Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee

Fresh Cab has worked very well for us. We had a couple mice that we caught on our first outing. We have since used the Fresh Cab and not seen one since.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
If you leave bait, traps, etc under the trailer would that take care of the mouse problem? So far we have had no pest problems, and really don't want any.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrum View Post

Fresh Cab has worked very well for us. We had a couple mice that we caught on our first outing. We have since used the Fresh Cab and not seen one since.
Hi, I heard that Fresh Cab works for while in storage, but what about while traveling? [campsite change almost daily] And where do you put them? I would think, one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen; Both near the plumbing. seems to me that's were they get in. I believe, I have sealed all of the mickey mouse entrances, but I won't know unless I get another un-invited visiter. I hope that never happens again.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I put this Fresh Cab in OCT of 2009 after seeing "evidence" of a mouse.

I have not seen any other evidence since putting it in the AS.
I changed them out on 01 Feb 10 as suggested here on the forum.

I put them in the pipe chase below the two (2) sinks and one near the water pump and one in the panty cabinets where I first saw the "evidence" of a mouse (s?).

The odor is quite strong the first time you put them in on day one then it lessens quit quickly. I will continue to use them even while the camping season is in effect.

Thank you to who ever suggested this product.

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
I am currently trying the SHAKE AWAY- which is the dried bobcat urine. The theory is that mice will smell it and be afraid that something else is in residence. Someone on the forum suggested it. It is about 14.00 and is easy to use and doesn't smell to humans or seem to bother my dog. We'll see. When I told a friend about it, she said "Now how is a domesticated Alabama mouse going to know what bobcat urine smells like?" I had to agree. I just hope it is instinct.

As an added precaution, I am using the bucket, peanut butter and plank method suggested by tinhutjohn because I ain't "living with mice" anymore! I will let you guys know about the bucket later this weekend.
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
saint augustine , Florida
Wow, when I started this post I didn't expect so many replies , then again this is the AS forum and all you people are awesome . So far I've caught 3critters with traps and 1 with the sticky pad , which inhumane because he was starring up at me when I lifted him out if trailer. A quick drop from a cinder block and it was all over although a little messsy. I think I'll stick with the traps. Something about the kkkkksSNAP!!! Of the trap in the early morning let's me sleep a little sounder. Great comments everyone I'll keep you posted
happypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #27
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi All - I started using the Fresh Cab packets wayyy back after we got an infestation from a not so well maintained storage yard we left our camper in. I posted our results here on the ASForums several times (so maybe I am culprit for 1st usage) because I think the smell is quite nice (they use many natural herb essences, like peppermint). We have used them while the trailer is in storage since - and they stay in closets and under bed area even while camping. I find the smell very refreshing! We did use the traps w/peanut butter first to rid ourselves of family before multiplication got out of hand. I, personally think that is most humane (quick and clean). We did move the trailer to a new storage locale where she sits on gravel away from grass, weeds, debris and we spent bit of time looking for possible entryway into trailer-but I think it is impossible to find all (those mice are CRAFTY). Anyway, the FreshCab, I think has really helped to keep the little critters at bay and again, I think it smells very nice. FYI

PS: We have not seen any since using the FCab either!!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
shake away must be working!

Well, the SHAKE AWAY must be working. I shook it all over the AS a couple of days before setting the bucket/peanut butter/plank method mentioned and haven't caught any mice in the bucket. Haven't seen any evidence of them in the AS since shaking the stuff around. Doesn't smell, either. Glad to know something will work with these little critters!
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

OK what do you do when one or two hid and die somewhere under the floor and the pan? Griff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Dropping the belly pan is the easiest and most likely way to approach this problem, but it's a crapshoot at best. You could do all the work underneath, and still find your mice up in a wall somewhere. I had mouse trails throughout the insulation above the endcaps and in the wall insulation. The under-floor insulation had pretty much disintegrated except for a few square feet, and that's where the mummified carcasses were prevalent!

Oust seems to mask the smell of death better than some other air fresheners.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #31
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by holder310 View Post
"Now how is a domesticated Alabama mouse going to know what bobcat urine smells like?" I had to agree. I just hope it is instinct.
I think you are right about the instinct.

Here is a curious story. Some years back Washington DC residents used to get tiger droppings from the zoo, to put around their back yards. The droppings repelled deer who liked to nibble on cherry tree shoots and other tasty plants.

When the zoo ran out of tiger droppings, some people tried lion droppings but they didn't work. The deer walked right past them and munched on the shrubbery.

Now how did those deer know they can outrun a lion but not a tiger? There have been no wild lions or tigers in that area for 20,000 years?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You may not believe this! But I swear it works! I don't have mice in my trailer yet that I know of, but I was getting mice in my '46 Dodge pickup. which sets for long periods between drives. I don't remember where I heard this but mice don't like room deodorizors. I got a couple of those "flat disk" type with the twist up cover. They are about 1/2" thick by 3" in diameter. Put one in the truck and haven't had a mouse since. OH! by the way, I live on a farm.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #33
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I believe it! I think that is why people are saying dryer sheets and the the Fresh Cab that we use seem to have the same results. I think I read somewhere that some natural essences like peppermint or spearmint keep them away. I am going to do an experiment when my Fresh Cab bags lose their essence. I am going to buy some of the same smells as are listed on the box and just spray back on the bags to see if they still work. The Fresh Cab are just crushed corn cob w/different herbal essences added and put in a cloth bag.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Berwyn , Alberta
Bounce works well, but try Irish Spring soap bars, as well. We store our 27.5 Kustom Koach and the tow vehicle every winter on an acreage in farm country and have never had a mouse in the house. Use a dozen or so bars - still in the boxes - placed strategically in closets, under the sink, lying on top of the bed, on the countertops and in outside storage compartments. I even stick one in the diesel exhaust pipe before I tape a plastic bag over it ( to prevent nesting ) and we've never had a mouse in the place in the past ten years. Good luck trapping them!
RockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I'll have to try the Fresh Cab that's been mentioned. Someone at a campground claimed he had success with one of those electronic repellants. Any thoughts about those?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Snead , Alabama
Do not use any poision!!!! A simple small mouse trap is best, cheese or peanut butter.
frankfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #37

bloomington , Minnesota
mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypill View Post
full- timing , currently in california state park in SoCal, in a 30' argosy. The mouse is in the house. any ingenious ways to catch the critter. i have searched, and found some entry points in the back bumper, next to the water/sewer lines, and i've filled the gaps. next i've placed traps in the pantry. i dont suppose poison is a good idea. any advice out there?
Place trap or poison next to water pump or below closet and leave 24/7.
don m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mice may be smarter than we are when it comes to room deodorizers—who knows what chemicals are in those? When we go to motels, I unplug the electrically operated ones.

The old fashioned mouse trap works very well. Just be very careful when setting it up because they must really hurt when your finger gets caught. I used to release the corpse and use them again, but my wife was grossed out by my money saving approach.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Burlington , Vermont
I have had great success with a variation on Tin Hut John's method, which I call "the Last Lap.

1 5 gal bucket, 1 empty beer can, 1 tsp peanut butter, 1 coathanger, 1 gallon of water.

suspend the can on the coat hanger from the bucket, spead peanut butter on can. Mouse tighropesout to can, which then pivots sending him to his demise in the water. Its not humane, but niether is anything other than a catch and release, which kinda defeats the point.
MORA is offline   Reply With Quote