Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
N'tnl Park Trek - Dream vs Costs

So been dreaming some day when I fully retire to go visit all the national parks I can reach via Airstream, (maybe even the ones in Alaska!) and it occurred to me that some fellow AS folk might have done just that.

So, I realize everyone's experience will be different, and your milage may vary, and all that, but a few basic questions:

Say I want to spend a week or three at each park (assuming the park will let me do that?), is that enough time to see and do everything worth doing at the parks? There are currently 60 parks (not including all the monuments, etc.) so this will take a few years to accomplish! Is a budget of $3000/month to cover all expenses a good planning target?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Nat'l Park sizes and sights differ widely so the necessary duration of each stay varies if your plan is to see everything in a single visit [define everything]. You didn't mention your interests (photography, wildlife viewing, kayaking, etc.) which might also affect activities/timing. Some parks are better seen during different seasons as the flora and fauna change so dramatically (revisit?) or just too hot/cold to be enjoyed for long.

It is awfully hard to say what your budget dollars need to be without a timeframe (now or in five years?) or whether you will be full timing (solo/paired) or also maintaining a base of operations. Vehicle fuel type and mileage are also a major portion of your travel budget besides lifestyle choices like eating out, etc.

One of the lessor expenses will be campground and park fees as a senior though you might also fudge some of these dollars by staying nearby on other federal lands owned by the Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Your plan is very "doable". If you want to stay as long as a week in each park, it will be up to how you are able to coordinate reservations. If you go in the off-season, it will be slightly easier.

However, to "see" most National Parks a week is more than enough time. Some you can see in a day or two, but a week is plenty.

Get a National Parks pass to save a bundle on entry fees. If you are a gheezer like me, get a Lifetime Senior Pass. Free unlimited entry and 1/2 off camping fees.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I would like to think I could still be fully active when I get around to retirement age, but I can already tell I'm not 20 anymore So, photography, sure. Hiking, sure hope so - Rock Climbing, Mountain biking, Kayaking? maybe, but not likely as quick and nimble as I used to be, hence the extended "senior pace" Don't call it slow, call it a more detailed study...

I will def check out those senior passes, what is the age you qualify? Maybe I can get an early start!

Annual inflation has been averaging between 2-3% for the last 20 years or so now, and has been on the slow downhill, but I remember the 70's when it got as high as 14%, but gas prices have been all over the map, and I am assuming we'll still be mostly fossil fuel for TVs in 5-10 years. (All this assumes the "prepers" have an error in their calculations regarding the timing and extent of the impending collapse of our civilization, and California will somehow still be connected, both physically and politically)
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I will def check out those senior passes, what is the age you qualify? Maybe I can get an early start!

Age 62, and I'll rub it in a bit and say I got one of the last $10 lifetime passes.
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/se...ss-changes.htm
Old 02-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I have some of that same ambition, but there are a number of national parks that are not accessible with a trailer. Dry Tortugas near Key West, FL. Hawaii Volcanoes on the big island. Gates of the Arctic, Katmai, Lake Clark, Glacier Bay, and Kobuk Valley in Alaska.

Easiest thing is to work on the lower 48 states at first then make the trek to Alaska planning on flying into whatever time and money will allow.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
We’ve been on the road full-time for the past 2 1/2 years visiting National Parks in our Airstream.

Our general rule is that we want to spend 2 weeks in most parks. There are a few that 2 days is enough. We like to hike, bike, kayak, attend some ranger talks while visiting the parks.

All in all, we are having a great time and have really enjoyed visiting the parks. I can’t believe some of the places that we have seen.

This summer we are off to Alaska. Should be interesting.

Budget - everyone has different needs and wants. Really hard to say if your budget will work but should be doable.

At 62 - half price camping at MOST National Parks with National Park Pass.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I agree with See More’ s comments. It’s a hard question to answer. Last year I put 16,000 miles on my AS and we went to about 40 Nation Parks, Wildlife Preserves, Presidential Libraries, Monuments, State Parks (like Custer), parkways like the Blue Ridge and the Natachez Trace. You will want to stay at some for a week and some for a few hours. Do not expect to be able to stay at all of them unless you do careful planning and make reservations months of even years in advance. Some campgrounds in some parks you will not want to stay in anyway. If your old enough for the senior pass that will save you some money and get yourself the passport America pass that will save you money as well. I spent more money on fuel and food than camping expense. Campground cost vary depending where you are. I was able to stay in campgrounds outside of some of the NP for less that the NP and they were much nicer.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
So been dreaming some day when I fully retire to go visit all the national parks I can reach via Airstream, (maybe even the ones in Alaska!) and it occurred to me that some fellow AS folk might have done just that.

So, I realize everyone's experience will be different, and your milage may vary, and all that, but a few basic questions:

Say I want to spend a week or three at each park (assuming the park will let me do that?), is that enough time to see and do everything worth doing at the parks? There are currently 60 parks (not including all the monuments, etc.) so this will take a few years to accomplish! Is a budget of $3000/month to cover all expenses a good planning target?
Staying at campgrounds is not that expensive. Being on the road moving is what is costly.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orlando , FL
Senior pass gets you into park for free and 1/2 price camping in some parks. Some national parks have a length limit for travel trailers less than 25 feet which may reduce your options.
FC1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Your question can only be answered by you.

How long something takes, how much you want to see, how much you spend, only you can answer that.

Sounds like you are looking for validity for something you have already thought of.

With that said, it sounds doable.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Totally doable. We have done it at approx. $3000 /month. If you want to save on camping expenses look into adding solar to your TT.
Yes it is expensive (ouch!!). I am in the process of convincing my wife that we will save money in the long run. I figure if you spend $12000 on a system divide that over the 90 days we travel each year, over 3 years it pays for itself just by saving the campground fees.That breaks down to $44.50 a night. If you have a solar setup is my thinking correct ??
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Brother and his wife are visiting all the NPs. They have this nice little book to collect stamps from a ranger at each park. However, they go again and again to Yellowstone. It is because it is not possible to see everything in the park in a single lifetime. We, however, have seen what we want to see in about 10 days spread out over three trips.

Our travel budget is about $35 a day for sites, $60 a day for fuel, $30 a day for food and $5 a day for wine. That ignores special events/attractions, healthcare and housing investment/maintenance as well as licensing, insurance and taxes. That would not be sustainable on your $3000 a month budget. However, we do not travel full time. We do it in 4-6 week sprints.

It is possible to stay at NP campgrounds for half price with your senior pass. That is $15-$25, so a better deal than our usual. We travel as opposed to sitting at a campground and hiking, so your fuel bill can be much less. Your other bills may or may not fit, but understand that your dream is attainable, given a patient approach and careful budget management.

Take care in your planning. Suspect that will be your key to success. Invest in off grid capability to make you comfortable in dry/semi-dry camp grounds. Search for Traveling Man's thread "Tell me where to go" and review his method.

Travel safe. Collect those smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #14

Charlotte , North Carolina
We are planning this same trip. And have that same budget number in mind. Starting in about 9 months. We haven’t been as diligent lately about blogging our planning progress. But maybe this will help get you started. We are doing 58 parks including the non airstream ones such as Samoa, Hawaii, USVI etc. We plan on leaving the AS in Seattle and doing Alaska without her. It’s 2200 miles from seattle to anchorage alone. Looking forward to hearing more about your progress!!

https://chasingless.com/2018/10/26/planning-a-50-state-road-trip-day-1/
LadyLolaMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
-- snip -- if you spend $12000 on a system divide that over the 90 days we travel each year, over 3 years it pays for itself just by saving the campground fees. -- snip --
No, because you can spend a lot less for your camping with a generator, an inexpensive solar package and/or simple conservation. Think one night with full hookup and a night of dry camping. FHU can often be booked at $10-25. COE, Pasport America and fringe campgrounds. We stayed in two such $25 campgrounds this year.

Your solar investment does not pay, it only makes your RV experience easier and more accomodating. It is just like the investment in your trailer. You can save a lot more by tent or van camping.

So, if you have the money, go for it. Just don't borrow and pay interest on the investment. It's bad enough to lose the opportunity cost.

Travel safe and often. Chase those smiles. Pat

PS - agree with all above - the single best thing you can do to save money is get a NP senior pass.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
In our experience,any time you get close to a natl Park the prices go way up...so unless there is something we wish to see ,we stay away from them...my opinion
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."
Harold Hill
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When visiting most National Parks, planning is everything. Most of the campgrounds are booked many months in advance. With the senior card you get in free and camp at 1/2 the price. I got my card a few years back (when it was $10) and have saved hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars with free entry into well over a dozen parks and many nights of camping.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."
Harold Hill
Great quote.

That philosophy is exactly why we got our class b and hit the road last year. My Mom & Dad did the same thing in the 80's & 90's before health problems put an end to their travels. I asked my Dad on day if he regretted not being able to get in the van and travel. After a pause, he answered "No, because we've seen all of America twice, and most of Canada once." He had no regrets and that really stuck with me as a lesson to do things while you still can.

I can't think of a better way to start than visiting the National Parks. And, there is so much to see in between. Make the pace of your journey what suits you and do not worry about others.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Not to take anything away from National Parks, but there are some awe inspiring National Monuments out there too - often easier to get into and sometimes even free camping or super cheap camping - one of our favorites Navajo, another is Capitol Reef - sadly some of our "Class A" National Parks such as Yellowstone and Yosemite are being loved to death - and are very crowded, which dilutes the experience.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote