Beach, with that name.

Paula
Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
I am curious as to how many people stay put for a month or a season from time to time. There is so much on boondocking and rallies and vacation tours but not as much from the folks that enjoy their staycations in their Airstreams.

Where do or did you stay?
Miami

Quote:
How long do you stay?
Dec.-March

Quote:
What locations and facilities were your best experience?
Ingrid has wintered there for over 25 years after RVing here and abroad with her husband prior to that.

Quote:
How did you choose a spot to plant yourself down and make home base for awhile?
(Ingrid) trial and error and word of mouth. (Ricky) by Ingrid's trial & error

Quote:
Are there certain things to avoid or specifically seek out?
be cautious of places that have permanent residency. some are ok, some are not.

Quote:
Any advice, experiences, specifics or pictures would be appreciated.
Park and Recreation

Quote:
I spent a month at a great KOA one winter in the pan handle at Aligator Point in Florida surrounded by a bay and the Gulf. Monthly rate was actually less expensive than a two week plus stay except one is responsible for their electricity and that was very little. There was fishing and shelling and biking. It was a lot like I remember camp as a kid. Unfortunately just the season that I discovered it was their last and sold for condo development.
rates are cheap for the area and include electricity (for now as they are installing meter capable boxes) winter waiting list is about a 2 year wait but who knows what gas prices will bring.

Quote:
With gas prices sky high, people will be staying longer, driving less frequently and looking for great places to stay. I know I am. What should one expect to spend in the spectrum of monthly rates? What is high, what is a good value point? Tell us about your place in the sun, (or shade, or snow )
it is a friendly place. Ingrid says,"everyone is on vacation so they are happy!" i wish "our" space had trees, it did but a few hurricanes relocated them. many spots have shade which has other issues. there is not a whole lot to do IN the park until you make friends and the surrounding area offers what Miami has, just about everything! i was overjoyed to find both Northern tool AND Harbor Tool a short distance away.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
What a great thread! Thanks to you all.

Aage
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
At this moment we are workamping in Malibu Beach , CA and have been here since Jan. But we do have memberships , so we usually stay a min. of 2 weeks at a park. We are planning now to spend Jan and Feb in Palm springs ....We do have a home base in an airstream park . But we think this is a really long time to stay in one place.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Are you staying at the Malibu RV Park?

We have stayed there and like that park a lot.......
What park memberships have you found that you like? Will your Palm Springs stay be at a membership park? We are looking for a good place to stay in Palm Springs. Thanks, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
A few friends from NC move their "mobile mansions" as they call them from the NC coast to the NC mountains and commute by car or motorcycle.
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Nyssa , Oregon
Sometiming in Oregon

We recently purchased a farm in rural Oregon and last year a slightly used 2005 30' airstream.

The airstream is stored in the machine shed 10 months of the year. When we are on 'vacation' at the farm, we pull the airstream out of the machine shed and set up camp for 3 or 4 weeks.

And no I don't use the Husqvarna motorcycle to tow the airstream !

Electricity, phone and internet is available on site. Water is a bit of a hassle - we drag 80 gallons at a time from the filling station via garbage cans and fill the fresh water tank via a small pump. Grey water is dumped on site and black water is dumped on the 'back 40' once every two weeks or so. Needless to say we only use the toilets for 'heavy jobs'.

Temperature range of use is anywhere from the teens to over 100 degrees F. The climate is dry and we dont see much rain.

The logic was that construction of a new home would be +/- $300K. Interest and tax of $25K annually. If we defray construction for two years, we break even on the airstream and have it paid, either for continued mobile use or for resale.

So far (1 1/2 years and three months occupancy), the sometime airstream has worked out quite well. The only real failure as I have work to do on the stabilizers -- the lock bolts have fallen out. I can see drilling a water well this winter to cut down on the water supply hassle.
wingfooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
to answer SteSpot , we stay at membership parks in Palm Springs , but look into Encore Parks . They have different packages . One pkg is for the parks of the west ...around $550 for 52 weeks. ou have to move freq. Another is long term at several of their parks where if you stay 3 monthes or more you can stay alot cheaper.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
We spent last winter in the Southwest. Spent a month at Amado, Az, great park there, then went over to Huachuca City, Az and spent a month there, went back to Amado for another month and then headed up to Utah and bummed around at Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands and Arches, great park in Moab, UT. It's starting to get cool here in the Midwest, we'll be packing up soon and heading that way again.

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
As a fulltimer, I find that a weeks rent usually equates to half a monthly rate.
With that issue factored in, I do like to spend at least a month at a location to get a background feel of the community, and see the sights during midweek. Weekends are for the workers that haven't retired yet. Basically I'm scouting for a community to settle into, for when MY wheels fall off.

I HAVE to read the date on the previous post, , ,