Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
I use a blackberry curve with T-Mobile. It has unlimited data service, I can use my laptop with the blackberry for internet service. T-mobile charges $20.00 a month for the blackberry service and there is no extra to use it with my laptop. Where this is not as fast as high speed, it is faster then dial up. More than enough to surf the internet, and check email. You might not be downloading videos on this but works great for on the road, when I need faster service there is free wifi all over the place. I am using a free wifi at a What-a-Burger in Navarre, Florida. The blackberry takes care of 90% of my need to be online, the other 10% is cover by use of my laptop with the blackberry, or just some free wifi.

Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshovic View Post
However, I have a Wilson antenna on the trailer, and amplifier too (in the refer compartment).
We used to spell it "reefer". Maybe you just "think" you're on the internet after you visit the reefer compartment.

Gene

Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I don't want to get 'reefed' for inappropriate usage, so "refer" it is.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
does anyone know if i can fax something from my computer with my verizon usb aircard?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #47
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
apolaroid, I have a Blackberry Curve also. How do you use your laptop with it? I have AT&T and was told at Radio Shack that I needed a data cable and I needed to subscribe to an additional plan that cost $30/month. I use the Blackberry for email of course, but I don't surf the net with it because the edge browser is so slow.

I have the unlimited "data plan" but was told that is email and edge only.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I use a toshiba laptop with vista and wifi...thank god for flat screen tvs...now we have that extra space you know...
Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i did find a router for my usb verizon wireless modem. we'll see what's available when i need one on december.

Cradlepoint CTR500 w/Car Adapter, Wifi Antenna, Carrying Case [CTR500A-ANT-CASE-B] - $199.99 : 3Gstore.com, Mobile Broadband Made Easy. Verizon & Sprint EVDO Modems, Antennas, Amplifiers, CradlePoint Routers and MiFi.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
full time in canada/US , British Columbia
internet on the road

All good information above, love this forum! I'm currently full timing in an airstream in Canada, and the ability to full time is totally dependent on us having a good connection. WE've just begun the journey, and at this point are running up against some obstacles with signal strength.

I've followed the links above to 3gstore, so hopefully will find something that will help. Right now i'm perched on the john, as the bathroom is the only place that's getting the signal today where we are... though other days the signal's been great.

I'm currently in Canada, and wonder if there are other canadian experieces with the air card. I'm currently using Rogers and the results are dismal at best. Even when i'm in a large city i don't seem to get a great signal.

I also wonder about voice over ip, and people's experience there. I'm using skype right now and while it's cheap, it drops out often in the middle of a call. I also can't get a canadian number, which is important to me.

so for now, more questions than answers!

kim
khadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #51

Currently Looking...
Draper , Utah
Wi-Fi on the road? Get an iPhone 3G or 3G-S.

In the past we've tried to camp at KOAs that offer free Wi-Fi, although their range is usually limited and unreliable. Apple's iPhone has been a godsend for staying connected while camping.

I'm actually an iPhone developer, and can tell you that iPhone 3.0 will introduce a new feature called "Internet Tethering." This will allow your Mac to share your iPhone's 3G or EDGE connection over the USB cable, if you find that you can't do what you need on your iPhone alone. I assume PCs will be supported too but I'm not sure. Note that in the U.S., the iPhone currently includes an unlimited data plan via AT&T for about $80 a month (including voice). And if this works as rumored you wouldn't need an AirCard.

The free iPhone 3.0 software upgrade will be released by Apple on June 17.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Can you post a link?

Scenario-

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the good news. Good first post!

Can you post a link to the release in a new thread here? I think it might be of interest. There are quite a few Mac users here.

John
Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Tallahassee , Florida
Spint

Ok-- One more option. I have sprint and subscribe to Power Vision. Power Vision is sprints acess to the internet. I believe power vision is $5.00 extra per month. I have a Palm Centro. You can buy some "light" software from a company PDNET. PDNET allows you to then connect your Cell phone (power Vision) to your computer. Basically you are using the cell phone for the modem. It works pretty good. Not fast, but then again it is basically free. We do not use it at home and do not use it for hours on end. I understand from some, "Internet Blogs" that the cell phone companies are not real crazy about a person using this set up but if you don't abuse it, it does not come on their radar.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
2004 25' International CCD
Moab , Utah
I use their service. It runs on Verizon towers. If you have strong Verizon cell coverage then you will usually have a fairly quick 3G connection. The beauty of this is that up to 5 people can connect to the same router all for the single monthly fee.
You have to buy the router outright. You can configure your security settings. Better than risky random RV park Wi-Fi.
I recommend it. It's on the cusp of being outdated, but it's the best solution we have found for now.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #55

Currently Looking...
Draper , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Scenario-

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the good news. Good first post!

Can you post a link to the release in a new thread here? I think it might be of interest. There are quite a few Mac users here.

John
Well I may have spoken too soon. iPhone 3.0 does support tethering but AT&T appears to be blocking it by default, probably because they're worried about bandwidth. However, I found a hack that should enable this feature at least for Mac users:

Tether Your AT&T iPhone Right Now | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
Old 06-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have the Sierra 3G card for my laptop and it works really well, especially when traveling near major interstate highways. Driving from Austin, TX to Des Moines, IA I never lost signal while on interstate 35. Traveling East or West from Austin on I-10 the signal seems to be present most of the time all across the state. There will be some slow Edge signals when outside major metro areas though. Occasionally there will be no signal. I am quite pleased with the ATT aircard even though it costs $60 per month.

Dennis