Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Your concept is somewhat like the permanent residences in North Texas Airstream Community in Hillsboro Tx. Most original homes were somewhat utilitarian with galvanized steel siding, but many of the newer homes are typical bungalows with high roof covers for the AS. You might try Googling NTAC. Could be some Photos and info on their website.
JCW

Old 05-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Mousouchop: And park your tow vehicle outside in Buffalo winters? So now we have a "garage" 24 feet wide with 2 each 9 foot doors. Sounds like you might want an AS 28 feet long or longer. Putting a guest bedroom and bath at one end on first floor , you'd be 43 feet long. Just a tad over 1,000 sq ft. I think you might get a building inspector to approve your pole barn "garage" complete w/ a "dump' station and water for washing vehicles and of course electricity is allowed. Show the guest BR as the "shop" on the plans complete w/ shower, toilet and small sink. In my town, no structure can exceed 20% of lot size so you would need a 50 x 100 foot lot here (check your codes). Flat roof for patio and gardens. Use no propane and in fact have a side shed (perhaps heated) for 2 20 pounders off your rig and one larger tank explained later. The AS must be all electric when garaged as you must avoid even the slightest chance of carbon monoxide venting problems. Add a 110v flash hot water heater, 2 NuWave induction cook tops, a large convection oven and your heat would be space heaters or baseboard if you can get them to fit nicely. (about $1K ). Replace your 50 amp main with a 100 amp one. That power chord stays with the garage. Your entertaining space in summer is the space where the tow vehicle would be parked with the garage doors open. In winter you fire up the overhead 110v thermostated propane radiant heat tube. You'll love how warm that heat is. Insulate only the "shop" to R24 and have the bath on radiant floor heat to prevent water freeze. Turn on the heat the BR as needed. GO FOR IT !!!!!

Old 05-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
AS shelters -- way out ideas?

As a single with a 20 footer, I have also entertained the idea of a longer term shelter for my AS, particularly in cold seasons. In accord with previous comments, it seems that any enclosure would not make use of the TT furnace (and AC). The shelter should have its own HVAC, with the AS using its excellent ventilation systems, helped by the metal structure's heat conduction paths to equalize temperatures.

An idea, maybe a fantasy, is to find an old abandoned rural service station with a service bay or two, and adapt it as an AS garage with possible TV storage. This presupposes that living would be mostly in the AS itself, but with room for some other activities.

Or perhaps some kind of semi-greenhouse with removable transparent wall panels to keep the AS windows unblocked while making use of passive solar heating on colder days. Probably would want to leave before full winter sets in.

Just brainstorming.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Buffalo , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButtUgly View Post
Mousouchop: And park your tow vehicle outside in Buffalo winters? So now we have a "garage" 24 feet wide with 2 each 9 foot doors. Sounds like you might want an AS 28 feet long or longer. Putting a guest bedroom and bath at one end on first floor , you'd be 43 feet long. Just a tad over 1,000 sq ft. I think you might get a building inspector to approve your pole barn "garage" complete w/ a "dump' station and water for washing vehicles and of course electricity is allowed. Show the guest BR as the "shop" on the plans complete w/ shower, toilet and small sink. In my town, no structure can exceed 20% of lot size so you would need a 50 x 100 foot lot here (check your codes). Flat roof for patio and gardens. Use no propane and in fact have a side shed (perhaps heated) for 2 20 pounders off your rig and one larger tank explained later. The AS must be all electric when garaged as you must avoid even the slightest chance of carbon monoxide venting problems. Add a 110v flash hot water heater, 2 NuWave induction cook tops, a large convection oven and your heat would be space heaters or baseboard if you can get them to fit nicely. (about $1K ). Replace your 50 amp main with a 100 amp one. That power chord stays with the garage. Your entertaining space in summer is the space where the tow vehicle would be parked with the garage doors open. In winter you fire up the overhead 110v thermostated propane radiant heat tube. You'll love how warm that heat is. Insulate only the "shop" to R24 and have the bath on radiant floor heat to prevent water freeze. Turn on the heat the BR as needed. GO FOR IT !!!!!
Thanks for the thoughtful ideas and words of encouragement! It sounds like it could be done. As you've recommended, everything definitely would have to be electric; good solution to the ventilation issue!

Are radiant heaters expensive to run? You mention one run on propane... I don't know that I've ever seen big propane tanks in the city, like I do in the country. It would likely have to be electric too.

I wonder if it would be considered code with all electric appliances and utilities (both garage and trailer).
Old 05-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
First off, find someone who has a handle on the zoning laws in your city/county and lay out your ideas. I've done a lot of projects that don't necessarily meet codes, but the county has opted to send me a tax bill for improvements every year! Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Talk to the contractors as to how far they think they can push envelope without violating safety issues. Keep in mind that building permits are nothing more than a way to track property tax revenue streams.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I respectfully disagree. I live in Miami and our building codes, permits and inspections are to ensure that your roof, shed, pool enclosure, what have you, don't come through my front window the next time the wind gets up.

I really don't need my neighbors "winging it"

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I respectfully disagree. I live in Miami and our building codes, permits and inspections are to ensure that your roof, shed, pool enclosure, what have you, don't come through my front window the next time the wind gets up.

I really don't need my neighbors "winging it"

Mike
I have no problem with your point of view....however there's a big difference between living on 15 acres in a rural setting and Miami. I own a number of Patented Mining Claims and I never fail to be amazed at the fact that many of the mining camp structures are still standing 125 years after they were built. What's even more amazing is that they survived harsh winters and it's doubtful if a single one was permitted!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
mousouchop: If you are residential with the new lot and build with pressure treated 6 x 6s set 6'on center, set in concrete. Use concrete board shiplap and standing seam metal roof. Such a structure solves a myriad of problems , is cheap and is maintenance free for years. I think most inspectors would permit it as it looks just like any residence in the area.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButtUgly View Post
mousouchop: If you are residential with the new lot and build with pressure treated 6 x 6s set 6'on center, set in concrete. Use concrete board shiplap and standing seam metal roof. Such a structure solves a myriad of problems , is cheap and is maintenance free for years. I think most inspectors would permit it as it looks just like any residence in the area.
Are you building a barn or an habitable space? If the latter, nothing you described would comply with the building code. Unless you're property is zoned for light industrial, I doubt you'd be permitted to build a large garage as a principal building. The best thing the OP could do is visit his local building department to find out what is possible or hire a consultant who can do it for him. Too much speculation here without knowing local zoning.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's been on my mind for years. But I wouldn't consider it except a fair ways south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Winter and TTs don't mix well. Easier to deal with an extended cooling season versus heating. Thermal mass, not just CO considerations (which are big).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Buffalo , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Are you building a barn or an habitable space? If the latter, nothing you described would comply with the building code. Unless you're property is zoned for light industrial, I doubt you'd be permitted to build a large garage as a principal building. The best thing the OP could do is visit his local building department to find out what is possible or hire a consultant who can do it for him. Too much speculation here without knowing local zoning.
Thanks. I'm in the process of talking to a friend that built recently in my neighborhood. I will see what information I can glean from her, and then move on to talking to officials after that.

As everyone has speculated, I think I would have to be willing to move from my current neighborhood to make a structure of this type permissible. That's too bad.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #40
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
One passing thought. A lawyer once said, do not ask questions that you do not know the answers to. Another thought is that tipping one's hand before the play is planned can change the field and rules. And the final point. The marketing team gets them to say yes and then keeps them saying yes. Good luck. Pat
Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
n2916s: Your faith in your Miami-Dade building inspector and codes for residential areas is not only misplaced it's downright naive. I seriously doubt roofs , sheds and pool enclosures are Risk Category IV (185+) designed so don't worry about your front window during the next "really big one" because your house will be GONE. For Denis 4 x 4: you are spot on. And there are many design reasons. Current max wind speeds are around 200 MPH with global warming pushing that up to 220 MPH. I have designed structures to withstand Fujita 7+ ( very radical cones) but flat slanted board and batten walls, bonded standing seam roofs, deep conical footings and ASCE 7 windows. These could be homes of the future for Miami-Dade ( and they far exceed the present minimum specs) but would not now be permitted. With some "tweeking" and carbon fiber technology, wind born debris protection can be achieved also. . So much for inspectors and codes that are are purported to help and protect us. Ask any building inspector about pressure treated wood foundations, double wall construction. houses without gutters, pig tail wiring, standing seam roofs wit or without water harvesting, and geothermal. Ask to see his code book--do not be surprised.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Yeah, except that I was dead center when Andrew made landfall. My house, built in 1956, actually did pretty well. Lost all of the shingles and tar paper on the windward side, all the windows blew through, garage door crushed in, all the wooden fencing gone... 6 months and 60 grand later, good as new...

My neighbor took an entire "homemade" tool shed right through the front door and out the back. If they hadn't been cowering in the bathtub, who knows?

Much rather have enforced codes than not.

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote