Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Wayward - that really is the warning:
Thanks for the info.

I still do not read "fulltiming" into that. It says permanent living - that means using it like a mobile home.

But then again I consider fulltiiming as having the Airstream as my only place to sleep but picking up and moving on regularly - not parked, up on jacks with the wheels off.

Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The only model Airstream with a second bedroom space is the 31' Fling Cloud bunk model with a queen bed in front and a sort of double bed with a weight limited (150 pounds) twin bunk above. No toy hauler capability.

There are a still few 2010 PanAmerican toy hauler models on the road and are hard to find. A friend hauls his GoldWing inside and has almost a complete shop in it.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
Thanks for the info.

I still do not read "fulltiming" into that. It says permanent living - that means using it like a mobile home.

But then again I consider fulltiiming as having the Airstream as my only place to sleep but picking up and moving on regularly - not parked, up on jacks with the wheels off.

Oh - so you're defining full-timing as not being stationary but using it year round and being on the move - that makes sense.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The drawback to the Bunkhouse is that it is not very wide open. It's packed for functionality, the isle down the center can be congested with 2 people. There is a thread here with a Serinety with recliners which the guy special ordered. My Bunkhose is nowhere as open as that. However, it is perfect for us. We sleep 6 fairly comfortably and can do a month on the road with no problems.

Sure is nice to come home to 4000 square feet, however.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We speed 6-7 months year in our Airstream. We are outdoors or somewhere outside the Airstream most of every day. Meals, evenings and sleeping is all we need it for, so it works very well for the two of us. It would not work with three.

You will need comfortable seating, a real sofa or recliners, for long term use. We customized our seating. The only Airstream model offering a real sofa now is a Classic, probably not comfortable for three adults.

Forget the motorcycle. The Panamerica will haul one, but the remaining living space is snug. The Eddie Bauer is for a kayak or two.

All Airstreams are extremely tiny houses.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Much as I think Airstreams are nice trailers, I do not think that any Airstream is well suited to your needs.

My suggestion is that you look strongly at other brands and types of RVs, which offer slide-outs and much more comfortable seating and sleeping arrangements than Airstreams offer.

Though the physical profile of 5th wheels is nearly as much as Class A motor coaches, they easily offer the most home-like and spacious accommodations, for very economical pricing, for those looking for long-term comfort for more than two people. Take a good look at 5th wheels. For much less than the cost of an Airstream trailer, you can have a MUCH more spacious and livable RV in the form of a 5th wheel, and some other brands of trailers as well.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
The really large fifth wheels usually require graduating from a ¾ ton diesel that can tow any Airstream to a one ton dually for the extra stability and tongue weight. Usually the pulling power (engine) are identical between the two sizes.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
All Airstreams are extremely tiny houses.
So true, Doug. As much as most of us are enamored with our Airstreams, for some people, they require a significant compromise in terms of space and storage, especially for family units of three or more people.

I know that you spend the majority of your time outside your Airstream. Some others, however, tend to spend much time inside their RVs, depending on the seating comfort inside their rigs, climate, environment, health, lifestyle, etc. My wife and I spend a good bit of time doing graphics work while on the road, and doing so while relaxing in the Airstream, in our recliners with laptop computers, makes being on the road comfortable and easy to work. It may surprise some people how much time we do spend inside our Airstream when we travel... but we do so because that is what works for us and because we have chosen a model, and equipped it well, to meet our particular needs.

Also, some folks like to entertain guests inside their RVs, especially when weather or other conditions are not conducive to outdoor socializing (most likely a couple entertaining another couple). Airstreams are not great rigs for such purposes, but other brands and types of RVs (slides figure into this) can be very comfortable for four to six adults enjoying company for an afternoon or an evening.

We love our Airstreams, but even our 30' Serenity, as you say, is "an extremely tiny house."

I feel that the OP's needs would be much better met with an RV with slide-outs, which is larger than an Airstream. Some other brands of trailers, and most 5th wheels, would be surprisingly home-like for three adults to live in together.

Many spacious, well-designed mid-sized 5th wheels can be effectively towed with a 3/4 ton diesel. I towed a 29' fifth wheel with a Ford F-250 with V-10 gas engine for a few years. It worked out well. The largest 5th wheels, as Switz mentions, are best towed with 1-ton duelly pickups.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Spicewood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Airstream DID make a 34' toyhauler called the Panamerica for a few years. Here's a link to one, which was thoroughly remodeled/upgraded by the 2nd owner. Here's the link. 17 pages of posts, please don't drool on your keyboard while reading.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f503...ot-117702.html

. . .

Paula
Paula, THANK-YOU for that link. It is proving to be very educaitonal, and inspirational.

The Panamerica IS capturing my interest. It would allow us to have the Airstream experience with both our son and my Harley, no problem.

I wonder though if I can really find one, and at a price we can handle. Airstream apparently made so few of them. I really, really like it though.

Jim G
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Spicewood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The really large fifth wheels usually require graduating from a ¾ ton diesel that can tow any Airstream to a one ton dually for the extra stability and tongue weight. Usually the pulling power (engine) are identical between the two sizes.
Yes, this, and generally unimpressive build quality, are what turn us off of most 5th wheels.

Neither my wife or I like the idea of hauling a 15,000 lb bohemoth on the highway coupled up to an 8500 lb truck. I also have read about too many horror stories on the latest GM and Ford diesels, especially the newer Fords, and while the Ram has the "good" diesel (the Cummins), even Cummins is apparently having some difficulties with the new emission standards, and the Ram truck is generally regarded as inferior to the GM or Ford trucks. And, diesel trucks are much more expensive to buy and then to maintain. I'd really like to avoid having to buy a Diesel. I'm more thinking either a Ford 6.2 liter gas (can haul up to 12,700 or 14,000+ with right gearing) or a Ford Ecoboost (can haul up to 11,800 lb). The Panamerica would seem to work with either of those gas trucks.

The build quality of the 5th wheels really turns us off.They "look good" when new, but they age very badly. By the time they are 8 years old, they look pretty faded and worn, and their resale values reflect that graphically. And the interior partition walls of 4.5mm luan covered with vinyl, and the flimsy plumbing, just don't cut it with me.

Then there's the slides. Yes, they wonderfully enlarge any RV. But, since their build quality varies a lot, you get problems too, like cracks in adjacent structural walls, slides that won't retract right when when you need to travel, and slides that deploy on the highway at 60 mph. We have actually seen all of the above happen.

We'd really like to be able to make an Airstream work.

Jim G
Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I pretty much think of Airstreams as a 2 person trailer no matter how long they are.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I agree with the two person thing. Whenever our adult son camps with us we lose the dinette and inside of the trailer suddenly becomes very crowded.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Ram truck is generally regarded as inferior to the GM or Ford trucks.
I wouldn't say that is the case anymore since 2009 Ram has improved build quality significantly. I've always been a GM guy and recently converted because the Ram's interior is superior to GM's quality. Ford is still up there. The big 3 however as a whole have really improved their interior qualities over the past 5 years from mounting market pressures.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #28
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Good question as I am essentially a full timer. I know that the SOB's make more sense for full timing. More storage, more creature comforts inside but for some reason I just can't envision RV'ing in an SOB. I really enjoy the Airstream experience. The rallies, the conversation and always much to talk about with fellow Airstreamers.

I do believe Flying Cloud has a bunk bed model which essentially would give you two bedrooms. The 30' flavor should allow for ample room.