Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
NEVER to run the road Again!

I am building a 'MAN Cave', I am planning to use the 27' Overlander I bought as the basis of the project, at least until the Steel Barn is complete.

As far as I am concerned, this beauty will never move but maybe once more in her life to be the 'BEACH House' in a Gulf front RV park, TOPS 50 miles away..

The wonderful folks on these pages kep telling me I can't do thins, shouldn't do that with the though that the next big bump I hit in the road will break the back end off.

Well...... doubtful.

Ideas???? thoughts? Think STATIC DISPLAY/Residence.
bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I like to see Airstreams on the road going from one place to another. To me that is the beauty of an Airstream. Sitting on a beach waiting for the next huricane just does not seem right to me.

Just my opinion...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Static display/residence would open up many options, as long as you are aware it will no longer be a trailer again.
If it is a pool house, for example, you can put in tile floors, strip the finish off the walls (think CCD aluminum), install miniblinds instead of the over/under curtains, I've even seen a couple of very small 12 volt ceiling fans.
Remove the tub and put in a shower stall, put in a regular, although small, toilet, and remove the holding tanks. An apartment size 120 volt fridge with stainless steel finish, a wraparound front couch with vinyl cushions to keep stains to a minimum.
Are these the kind of ideas you are looking for?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you want to eliminate the roof air conditioner, you can install a "package air conditioner" on the ground behind the trailer, and run the air conditioning and heat from it through the furnace duct areas. You could remove the LP furnace, and use that space for a wine cooler, with a small ice maker in the cabinet over it.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can put in solar hot water on the roof, and use the space the water heater used to occupy for storage. You can (we did) mount an LCD HD television on the bulkhead by the fridge, and install better speakers in the walls for a great entertainment system.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
All these things would, of course, add weight, and reduce, if not eliminate, towability. If you start adding the heavy stuff, you should look at how conventional mobile homes and park models are setup for permanent mooring. They usually use footers, with concrete blocks as supports under the frame every so many feet. This will help support the extra weight, and keep it off the axles and tires. If you are going to do this, you could even remove the axles from under the trailer. The area formerly occupied by the wheels and axles on one side could be the spot you put the package a/c.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sad in a way, but that's how it goes. Airstreams belong on the highway, but better in the yard than in the junk yard.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
youngstown , Ohio
Residence while constructing, and a bit more... THEN to the RV park, (even if on a flatbed), ans setup semi permanently there as the 'beach house'.
bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It is your trailer after all....
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We live in Oklahoma, in a sort of abandoned industrial district where other businesses have moved in...we hate it but it's private (nestled between buildings) one day we will travel to the "river" spot that we all dream is our destiny, far away from hail storms etc. But really being near the ocean...and we her how the salt air eats away at everything and I would not want to be under one of those in coming waves...so better waterproof that thing or cover it up in one of those "skins" that we use for billboards nowadays...you can get "skins" from billboard companies that have old ones laying around and can get them for cheap....good luck with whatever your doing...this is your life
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Nothing wrong with your idea at all. Living at the beach in an Airstream sounds like heaven to me, even if the Airstream is permanent.