Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
RV Resort Restrictions

Does anyone else get tired of hearing that you have to have a newer (within 10 years old) motorcoach or 30 ft+ 5th wheel to camp at certain RV resorts? I have been looking into long term leases and lot ownership at some nice RV resorts and am constantly running into these restrictions. It is incredibly frustrating. My airstream is 10x higher quality than many of the 5th wheels they'll let in, but apparently no one cares. Am I the only one ticked off about this?
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
To the average person all airstreams look the same. If I put armorall on my tires, my 1999 looks like a 2014
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've noticed a few stating the 10 year rule but not mentioning they type of RV or length. If they specify a minimum length that is their rules and you'll have to take your business elsewhere. They are a private business and should be able to set their own policies even though we might disagree with some of them.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
I agree that most Airstreams look the same (at least for the last 15 years or so) so just put an age on the check in form that works. My 2012 will soon be a 2014!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Private companies, it's their decision probably to lazy to qualify legitimate exceptions, such as a good looking older AS. Does not bother me, in fact I would not want to camp anyplace that did not want my AS. Lots of places we have found love to have an AS or more in their facility - adds class.

Good Luck
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I gave never come across this situation before, so no it does not bother me. If it did come up, no big deal as there are plenty of other places that are very happy to have my business.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you get to know the owners/managers of a campground they'll tell you horror stories of construction gangs moving in with an ancient, beat to crap fiver, that has 15 to 20 workers sleeping like stacked cordwood with all of them using the camp showers heavily, and drinking and carousing all over the place.

The goal is to refuse beat up units in bad repair full of people who'll trash the campsite and the surrounding area the way they've already done to their trailer.

Unfortunately an older SOB will generally look like hell - with carelessly applied tar on the roof and dripping down the sides, paint that's oxidized, fiberglass that's becoming more "fiber" every day, and the ratty remains of an awning whose fabric started to deteriorate seven years ago.

Of course some Airstreams can look that bad too, like the one recently shown with hail scars and about six inches of foam slathered on top.

When they ask how old your unit is, say "it's an Airstream" and don't be surprised if that's all the answer they want to hear.

Paula
Old 02-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We have run across this a few of times in our travels. It does not seem fair to draw a line on the calender and be so inflexible. We have a fully ground up restored 2013-1964 Safari that has more high end amenities and upgrades than the new 2015 AS do. However because of the original year of manufacture, I can not stay in those places. I guess I could say it was a 2013, however I am proud that it is a 1964. So I stay elsewhere. As most of us know, that is there loss.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
Before I traded her in for my AS my 2001 well maintained Bigfoot got a year younger every year after she turned 10. No one batted an eye.

I think the RV park owners (some of them) want to discourage their RV park from looking like a homeless camp. There are plenty of those around here (homeless camps and RV parks that look like them).

It's the "motorcoach resorts" that drive me nuts.....like they're all that. Just in their minds. I feel for them and all of that tonnage they haul around. It has to be a drag.
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
We ran into that situation in Parker ,AZ at a RV park that was located in the industrial area of town . We were in our new 17' Casita and they said we were to small. They had length and age restrictions. To Bad, their loss of a nights rent.

We found a nice RV park on Lake Mead that was nicer and was less expensive. While there a fellow Casitan dropped in and we had a great time.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen5 View Post
Does anyone else get tired of hearing that you have to have a newer (within 10 years old) motorcoach or 30 ft+ 5th wheel to camp at certain RV resorts? I have been looking into long term leases and lot ownership at some nice RV resorts and am constantly running into these restrictions. It is incredibly frustrating. My airstream is 10x higher quality than many of the 5th wheels they'll let in, but apparently no one cares. Am I the only one ticked off about this?
There was one RV resort in Alabama that didn't want to let me in with my Class B and toad, until I mentioned my class B was an Airstream Interstate. Then it was all, "Welcome! Glad to have you!" My Interstate was the smallest RV in the whole place.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
The first time I made a reservation at Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort, they told me they had a 10 year old rig rule, but made exceptions to the rule if you passed their exterior inspection.

At the time, we had a 1963 Flying Cloud with a year old polish job and they allowed us to stay.

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Any 'Resort' that allowed me in I wouldn't want to stay at anyway. :

Bob
Attached Images

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Now that has to be either W.C Fields or Groucho Marx, I can't recall which - I suspect the latter!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Now that has to be either W.C Fields or Groucho Marx, I can't recall which - I suspect the latter!

Brian
Say the secret 'woyd' and win $50...............It was Groucho.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Yeah, sometimes I wish I was home shoveling snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greats-resorts-scenic-florida-rv-resorts-luxury-florida-resorts-tripadvisor-florida-resorts-tamp.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	232216  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Send a picture taken the day you washed and waxed it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
This is why we 'need' more 'Airstream only' parks!!! Who wants to throw some money at that idea?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My 2004 was built in Oct 2003. So it hit its 10th birthday this last fall. For all intents it will be "9" years old for the rest of it's life. I think in 40 years of camping I've only run into this question twice. In one case I remember they guy asking the question as he glanced out the office window, and in the same breath he said, "oh you have an Airstream. No need to ask you this question.". In the other case I had a Hi-Lo and while it was over 10 years old, when the guy asked the question and I honestly answered, he walked over to the door and looked at it and said you're okay. That trailer was always garaged and looked as good at year 14 as it did on day 1.

On the other hand the only case of campground thievery I have ever run into was at a large campground in Myrtle Beach N.C. Folks pull up next to my site in an absolute wreck of a trailer which was most likely in excess of 10 years of age. The thing truly was a mess. I remember that the folks had no bumper caps for their sewer line hose, and also no wheel blocks or stabilizers. The air conditioner shroud was partly missing also. I remember when setting up they had to go to the campground store to buy a sewer hose. It really looked like it was the first time they had the trailer out. It was leaning to one side due to it not being level and they used a towel for a door mat which became muddy since they covered a low wet spot in front of the door step with the towel. They bought a sewer line hose at the campground store.

The occupants were two young guys and a gal with 2 small kids running around all day in diapers only. Bottom line the following day one of the guys broke his leg while there (don't know how he did this). Next day they were packing up to leave. I was sitting in my car with Patty and wrote some last minute checks out. They were pretty much packed up and they were staring at us sitting in the car. Once done Patty and I went to the post office to mail some bills. We got back and I noticed they were gone. I also noticed that my bumper caps were missing from my SOB trailer and my aluminum aircraft wheel chocks (my brother who is a pilot gave them to me) were also gone. I'm pretty sure those folks took them and I'm surprised they didn't take my stabilizer jacks too, unless they felt that the trailer might have rolled away. Maybe a 10 year old rule might have saved me. Who knows.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
Will I work part time at a Rv place and we allow any kind of Rv or trailer. And I will be giving out a gift to all airstreams who stop by this year! The Rv place is Worlds of Fun Village and they will be open in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote