Old 05-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #15
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Yep, we want less house and more driveway. Oh, and a *lot* less HOA.

We wouldn't hesitate to move if we found the right place to settle and retire.

That said, the Front Range won't be the place for us, given we recently escaped a late April snowstorm in Denver, and a torrential hailstorm that hit the place this week. However, we like Ray's approach - using the Airstream to try out and get to know a place that might be nice for retirement, followed by looking at property to see what can be found in the area. Great idea!

We're fine with four seasons as long as the winters are relatively mild and the summers aren't insanely hot. Phoenix and the Coachella Valley are definitely off the list (too hot!). So is anywhere in MT, WY or ID (too cold!). Texas is also off the list (it's just too Texas-y). Oklahoma, off the list (we're allergic to tornadoes). On the other hand, Santa Fe looks pretty tempting, Flagstaff is a possibility, and we're fairly happy in the PNW. Sequim, WA, and the surrounding area has real potential, though we might also like Oregon or Northern California. We'll see what happens as we get closer to the time to make that decision.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[QUOTE=Ray Eklund;1618830] If you move to Colorado from many parts of California... you get the same house for half the California price. Figure that... But it is true. Not entirely true, [QUOTE]

Hi, We sold our 63 year old Southern California house and bought a similar sized brand new house in Salem, Oregon for less than half the price. And love it. Medical insurance system was one deciding factor.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Yep, every storyteller tells his own tale suited to taste and life's experience. We sold the 125 y.o. house we lived in for 20 years outside of Chicago 18 months and 29 states ago to embark on a grand experiment. Took my job on the road since my boss wouldn't let me retire, so our travels dip into the more remote and scenics spots as often as we can, but mostly we wander to whatever seems like the next good place.
To use a dining metaphor, it's a dim sum or a tapas banquet, but so far we never stay long enough for the entree. And when we can, eat desert first...
At the start, one goal was to find that perfect place we might settle into ...partly because we'd never RV'd before and who knew? We think we may return for an entree serving at a place or two, Port Townsend, WA, or Bend, OR, or Asheville, NC to name a few. But the longer we're at this, we're starting to toy with a different idea (it's still an experiment, you know). That's to maybe settle down in two or three places. Just a piece of land with a trailer pad, some hardscape and perhaps a utility-plus building. With a parcel east, another west we could settle in, have a base and enough land to build a Real House down the road when the mood (or events) inevitably strikes. Donno. Think it may take me another decade or so to decide...

Al & Robin
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2011 F250 XLT 6.2L FlexFuel SD, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcate View Post

(SNIP)

But the longer we're at this, we're starting to toy with a different idea (it's still an experiment, you know). That's to maybe settle down in two or three places. Just a piece of land with a trailer pad, some hardscape and perhaps a utility-plus building. With a parcel east, another west we could settle in, have a base and enough land to build a Real House down the road when the mood (or events) inevitably strikes. Donno. Think it may take me another decade or so to decide...

Al & Robin
Interesting thought process......
Old 05-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
I think that we have the perfect setup for us for now-we have a house in North Central Florida as our home base where we spend the colder months- equidistant from the coasts so- dare I say it?- hurricanes not generally a problem. Close to major medical facilities and no real tourists in this neck of the woods....The Airstream lives under cover when we are not camping...For the Summer months,we have a piece of land in the mountains of NC that we constructed a cover for the Airstream with a deck on one side and a carport on the other-this is the perfect getaway spot. We feel well protected from the elements in either place. Have not explored west of the Mississippi yet, but last year, our first year of retirement,we made it to New England, and up to Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, taking our time over 5 months- only used the Air Conditioner 2 hours all Summer. In the winter months, Florida has so many campgrounds, we could stay in a different one every week and not repeat...we think of downsizing from our Florida house on 5 acres to a smaller space, but now that we are retired, we are getting the house fixed up the way we like it....maybe when we are too old to mow the lawn...retirement is awesome, and having our Airstream is a great way to travel...best of luck on your adventure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	238078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Florida Cover.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	238079  

Old 05-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
The greatest thing about owning an Airstream: remember it has wheels. So if you don't like where you are or if you're just tired of where you are you can go someplace else. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Almcate I like your idea and think that would be my preference. Maybe 2 acres in various states with parking pad, a shade structure, utility pedestal, a shed. It could be like your favorite camping spot but improved and always available several parts of the country for variety.

Flying Gypsies I love your triple structure and saved it to our file of potential outbuilding structures.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Ray, thank you for starting this thread. We are about three years from retirement & we have had many conversations about possibilities. One thing which always comes back around to doing -- just what Flying Gypsies is doing, a small piece of land with a pad/pole bldg. to cover the Airstream, a small bldg. for living space with many windows for a living room with a mud room in the rear for laundry, etc. Also, visiting guests could use this room for a bedroom & sleep on a Murphy bed or sleeper sofa, possibly another bathroom in there for the guests to use. Just thoughts.

DH doesn't want to sell our current home (which I'd love to down size), but I'm hoping to keep things small in our winter getaway.

I really enjoy reading what others are thinking about retirement and/or new lifestyles. Can't wait to read more.

Deb
Old 05-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Purchasing one or more acreage locations...

My wife and I discussed this idea, purchasing empty acreage, installing power, septic, with or without natural gas, water or wired phone service. It is a very appealing thought, until you begin to figure in infrastructure, if any.

Some counties, like Douglas County, Colorado has high real estate taxes on residential real estate that is not developed. I do not know if a slab with any structure qualifies to change the tax from unimproved residential to a residential property.

Finding a small acreage in the Western USA is tough, as someone would usually have to legally break up a larger property. Although the surveying is a minimal cost, it might be a 50 year "lease" with improvements. Each area can be so different in the west.

Finding anyone who will even take on a job to even pour a slab can be a problem due to the distance from a cement plant. Of course the cost to connect to power can be very expensive. Connecting to a current water line can cost you thousands of dollars. Not several but sometimes into $25,000 or more.

Septic requires a minimum amount of property, although the least of your financial concerns. State, county, city, town and unincorporated real estate have different requirements.

I am not a Real Estate Agent, but the "dream" and "nightmare" can come in a package deal with the Devil. There are many things you need to have on a Punch List to make certain that the property owner is telling you the whole story. Best that a Realtor help you in your search and tells you up front WHAT is REQUIRED with your idea. It is worth every cent!

So do dream. We did since 2006. We looked. We learned that dreaming and reality are not the same. Just be careful as there are caveats in small parcels in nowhere and meeting codes for connecting to existing public roads and crossing private or public property. It can become a financial disaster.

Maybe someone can give an example of their experience. Nice lots can cost as much as one with a 1500 square foot home with utilities.

Just be careful and study the area(s) you want to use part time. You could own everything that you did not know was part of the package and not seen.

The newspaper is full of 35 acre "ranchettes" when a large area is cut up into individual lots. Read the fine details before signing. A slab and trailer might be #1 on the NO, no, no list of possibilities.

Flying Gypsies might add some details of what was needed for his beautiful arrangement. A dream come true, but were there any unexpected consequences?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
My wife and I discussed this idea, purchasing empty acreage, installing power, septic, with or without natural gas, water or wired phone service.

Flying Gypsies might add some details of what was needed for his beautiful arrangement. A dream come true, but were there any unexpected consequences?

Another forum member PM'd me to ask what it cost to build it as he is considering something similar...here is my reply to him:

Thanks so much- we really enjoy it. It has been a long term project, beginning 5 years ago. We have had the land for a long time but 5 years ago came up with "the plan" to make a shelter for an RV, but FIRST, the clearing of the land where we wanted it to sit. Then we brought in a mobile mill to cut the trees into usable timbers for the construction- these were then stick-ed and air dried for 4 years before they were ready to use. Meanwhile, we put in the septic system and well, so we had our own one- camper campground for a while before we built the structure last June. My husband designed it and built it with the help of two carpenters. We saw one that another Airstreamer on the forum, Tom, had built and he was generous enough to give us some of his input on how he did his. Because we had a lot of our own lumber from the land, especially the larger timbers, it is hard to guesstimate exactly how much we have in it, but any contractor should be able to look at our picture and dimensions and be able to come up with a pretty reasonable material list. Our Airstream is a 31 classic- the middle structure is 14' wide by 34' long with 1' overhang on the roof to give us 36' shade coverage. Main roof has 3/4" plywood over rafters and then titanium paper over the plywood, and 29guage steel roof fastened through- it is an 8/12 pitch because of snow. The sheds are 11' by 34'. There is no extra 1' overhang on the shed roofs. Perlins were fastened over the rafters and 29 gauge steel fastened to the perlins. Pitch on the sheds is approximately 3/12. All posts were 6" x 6". The height of the ringbeam is sufficient to allow us to put the antenna up with clearance. The only nails used on the whole project were those used to attach the titanium paper to the plywood- all other fasteners were bolts, steel brackets and screws .I hope that you have as easy a time with the permitting office as we did- my husband didn't have any plans on paper- it was all in his head and he showed them a picture of Tom's structure and said ours would look something like that- they were as impressed with it as we were -the lady at the permitting office said "WOW- That's nice!!" and handed him the permit😄 Gotta love that kind of customer service! Good luck and let us know how the project goes.

As far as problems, it has been quite easy with the permitting process here in the mountains of NC -this is NOT true everywhere. In the process now of making a laundry room/ storage shed by closing in part of the carport side.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks Ray and Flying Gypsies for sharing both your thoughts and facts. We have been thinking of this off and on for some time; we've even contacted Real Estate agents in the various areas which we think we might like to be.

My DH and I both have been on the Zoning Committee here in our Township, so we are aware of various rules and the fact that those rules differ from Township-to-Township, not to mention State-to-State. We do a lot of research and planning before doing most things, however, even having said that, sometimes something sneaks by you which you hadn't any idea of, so it's always nice to discuss with as many like-minded individuals as possible to get other thoughts. We are really thinking about northern Florida for a Winter place.

Flying Gypsies, I may have missed something, but the two pictures seem to be of different locations, is that right?

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Deb
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Flying Gypsies, I may have missed something, but the two pictures seem to be of different locations, is that right?

Deb

Correct- NC mountain home and Florida home. Good to have cover when bad weather moves in.
Good luck with your hunting and keep us posted on what you find!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Home Hunt is ROUGH IN at best.

Had to do a walk through the rough in of our eventual retirement home. Made some corrections to misplaced outlets and some light fixtures built into the ceiling. Just the normal misreading of a Blue Print and the "this is where we thought you would want it..." situations.

Water lines. Telephone. Cable. Air Conditioning and Heating ductwork. Natural Gas. Checking the grade of the driveway for backing our trailer into its seasonal home. Plenty of thought has gone into this project!

Windows now being installed. Roofers trying to keep on the contractor's schedule.

Sheet rock stacked and waiting for the tile roofing to be stacked and put some weight onto the structure. It should tighten up the lumber quickly.

Now the clock is ticking for an early August finish date for closing. The transition from current, to seasonal, to down sizing will take a bit of time. Sometimes a change seems appealing but you must blend the old and new routines.

At present this is a "workamp" in progress. Do I run my geology book business from where it is today or move it immediately? Will a five or six month ON/OFF the world wide web be worth considering in the immediate future. Plenty of things to consider.

Considering we looked seriously at Flathead Lake in NW Montana for the longest time, but never could find that right place. Albuquerque, NM east of the Sandia Mountains but found that water was a possible problem in the future, where is was not at the Flathead Lake in Montana.

I am certain many others have to consider all of these barely obvious considerations. Taxes. Climate variables. Future growth of the area. Potential infrastructure problems in the future. Retirement community or a viable mix of young families and retired empty nesters. We took eight years, going on nine years to make these comparisons. Always a compromise in what you want and what you find that meets most of your special requirements. We did. Soon it will be reality and it was the accumulation of much debate and study between my wife and myself.

Our Airstream(s) provided the temporary housing while looking. It was a real adventure with an ultimate purpose. And yes, the day may come where our latest Airstream will no longer be part of the overall picture. As long as there are new places to explore and rocks to examine... this current Airstream will have more stories to tell and places to cross than most. The clock is ticking...
Old 06-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
During the summer of 2010 my wife and I talked about what life would be like when I retired in 2015. We liked SW Missouri, but weren't "married" to the property we owned. We looked a little bit at various communities as time permitted. One day one of us mentioned the idea of full-timing, and the other one had also thought about it. Long story short, we're now full-timers. Our property is scheduled to close in a couple of weeks.

One of our full-time goals is to find a place to settle down when the time comes for us to slow down. As we leave an area we talk about whether or not that area ought to be on the list of possibilities for later.

The idea of having a couple of places scattered around the country sounds good. I wonder, though, about how they will be cared for when you are somewhere else. Those Airstream-only parks sound interesting, and we may well settle on one of those. Escapees also has some parks that allow you to buy a lot, so we'll check those out, too.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote