Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #1

Freeport , Maine
Smile Questions about financing, insurance, etc.

Hi y'all. I'm new here and looking to get an Airstream to begin full-timing sometime this year. Forgive the multiple questions, but this seems better than starting multiple threads.

Here 's what I'm wondering:

1. What are the best places to look for financing for the AS? Any companies to avoid? And will RV financing places also provide a loan for a tow vehicle, or do I have to get that separately?

2. If doing separate financing, is it better to get the tow vehicle first, and then apply for a loan on the AS? Or do I do them closer together and explain to the two companies what I'm doing (so it's clear why there are closely timed inquiries on my credit report)?

3. Any suggestions for RV insurance companies to use? Any to avoid?

4. If I'm full-timing in the Airstream, can I maintain a regular auto insurance policy on the tow vehicle? Or do I need a special kind of policy on it? Do regular auto policies tend to make full-timers exempt?

Thanks for any insight y'all can offer!
CloudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, CloudWalker! This is the place to come for answers to all your Airstream questions.

As I am a Canadian, and as such have little to no knowledge of the American lending system, I am not worthy to give even guesses about what the best answers to your questions are.

Except one:

Common knowledge says to buy your TT (travel trailer) first, since it will determine to a large degree what you will need in a TV (tow vehicle).

And, from a lender's point of view, I would suggest that a person having a TT would appear a likely candidate to need a TV to tow it.

It's interesting to see that you are asking the questions BEFORE you make the investment. Good idea!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #3

Freeport , Maine
Thanks, Aage. I have been researching good TVs for the model AS I want, so I have an idea of what goes with what. Just not sure of what order to make the purchases, and where to get the $$.

What you suggested about getting the AS first makes complete sense. And I'm here to learn all I can. Definitely appreciate the input from those who are wiser than I about the AS products and lifestyle.
CloudWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Welcome Cloudwalker!

Have you thought of getting and Airstream motor home? You get a TV & TT together. There are a few out there for sale.

I don't see how full timing or not applies to a TV insurance, or when it would be any different, except the mileage dfactor. You don't live in the TV, just the TT.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudWalker View Post
Hi y'all. I'm new here and looking to get an Airstream to begin full-timing sometime this year. Forgive the multiple questions, but this seems better than starting multiple threads.
Welcome.

Quote:
1. What are the best places to look for financing for the AS? Any companies to avoid?
For a new or near-new trailer I find that credit unions offer the best rates, if you can find one where you meet the eligibility criteria. Many banks will also provide financing. Older trailers are difficult to finance.

Quote:
And will RV financing places also provide a loan for a tow vehicle, or do I have to get that separately?
It is my experience that they have to be financed separately. A problem this poses is that the way the credit system works, your credit score will go down when you take out the first loan, possibly affecting the rate for the second.

Quote:
2. If doing separate financing, is it better to get the tow vehicle first, and then apply for a loan on the AS? Or do I do them closer together and explain to the two companies what I'm doing (so it's clear why there are closely timed inquiries on my credit report)?
Usually the trailer loan will be for a larger amount and longer term, so you should ideally get that one first. Besides, you will want to know exactly what trailer you will be towing when selecting a tow vehicle.

Quote:
Any suggestions for RV insurance companies to use? Any to avoid?
For newer trailers most auto insurance places provide good coverage at reasonable rates. For older trailers concerns about valuation arise so you would want to review the insurance section of these boards for details as the topic is complex.

Quote:
If I'm full-timing in the Airstream, can I maintain a regular auto insurance policy on the tow vehicle? Or do I need a special kind of policy on it? Do regular auto policies tend to make full-timers exempt?
My general advice to would-be fulltimers is that you really should try traveling for a while before deciding that a trailer is where you want to live year around.

Most fulltimers find it helpful to maintain a putative residence in one of a handful of states with a favorable legal climate for this lifestyle. There are relatively few fulltimers on the Airstream board so you may wish to check some of the other forums on the internet for help. You can also contact the Escapees which are an association of people who fulltime that provides information, mail forwarding, and contact info for services that many fulltimers find helpful.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote