Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
How do you De-Bug ?

Central Texas in particular and much of Texas is having a severe drought. When this happens many outside creatures big and small seek water inside houses and to my surprise in my Safari! I've never used any sort of bug spray but need to do something......any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We use electronic gadgets for mice. It seems to work if we remember to change the batteries. Agricultural DE (diatomaceous earth) sprinkled around the wheels and hitch and inside the cabinets is a good organic prevention of crawling bugs. It must be dry to be effective.

Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The major drawback to DE is that it can cause lung problems if accidently inhaled. The silicon reaches our lungs and scrubs away, causing bleeding and cysts. This is especially true in asthmatic people. Since the powder is so finely ground, chances of accidently inhaling it are fairly high, especially if used on a carpet and vacuumed up with a vacuum that blows out a lot of air, or if applied to the fur outside with a wind blowing. Masks for the animal and the human using it are mandatory so be carefull using it.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A sacrificial OREO thrown under the Airstream will attract ants THERE rather than inside - If you stay in one place, replace the Oreo about once every week to 10 days. I've also used liquid ant bait - (basically caro syrup with arsenic or some other poison). I put it on a strip of scotch tape, then stick that to the floor/counter with one edge underfolded - very easy to pull off a day later when the bait is dried out and there are dozens of ant carcasses imbedded. Supposedly the majority of the ants go back to the den and feed everyone what they've collected resulting in a whole colony's death. But I find it takes about 10 days to get them all. I've used this bait on the steps and wheels of the Airstream - it's just amazing how these critters climb to get in.

I have one of those little RAID fans that is supposed to be a personal repellent. I've left it on all day while I'm gone and found a few spiders flies and noseeums lying around on the floor. Taking your shoes off outside might help.... I think I've tracked a lot of little critters in.

I did find out that the ceiling fan screens will not stop no-see-ums. In deep woods, etc. Always set them to blow out! IN setting literally blows some through the screen. You can crack a window or two for air exchange. The incoming breeze is much weaker than the fan generated one, so not as many critters are sucked in.

Where I get really freaked out is the spiders that LOVE my propane tank cover for building webs. I know most of them will EAT other bugs, but ech!

Paula
Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do not leave any....ANY...food residues in the Airstream. Even if it is boxed up, bagged up, etc. I take everything out when not in use and never had a problem...except for one ex-mouse that showed up last winter. I put out an Ortho product around the tires and the hitch (the sewer connect and electric connect as well) at campgrounds.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Where I get really freaked out is the spiders that LOVE my propane tank cover for building webs. I know most of them will EAT other bugs, but ech!
Paula
I believe there is something about propane that attracts spiders, especially the kind that build those little cottony webs. What has worked for me are those dog flea collars that you stretch to activate. I wrap one around the copper gas line in the fridge and water heater compartments far enough away from the burner so they won't light up. I've done this for over 20 years, replacing them each spring and no more spiders. You might try one wrapped around the bracket near the regulator to see if that helps.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I am another flea collar fan; they work and work for a long time. I even cut them up and stash the pieces in small locations. Great item. In addition, if I am leaving my AS for a while, I throw some of those Ortho rodent sticks at appropriate locations and check them once in a while to see if there have been any indication of interest. So far so good.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Use mint oil, eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil. Just go to a place that sells non-toxic bug spray and look at the ingredients. Most bugs & animals hate mint. Buy the essential oil, dilute in water and spray. We use this to keep mice away and it works. We plant mint in our yard and rub the leaves on us & don't get bitten.
|:::::::::/\::::::|>
n8andm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Nuke Em

For me, having survived all these years with exposure to what used to be everyday household, commercial, and industrial fumes and contaminants, I find that I am not adverse to going after critters in a "heavy duty" manner.

This time of year, for me, there is NO PROBLEM with opening all the cabinets, drawers, and doors and setting off a couple of bomb type aerators. I put them on newspaper to keep the stuff off of the floor itself. Totally eliminates encounter the stray spider web when walking through the unit as well as back in cubby holes..........

In storage, in my pump sprayer, I mix up the hottest stuff I can and spray it totally underneath, around the wheel wells, inside the propane storage, in the back storage in the bumper, in the exhausts for heaters/wh, and in the access doors.............Works for me and I dont get suprised by a wasp nest when leaning in to see if the frig pilot is burning or setting up a phone/cable connection..........God bless.........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We've used fabric softner dryer sheets with great success over the years. We place them in drawers, trunk, closet...everywhere. They keep the trailer smelling nice too.