Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
How long will 30 gallon LPG tank last, if...?

My new Flying Cloud 25 RB is used full time. I have had it about 3 weeks. I would like to anticipate when the first of the two LPG tanks is empty and think I will switch to the second tank a bit before tank 1 is exhausted so there is no interruption of gas to furnace/stove/frig. Of course, it depends on use. I am alone in its use. I am in Washington State on an island with temps usually ranging between 45 and 55 degrees. Enjoying a cool environment, I turn the furnace on for 20 minutes in the morning, setting at 66. A small electric space heater then keeps the AS at a comfortable temperature as it gets light and some morning warming occurs. A few colder days a week, I may later in the day turn the furnace on for a half hour longer. The stove is used about twice most days. I think I should see a dial-gauge on the tank turning red, but it is still green. Assuming the dial-gauge is working, when am I likely to see red? Yes, a newbie needs any advice the question deserves. Thanks.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I do not think you are going to get accurate answers to your question, unless someone lives your lifestyle in your climate. Way too much variability. Those tank mounted indicators or gauges see pressure, which is not a reliable indicator of what is in the tank. I have a Truma ultrasonic detector that you move up and down the outside of the tank and it gives a fairly accurate indication of liquid level. I'd suggest something like that if you really want to monitor your tank level.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
I think you would benefit some one of these if you don't want service interuption:

Cavagna (52-A-890-0006C) Auto Changeover Regulator Kit

trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Just check the gauge every day. When it shows red, flip the lever to the other tank and go get the first tank refilled. Your usage apparently is pretty low, since you're 3 weeks and counting on the first tank.

Or go do it now and get a feel for judging the tank status by weight. Complete refill on a 20lb tank is about 4.5 gallons, so your 30lb is probably about 7. After you've done this a few times you'll be able to estimate where the tanks are accurately enough.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Are you plugged into power for your space heater? If so, just use the heat pump! If not, you can set the regulators to use both tanks at the same time. The only problem is not knowing when one tank becomes exhausted.

BTW, Friday Harbor has to be one of my five most favorite places ever! You are blessed to be living there!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Upgrade to a Dyson Hot Cool heater.

The rest is subject to too much variance.

Look into winter living threads for ideas on how to conserve heat.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
25,000 BTU Furnace - Propane Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cope View Post
My new Flying Cloud 25 RB is used full time. I have had it about 3 weeks. I would like to anticipate when the first of the two LPG tanks is empty and think I will switch to the second tank a bit before tank 1 is exhausted so there is no interruption of gas to furnace/stove/frig.
Your FC should have an automatic switch over valve so that as one tank empties the valve will switch to the other tank. You can tell which tank is empty as the indicator on the valve will show red instead of green.

Your furnace uses 25,000 BTUs per hour when running. A full 30 lb tank contains about 639,000 BTUs, so your furnace would be able to run continuously for over 25 hours.

Your manual will also tell you how much propane (BTUs) the burners on the stove use.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Just a quick note: Your cylinders contain 30 pounds of LP, not 30 gallons. The notion of gallon varies a lot with temperature (and is therefore an inaccurate way of filling cylinders, but still acceptable as a way to charge for propane).

Lynn
Old 10-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have an older 25FB and have NEVER experienced a disruption in gas flow. I have an automatic change over valve and I am sure you do too. When you see the red indicator, flip the switch, turn off the valve to the empty tank and take it in to be filled. Bring the full one back, reconnect the hose and SLOWLY turn the valve back open.

Continue to monitor the gauge until it turns red again and repeat the process. There are a lot of folks out there that don't trust the engineering in the automatic switch over valve. They must monitor constantly, change before the tank is empty and take more trips than necessary. Then there are those who just wait for the tank to empty before they switch to the new tank. Now there is a disruption.

Have an electric space heater available in case of an emergency or, if you like, use that to heat the trailer.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Rob:
I full time in Bellingham and from my experience over the years is.
a)your regulator will switch over to the full tank when you empty the 1st one.j
b)I found that despite testing all my propane connections that they DO leak albeit
slowly so you can save a LOT of gas by turning off the gas when not in use.
c)I use a small electric heater mostly and only use the furnace when I want to go from near freezing to 70 in 10minutes. You should not need to use anything other than the little electric heater unless we get a freeze (rare).
NOW....to answer you question: I can get a couple months out of ONE 30Lb tank by:
a)heating up the 6gal tank in the eve for a shower (military style) then there is enough hot water to do dishes in the morning. I don't just leave the hotwater system on all the time.
b)use the electric heater mostly
c)keep your tank valves OFF mostly.
One way to test the integrity of your propane connections is......Before you go to sleep shut off the gas. In the morning try to light one of the stove tops with the gas off...if it lights for a couple sec's you have a fairly tight system. Chances are that after 12 hrs it won't light...that means you have the usual barely perceptible leaks.
PS: I keep my AS in a barn so there is less heat loss due to wind and rain which will suck the heat out much faster.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Two other alternatives:

1. Replace your 2 30# tanks with 2 40# tanks.
2. Buy a substantially larger tank & plumb it next to your 30# tanks.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cope View Post
My new Flying Cloud 25 RB is used full time. I have had it about 3 weeks. I would like to anticipate when the first of the two LPG tanks is empty and think I will switch to the second tank a bit before tank 1 is exhausted so there is no interruption of gas to furnace/stove/frig. Of course, it depends on use. I am alone in its use. I am in Washington State on an island with temps usually ranging between 45 and 55 degrees. Enjoying a cool environment, I turn the furnace on for 20 minutes in the morning, setting at 66. A small electric space heater then keeps the AS at a comfortable temperature as it gets light and some morning warming occurs. A few colder days a week, I may later in the day turn the furnace on for a half hour longer. The stove is used about twice most days. I think I should see a dial-gauge on the tank turning red, but it is still green. Assuming the dial-gauge is working, when am I likely to see red? Yes, a newbie needs any advice the question deserves. Thanks.
My vintage rig is 50 years old and the automatic gas switchover still works but the red/green flags do not. Not having a gauge on the tanks it is easy to tell how much is in the tank by taking a quart of hot tap water and pouring it slowly down one side of a tank. Then without delay feel the tank from top to bottom. Where the feel changes from warm to cold is the level in that tank. Mark it with chalk if you wish to have an erasable record. 10 days later repeat and you should then be able to extrapolate an estimate of how long the tank will last at that use rate.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
You can try this to keep an eye on the levels. Supposed to work pretty well.
To many variables in consumption to really tell how long a tank will last. If you have a water heater that can also operate on electric using that and the space heater will help significantly. The rv propane appliances are very inefficient.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/c...FYFZhgodb4YJ-Q
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Hi all,
I am impressed with all so much willingness to advise me. I have learned a lot from realizing it is pounds, not gallons to turning off valves when not in use....and so forth. This will be an ironic note: the very evening I posted the question, the first tank went to red, so I did the switch. Thanks all.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
It doesn't automatically switch over to the full tank?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
It doesn't automatically switch over to the full tank?
It depends on where you have the little arrow pointing. You can choose to have it switch over automatically if desired, or not. I like to know when I'm down to one tank, so that's how I usually use it.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, a true-blue down cover will go a long, long ways toward reducing your propane usage. It was pretty tempting to just stay in bed for another hour in the down cocoon this morning in taos rather than getting up, turning up the furnance, and getting the coffee on the stove. (Alas, the temptation of getting online and checking out a new ebook from the library was just too great! )
Lynn
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
In the conditions you gave in the original post our 40 lb tanks would last about 3 weeks to a month. We also use the propane for the hot water. I keep one tank off and one on and switch manually. Electricity is expensive where we winter so we sorta lean on the propane more than if we were traveling. We do use a small electric also.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I have been a fulltimer since July 2016. Filled my propane tank in April and just had it refilled last week in Florida. Only thing I have used is the water heater for propane. All cooking done either outside or in convection oven. Was not trying to conserve but do not leave the water heater on all the time even though it cycles.

That said, from April till November, I only used 1/2 tank of propane on the Landyacht.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #20
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Another option

Start with two full tanks.
Turn one tank valve on. Leave the other tank valve off. When the stove top or furnace quit running, exit the trailer and reverse the tank valve positions. Fill the the empty tank at the next opportunity. Repeat. You will never run out of gas unless you forget to fill the empty tank. KIS
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote