Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I went "over da wall". Couldnt take another day!
LilNomad

LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #16
Good Times!

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Jasper , Georgia
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I am a CPA and currently work in the federal government. I won't bore you all with the details of what makes the job soul crushing. I'll just say that I don't feel like I am making a difference or doing anything meaningful with my job. There are a lot of people just buying their time until retirement. I understand why... the benefits are great. It's never easy to leave a cushy job, but i have an awesome husband who will support me in whatever I want to do. If I go out on my own, I'll be doing accounting work for small businesses which I have done in the past while I worked for somebody else. I'll be starting from ground zero though. Leaving a six figure job to start at nothing is a mental hurdle I have to overcome. On the plus side, the airstream will get out of storage more and we could really see some amazing places next summer. You can't get time back, right? Thank you all again for giving me your perspective.

great2beadaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I started my own LLC eleven years ago. I haven't regretted it, but there are pluses and minuses with every decision. As a CPA, you should be able to make that kind of gig work if you want to.

BUT -- if you choose that path, make sure you go in with your eyes wide open. The self-employment taxes in particular are likely to make you question why you were even born. And you will have to also pay for a smorgasbord of insurances, including errors and omissions (professional liability). And you will also have to pay your own Workers Comp, believe it or not. And the first question is, how could anyone get injured during CPA work?! Well, if you are building a client base, you will routinely visit clients, and if you become injured on a client site (e.g., fall down a flight of stairs), your regular medical policy absolutely will not cover you. And the best companies will not hire you as a financial consultant unless you have all of those expensive ducks in a row and can produce the paperwork to prove it.

** Disclaimer: I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advice. This is just me speaking from personal experience. **

You will probably find that you have to work MUCH harder as your own LLC to net the same amount of money. That is why our society is not flooded with sole-owner LLCs. Many try. Many succeed but still end up concluding that it's easier to let someone else handle all that overhead, so they go back to a salaried position. And don't even get me started on collections.

^^ All that mess being the case, it does open the door to vastly different working styles. For one thing, it's arguably a better path if all you want to do is work part time instead of full time. American employment paradigms do not provide viable part-time options. You are full time with benefits, or you are not hired.

For another thing, you are on Air Forums with this thread, so maybe you would like to work toward a combined lifestyle of some kind of travel plus work. That becomes more achievable with self-employment. To save me from re-typing the same points, here's a screengrab of a recent Instagram post I did along that theme (if it's too downsampled to read, go to Insta). I was aiming this message at the #vanlife community, but it's equally relevant to trailer folk.

InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
I had an extremely fun, gratifying job for about 20yrs., then I was transferred and things went downhill fast. I hated the new post but I had responsibilities. I put 3 kids thru college, paid for 3 weddings and my wife was an insurance company's worst nightmare so basically, I felt obligated to stick it out. I lasted another 15yrs making the most of it which in the last 5, finally irritated my employer enough to offer me a lucrative buyout and early retirement. My moral is that for me at least, I got a pot of gold at the end of my raincloud. Best of luck!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you do head out on your own, consider something that many do not - how do I exit this "job"? You obviously can just walk away. You also can set up so that an ongoing business relationship can be transferred to somebody else. Each approach has it's plusses and minuses.

Next on the list: Is where I am a good place to do this? We moved many many times chasing "the job" over the years. That impacted "the other job" quite a bit. Some places were not quite so good for both carriers. Optimizing this part is not at all easy ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by great2beadaw View Post
I'm turning 40 next year. I am pausing to reflect on what that means. Does it mean that I really have to stay at this job which has no purpose for twenty or so more years? I know it's good to have a job that pays well, has great benefits and gives me steady paycheck, but for some reason that's not enough to get me up every morning until retirement. I wonder if this is a phase that soon shall pass. Or, if my urge to quit my traditional job and freelance so I can have more time to make memories with my husband in our airstream is pulling at me for a reason. For those of you that went outside the box with your career, do you have any regrets?
Boy, that is a question that is unique to each and everyone one of us. Not a good answer to your dilemma. The good in it, is you are asking that question of yourself before its too late to do anything about it.

Maybe another way to reflect on your thoughts is to put yourself on your death bed. Ask yourself two questions: what did I do improve the life of others? Second question, if I had to do it all over again, would I have done it differently put it in another way, do I regret not taking another path?

Good luck my friend. It is always a good idea to question yourself, as you are doing, but never doubt yourself!

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You will not ever get over that feeling.
If you are like me, although it is unfulfilling, you will stay at your job 20 more years for the stability and security.
At least in 2 years I will get another week of vacation for a total of 4 weeks.
I am 48.
My spirit was broken several years ago...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Do both!

I went through a similar "phase" when I hit 39 (28 years ago). I had a great job in the IT industry but was burned out. Back then I was an avid backpacker. I gave my boss 4 months notice and let him know that come August 1 (1989), I was leaving. I gave up my apartment, sold a bunch of stuff, put keepsakes in storage, packed up my Jeep Cherokee with all my backpacking/camping gear and hit the road. I spend the next 5-6 months touring back roads of CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, NM, UT, AZ. Small towns, Indian ruins, ski towns, hiking, hiking, hiking. Best time of my life! When I "returned to civilization", I took my time finding another job. I was gutsy then. When I look back on it, I turned down a couple of jobs until I got what I wanted. I was very lucky. Anyway, I have been working again now since 1990 and plan to retire at the end of this year. However, those 5-6 months on the road were incredible. The exact opposite of your "soul crushing" description. Soul saving in my case. Do it! You can always return to work at some point in the future, should you choose to do so. One final thing to share with you. Mid-way through my 5-6 month journey, I remember coming back from a short 1/2 mile hike to a lookout point at one of the beautiful Native American parks in Utah. As I approached my Jeep, a big class A RV pulled up right behind me and the driver asked me if I had just returned from the such-and-such trail. I said yes, and he asked me to describe what I had seen, in detail, to he and his wife. He explained that his wife was in bad health and couldn't hike that far. They had waited their entire lives to save up enough money, retire and get out on the road. Well, now they were retired and had the money, but his wife didn't have the health to fully enjoy their life long plan. DON'T WAIT. There is no guarantee of what tomorrow holds for us.
D2LLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #23

Currently Looking...
Tulsa , OK
Care Free does have a cost

Hi there! Thought I would share my experience as someone that has worked for a very long time, left a job with the same company after 26 years and now is considering a more "flexible" simple lifestyle. I left my corporate job in December 2011 and since then have done a variety of consulting jobs and real estate. I moved to the beach (bucket list) and then after a couple of years, realized I love it more as a vacationeer. As I am thinking about my next bucket list item (the RV), I am using what I have learned in the past few years about money before making a leap. Here's the deal.... you do need money to live. How you choose to live will equal what kind of money you need on hand. Gig employment has become very popular and has many perks. However, without some kind of savings, it can also be stressful. Also, if you are used to making a certain amount of money and then that has an abrupt change, be very prepared to make those abrupt changes to your spending habits. I've become a bargain queen, love the Dollar Store, never eat out, drink less wine, and still am happy that I work from home, in my jeans, flip flops or Uggs. As I am thinking about this possible RV lifestyle, I'm doing lots of research through these forums and the bloggers on YouTube. What I hear all the time is there is always maintenance on the RV, unless boondocking, there are fees to park and camp, some are not cheap. For me personally, storage if I'm not traveling full time, will be an expense (haven't decided this part yet). What all the RV experts have taught me in my research is that you will spend money and if I am going to do this, have money saved for the unexpected and start up costs - Care Free is great, however, it's not free. My two cents.
DawnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Soul Crushing

It is sad we have to work and wait until retirement. I pulled the plug early at 62. Got rid of all my stuff and hit the road. You can live on a lot less, and get alot more.

Gas, Groceries, Green Fees and Camping.

A pay check encourages you to buy stuff you really don't need.

Good luck!

www.road2reinvention.net

Alison
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Although I've had "soul crushing" jobs from time to time, my "problem" is that I like challenges and get bored easily (and also don't mind working 12-14 hr days for long stretches if I enjoy what I'm doing). Consequently, I've "redefined" myself & moved into different areas of work every 10-15 years, typically without batting an eye about looking backwards & seeing "what I might be missing." At 62, I did it again, and in the following ten years made up in $$$, enough in 10 years to retire comfortably, and certainly in satisfaction whatever I had left behind before. Throughout, I've had no regrets --- my life, I don't care for boredom and like learning and applying new ideas.

When I did a big career shift in my early 30s, my mother, raised in the depression, just about had a cow, "Richard, you've worked long and hard to get where you are now and have a respectable job that's making you good money and providing you with good benefits." Later, she told me that she let that go, on the notion that she felt one of my qualities was a remarkable ability to land on my feet. When I did it again in my early 40s, numbers of my colleagues took me aside, asked me furtively how I was doing it, and told me they wished they could do it themselves but felt "locked in" to their present position. While I may be unable to recommend this life course for others, it's worked for me and been fun (but not without a lot of crashes and, in time, pulling myself out of holes that I've dug).

My best to you whatever you decide. I don't think you can make a "mistake." Every person is special and unique. Whatever you decide will be right for you.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by great2beadaw View Post
I'm turning 40 next year. I am pausing to reflect on what that means. Does it mean that I really have to stay at this job which has no purpose for twenty or so more years? I know it's good to have a job that pays well, has great benefits and gives me steady paycheck, but for some reason that's not enough to get me up every morning until retirement. I wonder if this is a phase that soon shall pass. Or, if my urge to quit my traditional job and freelance so I can have more time to make memories with my husband in our airstream is pulling at me for a reason. For those of you that went outside the box with your career, do you have any regrets?
I hear your dilemma. I am a CPA as well and am in the process of retiring at 62. I have never worked in government, but always thought those jobs would be mind numbing boring. My 2 cents, life is too short to stay in a job your are not enjoying. As a CPA, you have many options and will always be highly employable. You have many choices. Going out on your own isn't as scary as some have made it sound. I had my own firm for a while when our kids were little and I needed more time at home than the Big 6 CPA firm I was with allowed. You could work tax season for another CPA or pick up some books to keep for small businesses. It would be fairly easy to hone those skills with a CPE course if needed. You could move to industry at some point. I am CFO for a commercial real estate company and have loved that job. My point, you have a ton of choices. Recognize you have many options, but don't keep doing something that doesn't fill your soul. Life is far too short. Change is scary. Best of luck to you!
WBAC #5932
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
where would you rather they find the body, slumped over your desk or in the trees?
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nobody ever died wishing they spent more time at work...

My only issue is that since I retired, jobs keep finding me...

One of these days I need to actually retire, cut off email and phone, and relax. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the absolute fact that, push come to shove, I can walk away from my job and be perfectly happy.

It also helps that I can stand up to someone that thinks they are in charge, tell them exactly what I think, and make it stick--lack of fear of retaliation is a great thing...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote