Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Talking New Airstreamer

Hi there all! We have been looking at buying an Airstream for a while now. Looked at the new ones, but are a little out of our price range. I found one that is in need of TLC. I want to purchase and restore (and thankfully have a mechanic for a father who is willing to help). Neither of us has worked on an Airstream before though. My question is in terms of one we are going to look at. The outside has a few "dings" and the wiring and plumbing will need replaced. Also there is rot in the floor, only under the kitchen sink. And mild rust to the under carriage. What would be a good price to pay for this 1969 31 footer and how hard is flooring replacement. From what I read it looks time consuming but do able. Def want an Airstream but don't want to get in over my head!

Thanks for advice!!
ousl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
This thread is one example of redoing an Airstream that appeared to be in good shape.
Repaired tanks
Replaced plumbing
New converter and battery
Rewired exterior lights and added LEDs
New LEDs inside
Two small floor repairs (2x4' and 2x2')
See the link to the attached Excel file for all the tasks, hours of work, and parts cost.

As for the price of the '69, be advised that (IMHO) the condition of the shell and frame are the #1 considerations when it comes to cost. After that, #2 is, is it ready for camping. #3 is, do you want everything vintage and if so, is it and is the interior in good shape?

It sounds to me like it's a typical, not currently being used, 40 year old Airstream. With the dings (need to see photo to really make an estimate) and you already know it needs electrical and plumbing, I'd say $2000 to maybe $2500.

Zep
Copy of Safari II cost and time2.xls
Old 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. This is the right place to get your Airstream information.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Also we are going tomorrow so if it goes well I will be posting as we get her going =) looking forward to it and so thankful for the forum!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousl01 View Post
Also we are going tomorrow so if it goes well I will be posting as we get her going =) looking forward to it and so thankful for the forum!
What Zep says makes sense. He does beautiful work. You are right in assuming that bringing an old Airstream back to shiny on the outside and strong on the inside is a marathon, not a sprint. If you enjoy puzzles like this, have some common sense (and don't forget the mechanic dad!) this can be a family project with many rewards. Don't forget to show your appreciation to your dad in some very concrete way that he'll appreciate... new fishing gear, 14 year old single malt scotch, or something else he'd love but wouldn't indulge himself in.

Paula
Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
New Airstreamer

That was me a year ago. Since the I have managed to gut the camper, get it rebuilt, and even take a couple long trips in it.

Enjoy the project and make it yours!

Got r done!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Smile

Ended up getting her! Excited for the weather to warm up and start working! Will def keep up to date on progress! Can't wait to make her our own home!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Ended up getting her! Excited for the weather to warm up and start working! Will def keep up to date on progress! Can't wait to make her our own home!

Congratulations!!!
samyjam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
OK, you've got a few dents to fix. If you are ambitious and you're going to remove enough of the furnishings to allow you to remove the interior skin and get at the dents from behind, DO NOT POUND THEM OUT! Roll them out. Some people have used old roller blade wheels mounted on handle.

If you pound them, you WILL thin out the aluminum, which will create a permanent and unrepairable bubble in the skin. Your only option then is to replace the particular skin panel.

Zep
Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
We have got the design and plan laid out. And one other important thing, her name. Anakin the Airstream (StarWars buffs we are)
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
So we have got the old furniture and flooring out. Also the exterior dents. Does anyone know what type of wood is in the bumper near the black water tank? Need to replace it and want to make sure to get the right kind. Also we are getting solar panels. Any suggestions on type and how hard they are to install?

Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Wood in the bumper? That's a stumper. The design should be identical to 70-73 and I haven't seen that. You need to post a photo. It's easy--use the paperclip in the top row of icons above.

Zep
Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
This is the progress for 2 weeks. Gutted and started the floor replacement. Purchased 4 foot clawfoot tub to put in when the floors are complete. Anyone tackled that before? Planning to install raised platform (small) for the tub to keep the new flooring safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2038.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	209312  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
This is the progress for 2 weeks. Gutted and started the floor replacement. Purchased 4 foot clawfoot tub to put in when the floors are complete. Anyone tackled that before? Planning to install raised platform (small) for the tub to keep the new flooring safe.
Weight is always an issue with any trailer. You don't want all the weight on one side or the other, or too much weight in the tail. If the tub is a fiberglass reproduction, you're probably fine. Cast iron... erk! Thinking of "too much weight" you'd probably want to think of the tub + the water + the body.

In some of the early Airstreams the "tub" shower pan was really kid friendly, but I can picture a big adult getting wedged in tightly. As far as I know, no current models have anything but showers. (I have the Eddie Bauer, and have joked about folding up the benches and using a kiddie pool for a good long soak, but so far that's just a joke, besides I'd have to siphon it out onto the ground or into the sewer connection.)
Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A cast iron tub way behind the axles = sway, no matter the tongue weight.

What would a cast iron tub weigh? 400 to 600 lbs?

Shifted forward rather close to the axles a might work if a person would be very very careful with all other aft weight.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
It weighs 290 without water or me in it. I kept the hand shower to shower in it most the time, that way less water use. Took out walls and hoping the weight will be ok! Trying her this weel. Fingers crossed everbody. There will be updates!

Merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream- so live it it!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Ousl01

I noticed your from Columbus....so I thought I would invite you to a NOVA Rally at Hadocy Airsteam beginning on Thursday May 1 through Sunday. We will be camping right on the lot with our Airstreams and I am certain you will be able to pick up some tips and advice. Hope to see you there.

Hissilver
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote