Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
n2916s: Your faith in your Miami-Dade building inspector and codes for residential areas is not only misplaced it's downright naive. I seriously doubt roofs , sheds and pool enclosures are Risk Category IV (185+) designed so don't worry about your front window during the next "really big one" because your house will be GONE. For Denis 4 x 4: you are spot on. And there are many design reasons. Current max wind speeds are around 200 MPH with global warming pushing that up to 220 MPH. I have designed structures to withstand Fujita 7+ ( very radical cones) but flat slanted board and batten walls, bonded standing seam roofs, deep conical footings and ASCE 7 windows. These could be homes of the future for Miami-Dade ( and they far exceed the present minimum specs) but would not now be permitted. With some "tweeking" and carbon fiber technology, wind born debris protection can be achieved also. . So much for inspectors and codes that are are purported to help and protect us. Ask any building inspector about pressure treated wood foundations, double wall construction. houses without gutters, pig tail wiring, standing seam roofs wit or without water harvesting, and geothermal. Ask to see his code book--do not be surprised.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yeah, except that I was dead center when Andrew made landfall. My house, built in 1956, actually did pretty well. Lost all of the shingles and tar paper on the windward side, all the windows blew through, garage door crushed in, all the wooden fencing gone... 6 months and 60 grand later, good as new...

My neighbor took an entire "homemade" tool shed right through the front door and out the back. If they hadn't been cowering in the bathtub, who knows?

Much rather have enforced codes than not.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
As soon as I read your post I thought about the Port Homes. I wondered if anyone would mention them then about halfway through, they did. The concept is exactly what you describe though not in WNY.

I know of three port home communities in FL then of course in TN and Texas. I have search on the Internet for them. I like the idea too.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just remember that building to meet the code is building the worst that you can legally get away with.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
n2916s; Glad you did well with Andrew as it was worst in 30 years prior i.e. @F4 W/ eye of 145 mph AND gusts to 175 MPH. Surprised your 1956 house did that well because that was probably the pre-code which mandated hurricane clips for roof rafters to the double top plate. But then again , houses were built better back then. Codes tend to be minimum that keep houses affordable and insurance companies somewhat happy. Of course buyers can demand better and stronger construction and many builders are willing to perform. Often homes in such categories can cost as little as 10% more and in the long run capture costs in reduced insurance rates. I always build or remodel to way above NEC, NPC and National and International Building Codes. In many cases more fire safe also
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote