Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Recommendations for RV parks in SoCal & AZ ?

We are doing our first recon mission heading south for the winter from Colorado. Any of ya'll have first hand experience w/ upscale, clean, quiet, parks in southern Arizona or southern California that we could stay in comfortably for a few months? There are so many in the Mesa/Apache Junction area that it is hard to weed out the nice (non-residential) ones. And San Diego to Ventura is a complete mystery. Any suggestions or hints appreciated.
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Beaches!

The Malibu Beach RV park maliburv.com is awesome! Most sites have ocean views. Dockweiler RV park is a Los Angeles county run RV park that's right on the beach. One of my fav's is Bolsa Chica state beach...has an RV park with hook ups and there's a hundred things to do in the area.

If you have any military or federal government affiliation there are several military bases on the coast with RV parks. In fact, some of the Navy RV areas on the beach in the San Diego area are open to the public on a space available basis.

There are a bunch of beautiful RV facilities all along the coast and in SoCal. Do some internet searches and you find too many to choose from!

Mike
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We have friends who stay for a month at a time at Chula Vista RV in southern San Diego area. We have stayed there several times and have always found it to be clean, quiet and very nice. A walk out the back gate and you are on the park/walkway to the marina and several nice places to eat. It's about a 15 minute drive to downtown San Diego, and another 10 minutes or so to Mission Bay at the north end of San Diego.

If you want to stay in the San Diego area, this is the place.

San Diego RV Parks Resorts Camping Campgrounds
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
East Shore RV Park (East LA) is surprisingly great. Get a "preferred view" site as you have a great view of Puddingstone Lake. Also a 9 mile walking/bike path. Small airport is nearby. If you like to watch small planes taking off, you'll love it! East Shore Rv Park
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
You look into Yuma? Only a couple of hours from San D and Phoenix and a bit warmer and less expensive than either.
Clawdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdan View Post
You look into Yuma? Only a couple of hours from San D and Phoenix and a bit warmer and less expensive than either.
Thanks, and yes we did, but I'm looking to be close to twisty mountain roads for the motorcycle. We have also been told to look around Temecula as there are nice parks, amenities close by, and good riding fairly close at hand.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Try Anza Borrego SP

Motozen,
Sounds like a SoCal tour might help. Try Anza Borrego State Park for a base, great rides into the local mountains or great weather this time of year on the desert.
Get a day run out to Temecula and or San Diego to see the parks via the bike vs. hauling your AS and hoping for a spot.
Sunrise highway through the Laguna Mountains, lunch in Pine Valley, loop through the Cuyamacas and dine in Julian before heading back to base.
Anza B is pretty quiet this time of year, we plan on heading that way on New Years.
Lots of SoCal options. Our two pennys worth. Oh, don't count the Yuma area out, nice paddle and fishing on the river this time of year, Squaw Lake areas (BLM), (we also go to Martinez Lake).
Hey, you ride Safe... Miss my bike-
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebob View Post
Motozen,
Sounds like a SoCal tour might help. Try Anza Borrego State Park for a base, great rides into the local mountains or great weather this time of year on the desert.
Get a day run out to Temecula and or San Diego to see the parks via the bike vs. hauling your AS and hoping for a spot.
Sunrise highway through the Laguna Mountains, lunch in Pine Valley, loop through the Cuyamacas and dine in Julian before heading back to base.
Anza B is pretty quiet this time of year, we plan on heading that way on New Years.
Lots of SoCal options. Our two pennys worth. Oh, don't count the Yuma area out, nice paddle and fishing on the river this time of year, Squaw Lake areas (BLM), (we also go to Martinez Lake).
Hey, you ride Safe... Miss my bike-
Thanks Bob. I'm familiar w/ Anza Borrego from my old off road days. We just met a couple from Julian (they stopped to ask about the Airstream) and they hit pretty much the same points that you did. Sorry to hear that you're not riding any more. Just got a new Ducati, so I'm looking for mostly paved twisties...zoom zoom before I get too old for it.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Duc and an Airstream

Sold the FJR to support my new/vintage aluminitis, a 1970 Safari for getting the grandkids out comping. Plenty of places to ride in the SD area, don't pass up Mt. Palomar though the state closed the campground up there.
Have fun and visit, especially if you have a 998-
Ride Safe,
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
crystal cove is new. opened on the forth of july 2011. I haven't stayed there myself but location is on the coast. Next to Laguna Beach and Newport Beach 6 miles north up PCH
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
We have friends who stay for a month at a time at Chula Vista RV in southern San Diego area. We have stayed there several times and have always found it to be clean, quiet and very nice. A walk out the back gate and you are on the park/walkway to the marina and several nice places to eat. It's about a 15 minute drive to downtown San Diego, and another 10 minutes or so to Mission Bay at the north end of San Diego.

If you want to stay in the San Diego area, this is the place.

San Diego RV Parks Resorts Camping Campgrounds
I agree, good idea.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote