Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Spicewood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Look at this setup on page 1 of this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...dy-114645.html

Does it have to be the current bike? Or would something like this meet your accessory transportation needs, and still allow for a more standard AS trailer to meet your lodging needs?
You mean hauling the bike in the bed of the truck? The issue there is getting a 750 lb bike UP there, practically and safely! And, yes, the current bike is the 40th one I've owned, and it's the keeper!

In my current cargotrailer-based combination garage / toyhauler / RV, the rear ramp makes getting the bike in or out easy, especially since the floor of the trailer is just 16" above the pavement.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

Spicewood , Texas
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I think the more experienced guys should chime in, but I would think that for a Panamerica (Gross weight 11,500#) you would also need an F250 or F350. Not sure an F150 can pull/stop that trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
I'll say AMEN to that one.
An F150 with the larger of the 2 Ecoboost gas engines is actually rated for 11,700 lb towing, and that's per the new much more realistic SAE towing standard. The Ecoboost's tow rating is FAR higher than that of the 5.0 liter engine, which is no slouch itself.

Per the same SAE standard, an F250 with the 6.2 liter gas engine, with normal gearing is good for 12,XXX and with 4.10 gearing is good for over 14,000.

Mind you, not having pulled that weight with an actual Ecoboost-equipped truck, I am just in effect "quoting Ford". The real world performance might be less than acceptable.

If I go with a SOB toyhauler, I have to get a particularly light one, as the normal 38 to 40 foot ones weigh 12,500 minimum dry with no cargo, and most are actually 14,000 and up dry with no cargo. Our bike plus other cargo totals to about 2500 lb, so now the SOB toyhauler hits 15,000 lb. minimum and more likely 16,500 lb. I don't want that, because it forces me into a diesel, and I both can't justify the cost AND don't like the "scale" of that "solution".

One idea I have been considering is buying an aluminum "race trailer with living quarters". These are designed for car and motorcycle racers, and are far lighter than the conventional SOB toyhaulers. A 40 foot gooseneck (32' lower level plus 8' above the gooseneck), with 16' garage and 24' living quarters, weighs 9000 to 10,500, so if I got one at the 9000 lb weight, and added our 2500 lb of bike plus other gear, I'm at 11,500 - same as the Panamerica.

This solution would not have the water leakage problems associated with the Airstream design, but still has an all aluminum frame, body, and roof. The roof on these is ONE piece aluminum. The walls, being absolutely vertical, don't flow water past the windows to the extent that the Airstreams do. And, unlike the Airstreams, you CAN get living quarters with one slide! You can even get an aluminum plank floor instead of plywood. The overall height is far lower than SOBs, and close to that of an Airstream. Some of the front ends, like the Featherlite brand for example, are even somewhat "aero". You can order them custom with as many windows as you want, and the quality of living quarters and garage finish that satisfies you.

The cost of the race trailers with living quarters, ordered and built to your option choices, runs from $48,000 to $60,000, which is far less costly than an Airstream.

The biggest concern I have about the race trailer approach is liquidity. I have NEVER seen one at a conventional RV dealership - they seem to be sold only through specialized dealers who handle commercial trailers. Since a conventional SOB is itself hard enough to sell when you are done using it, I fear that selling a race trailer could be an even longer and harder process.

Jim G
Old 09-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Over the years I have seen both of these systems used. The RV lift is nice because it goes to ground level. The truck model you drive into the auto front wheel lock at a slight angle and then activate the winch. It will load and unload itself. Ramps are mounted on top of bed side rail.

Powered Motorcycle Ramp Systems | DiscountRamps.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powered-motorcycle-ramp__9.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	248507   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-motorcycle-carrier.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	248508  

2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Spicewood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
Over the years I have seen both of these systems used. The RV lift is nice because it goes to ground level. The truck model you drive into the auto front wheel lock at a slight angle and then activate the winch. It will load and unload itself. Ramps are mounted on top of bed side rail.

Powered Motorcycle Ramp Systems | DiscountRamps.com
I had forgotten about those 2 products! Thanks!

Jim G
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Jim G, you haven't said how much you plan to travel. How frequently will you move it?
Have you considered commissioning a Tiny House, which you can customize to the nth degree?
I've followed many TV discussions here, and based only on theory, I think even with a large Airstream, if you calculate in all the realistic weights of your things and gear, you will be safer with a truck that is larger than you will enjoy owning. So you will need to make peace with owning a large truck, and if so, that removes one reason to get an Airstream.
I just moved from a 22' to a 30' Airstream, for ONE person (well, one person most of the time). After 5 years in the 22', I was done with compromises. But even in the 30', I can't imagine there not being problems with personal or storage space. I am still living with compromises in the 30'.
Would you son be comfortable never being able to stretch his arms out indoors? Never moving quickly? You have to consider every physical move you make in order to not bump into things (or people). You have to close one door before opening another. You can't leave anything out without causing a tripping hazard. Is that reasonable in your case? I don't envy your decision process.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Jim,

Are you the same Jim G from the SSR forum ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475_2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	250109  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Spicewood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
Jim G, you haven't said how much you plan to travel. How frequently will you move it?
Have you considered commissioning a Tiny House, which you can customize to the nth degree?
I've followed many TV discussions here, and based only on theory, I think even with a large Airstream, if you calculate in all the realistic weights of your things and gear, you will be safer with a truck that is larger than you will enjoy owning. So you will need to make peace with owning a large truck, and if so, that removes one reason to get an Airstream.
I just moved from a 22' to a 30' Airstream, for ONE person (well, one person most of the time). After 5 years in the 22', I was done with compromises. But even in the 30', I can't imagine there not being problems with personal or storage space. I am still living with compromises in the 30'.
Would you son be comfortable never being able to stretch his arms out indoors? Never moving quickly? You have to consider every physical move you make in order to not bump into things (or people). You have to close one door before opening another. You can't leave anything out without causing a tripping hazard. Is that reasonable in your case? I don't envy your decision process.
In the past, we have briefly (4 months to a year at a time) fulltimed in a diesel pusher, a conversion bus, and a 27' trailer, and CURRENTLY have lived in a "park model" cabin at an RV resort for the past 3 years, so yeah, we know about, and feel comfortable, with small spaces and "tiny houses" (The park model is larger though than the smallest "tiny houses"!). It's the household equivalent of preferring a Kia Soul to a Ford Van! (In fact, my wife's car is a Kia Soul!)

We are, after several weeks of research and visiting RV dealerships, gravitating towards the possibility of an all aluminum 40 foot ("4-horse") "Living Quarters" horse trailer as a potential solution. Like the Airstream, it is far better built than a typical RV, unlike the Airstream even the floor is aluminum, unlike the air stream, it has square corners and so lots more storage, and the entire rear 1/3 of the 40' trailer could house our son's bedroom plus the motorcycle (when actually traveling down the highway- even comes with a ramp) plus extra wardrobe and storage cabinetry! And, the dry weight of a well-equipped living wuarters 40 footer runs from 9300 to 10,500 lb! The cost is also less than that of an Airstream (You can get a really nice one for the price of an Eddie Bauer model Airstream).

Jim G
Old 10-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Spicewood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Jim,

Are you the same Jim G from the SSR forum ?
Yes!

(For those who do not know, for years I was a "techie author" on the SSRfanatic.com forums, and ended up writing a 320 page e-book on the Chevrolet SSR retro pickup that GM produced for the 2003 to 2006 model years. It included documenting the building of my personal 575 hp supercharged SSR)

Jim G
Old 10-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
I've got mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Originally Posted by rostam View Post

One idea I have been considering is buying an aluminum "race trailer with living quarters". These are designed for car and motorcycle racers, and are far lighter than the conventional SOB toyhaulers. A 40 foot gooseneck (32' lower level plus 8' above the gooseneck), with 16' garage and 24' living quarters, weighs 9000 to 10,500, so if I got one at the 9000 lb weight, and added our 2500 lb of bike plus other gear, I'm at 11,500 - same as the Panamerica.

This solution would not have the water leakage problems associated with the Airstream design, but still has an all aluminum frame, body, and roof. The roof on these is ONE piece aluminum. The walls, being absolutely vertical, don't flow water past the windows to the extent that the Airstreams do. And, unlike the Airstreams, you CAN get living quarters with one slide! You can even get an aluminum plank floor instead of plywood. The overall height is far lower than SOBs, and close to that of an Airstream. Some of the front ends, like the Featherlite brand for example, are even somewhat "aero". You can order them custom with as many windows as you want, and the quality of living quarters and garage finish that satisfies you.

The cost of the race trailers with living quarters, ordered and built to your option choices, runs from $48,000 to $60,000, which is far less costly than an Airstream.

The biggest concern I have about the race trailer approach is liquidity. I have NEVER seen one at a conventional RV dealership - they seem to be sold only through specialized dealers who handle commercial trailers. Since a conventional SOB is itself hard enough to sell when you are done using it, I fear that selling a race trailer could be an even longer and harder process.

Jim G
Jim, this what I own. Another reason a Featherlite won't leak is the rivets aren't in drilled holes. The trailer is made like a pressurized airplane. My trailer has about 800 rivets, maybe more. NO steel frame, uses aluminum I-beams for monocoque construction.

Featherlite trailers aren't sold by RV dealers that sell what I call "RV junk". Find & go to a Featherlite dealer. Or dealers for the other aluminum trailers.

Don't worry about resale value. My trailer is worth more than I paid. That said, not much interest for toyhaulers East of Mississippi.

My trailer is 32', with 28' box,& pointy nose that is a utility stand up storage locker with a man door. Weight is 6000 with 12000 GVWR. I do love that trailer so much.

I have named it the"USS Ronald Reagan" in honor of the U.S. Navy. I used my E250 based Coach House type B named "Blue Angel" to tow it to Glacier National Park. 5500 miles no problems except replace aged out tires & exhaust pipe melted a gray water tank.

This trailer has a nice queen bedroom + 2 sofas/beds in the main area. It easily carries a side by side OHV + a Kawasaki Dual Sport motor cycle & 2 eBikes.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote