Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #1

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
tacoma , Washington
Smile Living in a Interstate full time, advice and 2014.5 or 2015?

hello
i am looking for advice from anyone who has lived in a interstate for a extended period of time and what they thought of it? whats essential and any suggestions before i make my purchase? i am also undecided between a new 2014.5 and 2015, doesnt seem like alot changed in that time but if any knows of some key points to point out, let me know!
I am in my late 20's and decided that i dont want a big mortage, or to be stuck in one place like owning a home. i feel that the interstate would be a great way to live for the next 10 years or so!
radiantred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Go for it. My wife and I put 80K miles on our 2005 Interstate. Lots of 2-3 week trips. The 2015s are even larger and roomier. Get at least 200 watts of solar so you have more destination choices.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Maggie's opinion is the one that will probably matter most. To the best of my knowledge, she and her late husband have gone on the longest-duration trips (months at a time) and with the greatest number of people (themselves plus up to six grandkids) though probably not both at once.

As for me, the longest trip to date in my Interstate has only been 9 days/8 nights, mainly because that's the longest I've been able to take off from work. After I retire, I expect to make longer trips, but I don't think I'd full-time in mine. I can't bear to divest myself of enough stuff to fit everything I own into one. But if a hurricane should happen to wipe out my apartment while I'm evacuated in my Interstate, that might cease to be a problem because an angry Mother Nature will divest me of my stuff…

A word of caution, if you're going to full-time, you might want to consider want a toad, just so you don't have to break camp and pack away all of your worldly belongings every time you want to drive to the grocery store (you only get a 3.1cf fridge in an Interstate). If not a toad, then a light motorcycle or a scooter on a hitch-mounted rack, or bicycles, whatever works best. I recommend the toad because it works as a de facto trailer for carrying additional stuff as well, while the other transport options take away storage space you could be using— and with the right toad, you could carry the bikes or scooter on its rear bumper.

On edit— You say you're in your twenties. Unless you're a migrant worker or independently wealthy so that you're not pinned to a work location, you might do better full-timing in a trailer. Not only do you get the option of more living space, but if your work doesn't move every day, why should your home?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm.

Our longest trip was 142-143 consecutive days, something like that. We did fine, had the time of our lives.

We had grandkids with us only going from one place to another, never for any extended period on the road. It really does only comfortably sleep two.

If you have few possessions or are ready to seriously downsize, it is entirely doable to meet all basic needs within such a small space.

Think it through.

Maggie
Old 08-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We are looking at the 2015 Classic 30. Looks like it would make a better FTing TT
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The OP was asking about the Interstate class B MH. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The OP was asking about the Interstate class B MH. Jim
True. But beetlebob made a valid point. For less money, the OP could get a brand-new trailer with more living space, as long as he already had a vehicle to tow it. And if he bought both used, he could get a trailer with more living space AND a tow vehicle for less money than a new Interstate.

I wouldn't trade in my Interstate for anything else; it will last longer than I'm likely to. But I'm never going to be a full-timer. When it comes to full-timing, especially for someone still in his twenties as is the OP, one has to be practical. And an Interstate just isn't practical as a full-timing RV for a young working stiff.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Is there a Lavatory in the Interstate? Hard to tell from Airstream's website, which doesn't seem to offer a floorplan, just 3 pictures.

I'd think that full timing with access to a larger lavatory and bath would make life easier.

And I agree personally with Protagonist. Less money getting a TT and TV.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Is there a Lavatory in the Interstate? Hard to tell from Airstream's website, which doesn't seem to offer a floorplan, just 3 pictures.
Wet bath. A small one.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
different subject.
how do you get to change your name on the post when it comes up? and how do you put a picture with it also?
as protagonist HAS DONE?
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Just back from 123 days in our interstate. Was great! But I could never full time in it, even if I was alone. I agree with others about looking at a trailer. Would b much easier and more pleasant to full time in. You'd have a separate shower, bigger fridge, more space, more storage space, and wouldn't have to unhook everything just to run an errand.

Edit: It would also b easier to hang out with a couple friends in a trailer.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan hartman View Post
different subject.
how do you get to change your name on the post when it comes up? and how do you put a picture with it also?
as protagonist HAS DONE?
Go to "UserCP" then select "Edit Profile Picture" to change your picture.

As for changing the name, I've never done it, but I think that requires moderator intervention.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Just back from 123 days in our interstate. Was great! But I could never full time in it, even if I was alone. I agree with others about looking at a trailer. Would b much easier and more pleasant to full time in. You'd have a separate shower, bigger fridge, more space, more storage space, and wouldn't have to unhook everything just to run an errand.

Edit: It would also b easier to hang out with a couple friends in a trailer.
We put 80,000 miles on our 2005 Interstate in 8 years. Our longer trips were typically 30 days. We bought a International 19 in 2013 and thought it was really spacious in comparison. We moved up to a 2014 23D this summer. All of your reasons for looking for a trailer were our's as well.

There are times that we long for the old Interstate. We could get out of Dodge quickly. Stop at a Starbucks at will. Park almost anywhere we'd want (24 feet vs 42 feet). Didn't have to deal with towing hassles. Much less exterior maintenance. We got 20-22mpg compared to 11-12.

Agreed. It's a touring coach.....not necessarily suited for full timing, but damn fun for charging around the country.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Interstateflyer....I agree with all the "plusses" to the Interstate, which is probably why we bought one instead of a trailer. But yea, for living in full time...no way!!

I was at our local dealer today for 4 hours, waiting for some stuff to be done on our Interstate, and we spent part of that 4 hours looking at the Airstream trailers. A 23' trailer was more spacious and more livable(as in, really long term living), than an Interstate would be, in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Interstateflyer....I agree with all the "plusses" to the Interstate, which is probably why we bought one instead of a trailer. But yea, for living in full time...no way!!

I was at our local dealer today for 4 hours, waiting for some stuff to be done on our Interstate, and we spent part of that 4 hours looking at the Airstream trailers. A 23' trailer was more spacious and more livable(as in, really long term living), than an Interstate would be, in my opinion.
For really long term living and working, and still have parking flexibility I'd probably go with a 25/27 footer and an 2500/250 tow vehicle. The 23 is cool, but while perfect for 2-4 week jaunts is not quite spacious enough to minimally take the place of a home and office.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
For really long term living and working, and still have parking flexibility I'd probably go with a 25/27 footer and an 2500/250 tow vehicle. The 23 is cool, but while perfect for 2-4 week jaunts is not quite spacious enough to minimally take the place of a home and office.
True, I'm sure. I was just mentioning the 23' as an example of how much more roomy the trailers are.