Old 05-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Is this really "full-timing"?

My husband and I have spent the last year divesting ourselves of our possessions and selling our residence so that we can move into our AS Classic. We are not changing our lives in any other way. The RV park we're "planting" ourselves in is only 3 miles from our business (which we will continue to work in as always), and we will continue to participate in all other normal activities. All we're doing is moving into our trailer. Is this considered "full timing"? I don't want to insult other people who have literally hit the road to full time, but I'd like to think that we're at least partway to our dream.

WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Yes and no. Yes in that you will be living in your Aistream as your primary residence. Maybe in that you will be residing in an RV park. Possibly no in that the Airstream is not being moved. On the other hand, if you take your vacation trips in the Airstream, you are definitely a full-time Airstreamer.

Regardless, good luck and best wishes in your new life style. Please keep us posted on your adventure.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said, Brian.

One other aspect that makes this situation a little less than the traditional "full-timing" situation is the proximity of your office. Having such a "base of operations" nearby is not too much different than having a house close by IMO, in terms of having various life-support functions available on short notice.

When you give up the office, and only stay at the RV park for a couple of weeks a year, then when you hit the road that would be more officially called full-timing. When things go wrong, or you need to make some calls, you can't go back to the house OR the office to deal with it.

Regardless of which category -- have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Yes you are full time living in your Airstream. No you are not full time traveling in your Airstreaming.

So you articulate it when asked and we can accept it or come up with another word.

Either way it's an adventure and it's yours and you don't have to fit into some box.

Sounds fun to me.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
I agree. Back in the 90's we were in between houses, so we parked the 25' AS next to the office on the edge of a field, and camped out there for a few months. Full hook-ups, an office next door [incl cordless land line phone in the trailer], and a cozy location. Only winter forced us to move!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly of Center Moriches, NY) , South Dakota
If you've sold your "stick & brick" and are now living in your Airstream all the time then YES, you are Full-Timers. LOTS of people are doing exactly what you're doing (for a variety of reasons). There may come a time when you decide to travel more in your Airstream but, until that time arrives, enjoy (and be happy with) your current situation.

I'm currently "in contract" to get my stick & brick sold (after 35+ years). Once I close, I WILL be traveling extensively (at least as long as I'm healthy enough to drive). I do have a Plan B (and even a Plan C) when the time comes that I'll have to "hang up the keys". Until that time comes, there's SO much to see, do and explore and, I plan on doing and seeing as much as possible.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
I'd call it living in a trailer park.
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
It's your picture, paint it whatever color or subject that you choose....I envy you however
you choose to paint it...

For whatever it's worth..

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Ms View Post
I'd call it living in a trailer park.
RV Park. Trailer park is mobile homes.

Besides, those who “live” at an RV Park may be retired, disabled, working locally on contract, caring for a sick relative, etc. Of most sub-categories, only a few never again move the RV.

Full-time means a mobile residence. How often it’s moved is beside the point.

Maintaining and repairing one of these (plus insurance, registration, etc) is a great deal more expensive than allowing it to rot in place. In only a few years it’s thousands of dollars, before a “vacation trip” is undertaken. Then a properly set-up tow vehicle, also maintained to a high standard.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
My husband and I have spent the last year divesting ourselves of our possessions and selling our residence so that we can move into our AS Classic. We are not changing our lives in any other way. The RV park we're "planting" ourselves in is only 3 miles from our business (which we will continue to work in as always), and we will continue to participate in all other normal activities. All we're doing is moving into our trailer. Is this considered "full timing"? I don't want to insult other people who have literally hit the road to full time, but I'd like to think that we're at least partway to our dream.
Who cares what the world calls it. If you want to call it full timing, then call it that. The concept of freedom is releasing yourself from all these worldly titles and possessions that we attach ourselves to anyway. As long as you are happy with the situation, go for it!

Good Luck & have fun.
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Slowmover brought up another question that we have. What is the minimum length of time that we can let the trailer sit in place without moving it? For the first time (because it has been in RV storage) we are going to use tire covers, but we have a concern about - perhaps - other tire issues? Even if we don't go on a trip we can still hook it up and haul it around for a few hours if that's a good idea.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tires just aren’t going to last long on a vehicle that sits. Sure, they’ll hold air quite a few years, but 3-Years is fair (in my estimation) for a replacement set. Could be five years (climate, conditions, etc), but somewhere between those is a sweet spot.

No matter how often I ran the TT, had ideal storage, etc, would I want to exceed five years VERSUS the risk of blowout.

Others may do as they wish. Were a set of cheap tires $500 and the best $1000, I’ve gotten my moneys worth. The cheap tires it went no where. The expensive tires it had 10k miles plus. The clock stopped either way.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Foiled Again (my sister) worked her business and full-timed for many years before she retired. SO IMHO, yes you are. Any time you want to take off, you hook up and go, be it for a weekend or a month. Congrats and have fun!
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Honey, you get to define it for yourself. Enjoy!

3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote