Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
st. ann , Missouri
Renting home while full timing

Greetings Gang.

I have been full-timing since May of this year.
Full-timing came about due to a new job.

I have adjusted to the full-time life and have decided to rent out my home.

I just spoke with my insurance company regarding insuring my home.
The insurance company stated I would need a secondary primary residence to obtain a landlord policy. My Airstream is not considered a primary residence through insurance company.

Can someone in a similar situation suggest a insurance company or alternative.

Many thanks!
Mark
Softshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Primary Residence

Many full-timers research a state like Texas and South Dakota that do not have a state income tax. In SD you spend one nite in the state and get a mail forwarding service like America's Mailbox and you obtain a SD drivers license. We also registered our AS and truck in SD. That is our primary residence and if you notice a lot of full-timers have SD and Tx plates. Hope that helps!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Lease our house

We also have leased our house in NC
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark910234 View Post
My Airstream is not considered a primary residence through insurance company.
I am not a full-timer, but I researched this subject back when my retirement plan was a live-aboard boat, before medical problems put that idea to rest and I wisely decided to buy an Airstream instead.

Your Airstream is not considered a primary residence by anybody official. It's not just your insurance company that's the problem.

The IRS and US Postal Service both say that legally you need to have a "domicile." Chattel property such as an RV or boat cannot legally be a domicile; only real property (owned or rented) can be a domicile.

Your domicile address affects all sorts of things: Taxes. Mail. Voter Registration. Driver's license renewal. Where you have to serve jury duty; being a full-timer doesn't exempt you from jury duty, so pick someplace you can travel to when you get the summons!

The US Postal Service has rules about what constitutes a domicile. A post office box or a private mailbox is not a domicile either. Here's how it works for USPS… when you rent a post office box or private mailbox, you have to fill out an application, and you have to list your domicile address on it. The US Postal Service has the right, if they so choose, to send a registered letter to your domicile address, return receipt requested. The return receipt means that it can't be sent to your mailbox, because no one lives at your mailbox can sign for it. It will be sent to the street address. If it's sent to a street address that doesn't have a live person in residence (doesn't have to be you, just someone who will sign for your mail), the Federal Government can prosecute you for fraud.

Companies that offer you a mailbox to serve as your domicile address have one thing in common: they are staffed during business hours, by a person who can sign for registered letters, packages, and other things you might receive that need a signature confirmation. As long as someone can sign the receipt for the USPS confirmation letter, USPS knows that it's a valid address, and you're good. Doesn't matter if that service has or doesn't have a place big enough for you to park your Airstream; it still meets the letter of the law, though not the intent of the law.

Companies like Escapees go a step farther; they operate domiciles for full-timers, that are big enough for full-timers to actually stay there from time to time. Maybe not all of their clients at the same time, perhaps, but still… Because their service comes with camping privileges, they're a bit closer to the intent of the law than other companies that just offer mailboxes and forwarding services.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
When we sold our house we lost our umbrella policy and our homeowners liability coverage. Took a little while before we found Progressive's policy for full-timers. We now have good coverage against stuff that shouldn't happen in or at our RV.

We kept our state residency first by listing a brother's address, then a different relative a couple of years later. Changed from brother's because health insurance rates for his area jumped a bunch. Rates reset to prior level by moving over one county, to other relativ's house.

We receive almost no mail at their houses. Escapees collects nearly all of it and hold for our next forwarding instruction. Still arriving at relative's house are only the following: Bd of Elections, Sheriff's dept, junk mail, and, occasionally an errant sender who doesn't understand our mail forwarding requirement.

Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
Miller Insurance Agency
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote