Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

1978 31' Excella 500
1963 26' Overlander
Alabama , Alabama
High winds

Good morning!

We are in central Wyoming today with the high winds.
This was our first tow out west 4 weeks ago, all went fine. We are living out of the camper as we are helping a friend finish a house.
Question: where do I find info or does anyone have suggestions on tying down the camper or securing it? Is there a need with the wind gusts predicted at 60 mph?
Thanks much!
Terry
joynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have tie downs on a trailer in FL required by the campground. Uses a anchor screwed or drive into the ground, chains to the 2 rear bumper supports, and 2 chains around the a frame rails in the front. Pretty elaborate system for a short term setup. I would start at HD or Lowes looking for the tie down anchors. On our site the ground anchors were already installed in the ground and all I had to do was to chain up.

At 60 mph I do not think you will need it. I would chock it well and put the stablizers down tight. Awnings in and put up and secure all the loose things like lawn chairs and tables. Probably more danger of something blowing into it than of turning the trailer over.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I would think the design of the Airstream would prevent any wind problems. It's supposed to be pretty stable in cross winds. I've driven ours into 30 mph cross winds and had no issues. I'd just use the stabilizers and not worry about it. You can always point the TV into the wind :-)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

1978 31' Excella 500
1963 26' Overlander
Alabama , Alabama
Thanks much Bill for responding so quickly. I have meaning to research this knowing that the winds here can get pretty intense.
joynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I would simply aim the front of the trailer into the prevailing winds and hang on. You could also leave it hitched to the tow vehicle (also pointing into the prevailing wind.) If you really need to tie it down, then you should probably not be in the trailer in the first place!
Old 10-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
I'm NOT an experienced Airstreamer, but I am an experienced ocean boat captain. Hunker down with as much security as you can manage.

If the big one comes ANYTHING will help. The AS is pretty solid on the ground at the wheels but the weakness is the possibility of the front or back blowing around. Anything you can do to stop the AS swivelling will help. Ties/anchor rods driven into the ground, or ropes to a tree or a lighting column would help. Tie the AS to your truck, or even try hitching to the truck during the storm will help. The stabilizers need to be tight but actually won't help much if they just slide. Make sure you have as many secure 'anchors' as possible. Tie up to anything and everything. As a storm passes the wind force comes from many directions.

I'd suggest parking across the wind, rather than head to the wind. The tires will provide a lot of resistance sideways, and basically no resistance to rolling head on. Of course chock the wheels - chocks, firewood, stones, bricks, anything.

Lastly - avoid trees if you can. They promise shelter but can be deadly.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote