Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Queen mattress "butt divot"

Stuff wears out faster when you fulltime - and one of the things that goes pretty quickly is the one side of the east-west queen that faces the bath and livimg area. The nicer pillowtop mattress that came with the Eddie Bauer cannot be flipped or turned (I'm putting in a tankless water heater Friday so why not blow some more money on comfort?)

I came up with an idea which I hope will be brilliant
... but only time will tell. The RV queen is 60 X 75 and the airstream sideways queen has that cut for the wall curve on the top.

My solution? Make 2 pieces, one 15 inches long and 60 inches wide... that tapers down to 9 inches om the top edge. The main piece is 60 x 60 square... and can be turned any time, or even flipped because it's a real two sided foam mattress!

I'm going to use a light mattress topper to minimize the break between the pieces and I use a rubber mat to keep the current one from shifting. I'm not worried about the.top piece getting a divot worn in one place because my head is pretty empty.

I'll report on how it works out.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
How about an air mattress. We put in a Sleep Number RV Radius Queen mattress last year and that pretty much took care of the divots.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
FA - buy full sized queen innerspring or similar mattress. Fill the head gap with foam or pillows and add enough 1/4in plywood to the bottom of the platform to support the foot. A small 1x2 helps to stiffen the extension. Then you can flip it, flop it, and spin it. If the top needs to be softer, use a standard topper. Sleep comfortable. Pat

PS - there is one other issue. The original struts will not support a heavier mattress. At some time they will fail. Grainger sells stronger ones and the hardware to install. One of our Airforum members blogged how they did it.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Personally don't care for air mattresses. YMMD.

Turning any mattress in a tiny space is a PITA and will only get harder as I age. Both the size and weight of a standard queen are negatives to me. I am short, and store two sewing machines at the foot of the bed. Turning a little 60 x 60 will be something I'll actually DO in 2 minutes instead of putting off because it's an ordeal.

I'll probably age out of full timing in 5 years... and adapting to smarter Easier ways of doing everything helps keep that date from creeping forward. Next? I want a plastic hitch with components that each weigh only 5 lbs. Pretty please?

Paula
Old 01-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
That 'East-West' bed on the 25 footer FC is the reason that I traded it back for a 30 foot FC. It has a North-South bed that is a lot more livable.
The whole trailer is a lot more livable.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote