Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thanks for the input!

We spent two ski seasons in French alps in the past two winters. (We homeschool and travel full time but station at one location in the winter without moving).

We stayed in a chalet. Life was very simple and singular: learning (homeschooling/French) and skiing. The rest was routine of living (shopping for grocery cooking sleeping).

We loved the simplicity of our winters. So that is where the ideas about spending time in the library and ski slope came from.

This time why do I want to do it with AS?

1. Since I do have an AS now. Either I store it or use it.

2. Want to motivate ourselves to be out skiing even more. We did around 50 days skiing this past winter. Didn't sound a lot but in fact we were quite motivated. It was a short season (snow came around mid January and pretty much gone by mid April)

But there were days, we were just too cozy and comfortable around the fireplace in the chalet to want to go out.

3. Cost driven. This is not the most important factor. But if I do save money than I can spend money on other things. Last season I chose not to have a car when living in French alps. I became fitter carrying my skis to catch bus, saved headache dealing with snow and used all the money saved for massages for myself and kids. )

So we could eat out more, more spa time and more massages...

What would be deal breakers in this set up for me?
1. Potential Damage to my AS and end up with costly repair

2. Too uncomfortable that my kids would threaten to run away from home if we continue...))

3. Logistic nightmare that I would spend more time dealing with issues than focusing on homeschooling and skiing

4. Some other unexpected issues.

For sure I will report back. Also I will still keep my tow vehicle with me but I probably will use the rv park's free shuttle, walk or cross country ski to our ski locker at the base (if I find one for the season) and then change to downhill skis. I don't like to drive in snow.

I do appreciate all inputs so I can anticipate or need to find accommodations with four walls for the season.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/slide
Los Osos , California
I know the park. Have you ever been to Whistler? They get tons of snow. We go often. We've had our best luck using VRBO. The Aspens on Blackcomb are very nice. I just checked them for the month of February 2017. Rates started at $2600 for the month. We usually get the Mountain Collective pass that gets you two free days at numerous ski slopes and half price after that, no blackouts. You should get your pass now if your planning to ski all winter. Jealous. It is one of the great areas of the world to ski or board.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Hi Josef

Yes I have visited whistler in winter twice in the past but I was not a skier at that time so it was not helpful to me now. skier and non skier are totally different perspective.

So no, I haven't visited whistler as skier. And haven't visited the rv park either.

I have already bought all our passes (early bird special). I did look into the mountain collective pass! One of the things on my list to do is to travel to all the resorts on the pass and ski at different resorts (my grand ski tour). Maybe in the future. Right now I don't want to drive in snow.

$2600/month, that is good price! I was seeing ca$6000/month based on Airbnb.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
FYI. good tips here

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/wint...age-1#comments
Old 08-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
I just passed through Whistler and definitely want it head back in the future to ski. How is the Sea to Sky towing in the winter?

There is one more Oregon option, Willamette Pass offers RV parking and has a handful of first come power poles. Also, the Mt. Hood resorts can be accessed from Hood River, which would be far less wintery and still a short drive to the resorts.

I haven't towed yet in the winter for a ski trip, but it is definitely on my soon to do list!

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 Crew Longbed
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadmywing View Post
Thanks for the input!

We spent two ski seasons in French alps in the past two winters. (We homeschool and travel full time but station at one location in the winter without moving).

Let me start by saying: I hate you. 😄 But I'll add that it's 100% jealousy driven. Haven't had a chance to read the rest yet but plan to. I may PM you as well. My wife and I have been discussing how we spend a few "semesters" abroad with our 7yr old someday.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Let me start by saying: I hate you. 😄 But I'll add that it's 100% jealousy driven. Haven't had a chance to read the rest yet but plan to. I may PM you as well. My wife and I have been discussing how we spend a few "semesters" abroad with our 7yr old someday.

Haha, do shoot me messages. It was absolutely amazing experience skiing in the French Alps, Italian alps and Swiss alps (we were in the cross road of three countries). My kids skied really well (7 and 10). Son was in a racing club. The quality of ski instructors and ski clubs were first rate). I became an enthusiastic intermediate skier from non skier. In the past we tried to escape the winters. Now it seems all other three seasons were just fillers for the winter to arrive. )) (I do love the other three seasons).

Skiing for the whole season is not just for enjoyment but also for the fact that it is more economical than taking week long ski trips.

I really think it is feasible for me to winter rv in my AS. We will see )
Old 08-26-2016, 12:20 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Nags Head , North Carolina
Regarding chains. On Mt Hood they require "drag chains" on all trailers. This means you have to have chains for one axel of your trailer. I am planning on using cable chains as they fit close to the tire, are easy to install and remove, light in weight, and cost effective. I would also use them on other western mountain passes I have travelled.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/slide
Los Osos , California
Just booked a month at Park City RV Resort for Feb. 2017. I have Z chains for the toad, a Ford Explorer. I'm picking up the SCC Z-chains for my rig. Hopefully won't need them. Here's to a snowy winter.