Old 04-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Loose door hinge screws

Now where full timing our door is used constantly. The problem is its alignment is off. I went to tighten the hinge screws at the bottom where I see the hinge pulling away from the aluminum skin a little. The screw seems to just spin and will not tighten. I removed the strip around the interior of the door to see if I could access the bolt on the screw but it's just the interior skin underneath with no access. What do I do? I'd hate to drill through the interior skin.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Loose door hinge

Sally went and looked at my door to be sure but there are no bolts that can be seen from the outside of the camper door
not sure what bolts you are talking about. Is this the entrance door to the AS?
The bolts that hold the entrance door are tighten form the inside then are covered by the internal skin. But if you can get to the head of the bolt and the threads are stripped there is a coil that can be placed inside the bad threads then you use a smaller size bolt for the new threads or the hole can be rethreaded with a tap and the next size up bolt can be used. Best of luck Rand

Old 05-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've never been into mine, but here's what I understand. The screw heads are under a strip of stick on molding on the wall side of the hinge. I assume those are the screws that just spin.

My understand is this is a screw and nut setup and the only way to get on the nut is to measure....then measure again....then again, and cut a hole under that trim around the door on the inside. Make the hole just big enough for a socket, with a hole saw and the trim will hide it....so I've been told.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You will have to drill a hole behind the hinge inside. That is the only way to get to the screw heads on the inside. A simple hole can be covered with a chrome plug and it fits in pretty well but you could paint it to match the wall. You will need to do this 4 times.

Perry
Old 05-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Loose Door Hinge Screws

You are right the bolts that hold the door hinges have a nut on the inside that on mine was held in place with caulk. If it comes loose and the nut is free to spin, I have put a screwdriver on the outside between the hinge and the outside skin and put some pressure on it while trying to tighten the screw hoping the nut will be pulled up against the inside and have enough friction that it won't spin. Did this a couple of times and it worked. Good luck.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
Old 05-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This is an Airstream Design Flaw. They could have put a nut plate on the back side that would keep the nut from spinning.

Perry
Old 05-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's called, "design for serviceability" .....or in this case, not.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Over 12 years ago, on 4th January 2003, under a thread "door hinge nightmare", I posted the following:

" I used a 1 inch diameter metal hole saw and drilled 4 holes inside the trailer to access the four nuts. The holes are partly in the door frame, and partly in the inner skin. I used a long pencil in the centre of the machine screw head, perpendicular to the skin, and another moving perpendicular on the inner skin until there was no relative movement of the tips when I moved my head around. This gave me the centre of the holes. I needed a 7/16ths socket (long type) to replace and tighten the nuts. I covered up the holes by using the plastic receptacle covers that prevent children from poking things into 120v receptacles. A little carving on the back to remove the prongs and to mold round the door frame ensured a snug fit. I glued them on with contact adhesive. It looks fine, and I can now service the door and hinges very simply."

Nick.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
It's a terrible design. A real pain to service what should be an accessible part, considering that Airstream knows it will likely need servicing. Here was my experience:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ge-122387.html