Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Okay, now I'm confused! I know, it doesn't take much these days, but what about people who travel for long periods of time? Taking a couple of gallons of water from home for drinking is fine for a weekend, but what about a three-week trip like we had planned for last summer?

We use a disposable in-line filter for the water that goes in our mpg, either tank or city hookup. Yes, the water in the tank can get stale-tasting in warm weather. Putting a gallon into the refrigerator helps, as does aerating it. To do that, pour a gallon of water from one container to another a few times. Aerating the water, then refrigerating it overnight, seems to work for us.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Don't pop a hernia or wreck your back trying to open those new windows. Seems to be a common denominator with new units - those stuck windows!

Unlatch those windows as soon as you get home. The movement of you going in and out, walking around the trailer (and you will be doing a lot of that because you're just so excited about it) will probably loosen a few of the windows. Some will still be shut; use a credit card or rubber egg flipper to break the seal from the outside.

Congrats....and please post pictures. That's an Airstream forum ritual.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Okay, now I'm confused! I know, it doesn't take much these days, but what about people who travel for long periods of time? Taking a couple of gallons of water from home for drinking is fine for a weekend, but what about a three-week trip like we had planned for last summer?
Doesn't sound like you're confused. Sounds like you've got a plan that works for you.

But then again, who cares if you can drink the water, as long as you have beer?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

But then again, who cares if you can drink the water, as long as you have beer?

Great minds think alike. Ha!
bbqmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Los Altos , California
Thanks to all for such good and thoughtful advice! There is so much to think about!! We went to look at counter top water filters today and may go that way (as well as perhaps an inline filter after a bit).

The amount of time we can go without hookups is a concern though, since the date we will get out of our house (we are selling it with the intention of full-timing for a year to see the country) and into the AS is still being worked out and meanwhile, every campground from here to Oregon seems to be filled up! And I'm not even talking about the 4th of July week yet!! ARRGHH!!

So, there we'll be - 2 newbs practicing backing up and watching our video to make sure we know how to hitch it up properly - and in addition to that, we'll have no hookups!! Nothing like learning under fire!!

We are considering calling the dealer and telling him to add the solar package given our situation - does anyone have any advice on that??

We will post pics in a few weeks once we pick up the AS - but you'll know us in the campgrounds - we'll be the ones practicing backing up!!

Dolly
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Hi Dolly! Congratulations on the purchase! I bet you guys are so excited! We're pretty new to the Airstream lifestyle too. We've had ours about 5 months. We haven't been to a rally yet, but we're signed up for one in Oct. in Kernville, Ca in Sequoia National Park. I thought I mention it to you since I see you're in California too.
Check it out:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...6-a-90631.html
Maybe if you go, no one will notice what newbies WE are!
Hope to see you on the road someday!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Sunnyvale , California
Hi Dolly,
we haven't really intro'd yet, but we bought a 2012 27FB International from Toscano at the beginning of the year and we live just a few miles south of you, so I had to say hi. We got the solar installed at the dealer, and have only used it once but have been really happy with it. Our batteries were recharged by about 10am, and that was in partial shade. (We got the bigger solar package, but suspect the smaller one would have been fine based on this, for $200 cheaper.) We got down to 60% or so in just an afternoon and evening of moderate use. Oh, and when you fill your water tank, hold the hose a few inches away and let the water flow in with moderate pressure. We put the hose in the inlet the first time and didn't get as full as the monitors indicated, which was a bit unfortunate for dry camping! Get a water thief hose adapter thingie, too - we had to hold a hose up to a spigot for a very long time at Big Sur. ( http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ter-thief/4690 )
Good luck with that backing up - we've only been out a few times (waiting for the kids to get out of school!) and are still getting the hang of it!
-Sarah
silver27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"We are considering calling the dealer and telling him to add the solar package given our situation - does anyone have any advice on that??"

Dolly,

I would PM "Lewster" here on the Forum's. He's in the business and will give you the straight scoop. The consensus being the factory install is rather expensive for what you get.

Bob
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Ditto on talking with Lewster ... he did my system, using AM Solar components, and I have been very pleased with the result. The consensus seems to be that you can get a lot more solar output, etc. with a non-factory system. AM Solar doesn't build RVs - they just do solar systems for them. Either way, they're not cheap, but they are sure nice.

As to what to do when the brought-from-home water runs out, I've got three suggestions. First, almost any town has a supermarket and that supermarket will have spring water or distilled water in one and/or two gallon jugs. Second, you can refill in a town with a known good drinking water system. Any place bigger than a crossroads that has a central water system will comply with EPA drinking water regs, and their water will be safe to drink, even if it's not as good tasting as some others. When's the last time you got sick from drinking the water in any town in the U.S.? Third, and especially if you are going to be boondocking a lot, I always carry along, an MSR Waterworks filter. I've used it all over the world and have had no problems. It is intended to support a team of backpackers in wilderness areas, who are having to get their drinking water from streams and ponds (and I've done this many places). It filters out pretty much all of the "nasties" except for viruses and has an after-filter using activated charcoal to take out most chemicals ... so if you start with what looks like "pretty good" water, you're very unlikely to have any sort of problem. It is a hand pump item with a ceramic filter, and it will process about a liter a minute ... the filter is good for hundreds of gallons of water, and it is easily field-maintainable. I have a son going to India this summer, and I'm sending him off with one. It's also very reassuring to have in case of a natural disaster, when your "local" water treatment system might go down for an extended period.

Have fun. Be happy, don't worry. You will work out the few issues you encounter "on the fly" and it will all be part of the adventure.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Have fun. Be happy, don't worry. You will work out the few issues you encounter "on the fly" and it will all be part of the adventure.
That's the best advice of all. We had a fun AND instructive first season!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Congratulations!

Our 2012 27FB International is parked in front of the house all hitched up and ready for a 10 day trip starting today. Heading to Flagstaff and vicinity.

We've used a water filter from day one and we do drink the water IF it tastes good. If not we go bottled water route. I'm just not paranoid enough to haul gallons of plastic water bottles around.

We have used the service department in Los Banos even though we purchased back East, they do good work.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider View Post
Congratulations!

Our 2012 27FB International is parked in front of the house all hitched up and ready for a 10 day trip starting today. Heading to Flagstaff and vicinity.

...<snip>....
AN ASIDE:

Suggestions for Flagstaff area national forest camping:

(1) Pinegrove Campground, Coconino National Forest)...but make sure15 mi SE of Flagtaff on St, Mary's Road...great little campground, dry camping but very clean and well taken care of...pay showers, nice toilets, paved roads, dump station... You cam make reservations.

(2) Bontio Campground, Coconino Naitona Forest at the entrance to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and the lava flows off highway 89 toward Page...entrance to the monument also gives you access to Wupatki National Monument). Clean, Paved, nice rest rooms, but no dumpstation...

(3) If you're going west from Flag on I-40 check out Williams for camping...both in town at one of a couple of commercial RV Parks including the Grand Canyon Rail Road RV Park and also Kaibab Lake Campground in the Kaibab National Forest system...

(4) If you're going further east from Flagstaff of I-40 check out Meteor Crater between Flag and Winslow...there's a commercial RV park there...and the crater is really quite interesting. If you get to Winslow go to the La Posada Hotel for lunch or dinner...

Check our travel log (below) for pictures and descriptions of all these (except Meteor Crater...we have not been there with the AS)...

Happy Trails!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
AN ASIDE:

Suggestions for Flagstaff area national forest camping:

(1) Pinegrove Campground, Coconino National Forest)...but make sure15 mi SE of Flagtaff on St, Mary's Road...great little campground, dry camping but very clean and well taken care of...pay showers, nice toilets, paved roads, dump station... You cam make reservations.

(2) Bontio Campground, Coconino Naitona Forest at the entrance to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and the lava flows off highway 89 toward Page...entrance to the monument also gives you access to Wupatki National Monument). Clean, Paved, nice rest rooms, but no dumpstation...

(3) If you're going west from Flag on I-40 check out Williams for camping...both in town at one of a couple of commercial RV Parks including the Grand Canyon Rail Road RV Park and also Kaibab Lake Campground in the Kaibab National Forest system...

(4) If you're going further east from Flagstaff of I-40 check out Meteor Crater between Flag and Winslow...there's a commercial RV park there...and the crater is really quite interesting. If you get to Winslow go to the La Posada Hotel for lunch or dinner...

Check our travel log (below) for pictures and descriptions of all these (except Meteor Crater...we have not been there with the AS)...

Happy Trails!
Between Flagstaff and Williams, you might enjoy stopping at Seligman, AZ, just off the freeway for a kitchy trip back a few years. Further down the road on I-40, you can "take it easy" by "standing on the corner" of Winslow, AZ, and just a little further east, prior to the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest NP, you can see the Wigwam Motel and 1950-ish cars in Holbrook, AZ. The Airstream will look right at home in all those places.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote