Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Online Jobs

Hello! I am interested in going full time in an Airstream. But I am in need to find a way to secure an income to support the lifestyle. I have already been to the workampers website, but I am not fascinated with the aspect of going from campsite to campsite to do jobs. No, I wish to be able to make an income no matter where I am at, especially if it is in the middle of knowwhere. I am looking for any RVer/Airstreamer who is currently working online and what kindof jobs that they are doing, and what's available. I do not wish to be a part of MLM, affiliate marketing, or the likes. I am not a social networking person as I am anti facebook, twitter, myspace, linkedin, etc. Also, I am not interested in finding something that involves me with talking to people on a daily basis to sell a product. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!
quentin541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Lots of stuff you don't want to do. What do you want to do besides "make income"?
What are your knowlege, skills and abilities? Can you write iPhone Apps?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I work in ecommerce... But have been doing it for over 15 years now, so I don't know about starting out nowadays ( I guess my point is that it's something that I did BEFORE fulltiming, not something I decided to try to HELP me full time ).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Yes, your right, lots of stuff I don't wish to do. I honostly am not sure what I want to do. I am a hired hand for a farmer, and grew up in farm and ranching. I have never attempted to write any software for iphones or computers or anything else similar to that. Farming and ranching and driving semi truck is all I know. But I do know that I am tired of working for people or business's. When I drove over the road, I loved the travel part, but hated every minute of being on someone elses time schedule. Like to start something of my own. Prefereably on the internet. Don't know where to start though. I have wasted money on affiliate marketing scams on the net, and know that MLM is convincing others to sign into the business. Really not interested.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Thanks Shawn. Mind if I ask what you do in ecommerce? Do you work for a specific company? Or is this something that you started to do to provide an income for your family? And yes, I am looking to start something before I fulltime. I don't want to jump into a full timing situation and not be able to make it. Anyways. Thanks for replying.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I don't know where 'somewhere, Texas is, but Elk City Oklahoma about fifty miles above me is a great place to get on working for the oilfield. Very good pay I hear. Right now I am in south Altus, Oklahoma. You might go the oilfield route for $$$
Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin541 View Post
Thanks Shawn. Mind if I ask what you do in ecommerce? Do you work for a specific company? Or is this something that you started to do to provide an income for your family? And yes, I am looking to start something before I fulltime. I don't want to jump into a full timing situation and not be able to make it. Anyways. Thanks for replying.
Well, I'm actually a director of web development for a large company (not going to say who or what industry, but let's just say that most people will be aware of at least one of the "companies" that I work for/with). Again, I've been working in ecom since almost the very beginning of the "industry" (late 90's). I actually started doing this prior to getting married or having a family, so I'm a unique situation where I'm in the middle part of my career, still doing what I started doing early in my career, and it just so happens that I can be a remote employee (which is key to how we're able to make things work). I'm a bit secretive because although I know I've got it made, I do know of people who have attempted to try to fulltime while working from home, only to have peers and other employees "sabotage" them because of jealousy, so it's always better to be tactful, I've found.

Having said all of this, everyone's different, and I don't know that I could have done it without my job (meaning that if I had to develop my own clients, or work on my own software, etc, I'm not sure if I could do it)...in my situation I have myself, my wife and two kids (as well as two dogs) to support, so that means lots of money! Although I do know that there are a few people that are able to do it, but they typically don't have large family.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
If you're anti-social network, I frankly think you'll have some problems trying to do online work, because online work is pretty much all social networking, at base. Most online jobs have to do with computing, sales, customer support, writing, or other things that take the ability and willingness to be online throughout the day to communicate with co-workers and contacts. The Net is one great big social network, really.

Even if you're trying to write for a living or make a living with a craft or other items that you make, it usually means using social networks to drive sales, at least if you want to make as much money as possible in as short a time possible.

My own plan is to create several businesses. A great deal of what I'll do for at least one of those businesses is making items for sale at rallies and campgrounds, so I'll be selling direct, but even there, I'll be selling online at least partially by showing my goods on a website. Even now, before I ramp things up, I ALWAYS have Trillian up and running, and often Skype, and I have a wide group of "friends" on Facebook, who I communicate with very regularly as a support network as well as advisors and other very useful roles, as well as keeping up with my meatspace friends.

TBH, I think you may want to re-think what it is you want to do. If you're anti-social network, working online may simply not be for you. but of course YMMV.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
For instance: you could teach yourself to manage and build an online website that helps ranchers and farmers find reliable help that can travel to them and then go away again, being self-sufficient, and available within travel frame time and not needing anything but space for the help's RVs...but that's a social network.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote