Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
In addition to a genny, if your converter is one of the cheap single or two-stage units, get good 3-stage charger/converter from "Best Converter." There's no point in investing in batteries and continuing with the poor charging.

Also, if you're going to be boondocking a lot, there's no substitute for a good battery monitor, one that puts a shunt in the batteries negative leads, and not only displays volts and amps, but integrates the latter over time to track amp-hours, both in and out.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
I bought my AS new a year and half ago without any prior RV experience. And it has been a overwhelming leaning experience for me.

I didn't know much about various systems (plumbing, electrical, energy usage, etc.), or even the difference between AC and DC.

I even asked the salesman STUPIDLY how long I can operate the air-conditioner on the battery power, or if I should opt for extra solar panels so I can run air-conditioner while I boondock...

Anyway, I just wanted to say this forum has been great source of information for me.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
hi flmgrip.. like deja vu reading your post..

after two trips to the jackson center, it was decided the OEM batteries were shot, and the charger doesn't help any.. the SRM-27's must have gotten cooked at the dealer (ours was on display in showroom, plugged in 24/7 for several months)

installed a trimetric battery monitor, very handy for marshaling battery resources... and watching out for any phantom loads... next upgrade is a 3-stage converter/charger...

the EF2400 is a great generator IF you want to run the bigger appliances... the small 1000W HONDA/YAMAHA models are much more portable... and USCARB has a nice little tri-fuel conversion kit
Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
i've been looking at the 3000 geny size too... is that overkill (don't plan to run much AC...) ?

fuel efficiency and quiet is important, also would be great to convert it to propane for cleaner burning (and convinience)
Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
the 3000 is a pretty good size/weight... I went with the 2400 because there were many here who said it would run the 13.5k BTU A/C (and it does, on LP)

the 2400 is heavy enough for me to store over the trailer axles while in transit.. that's only because we've limited room in the suburban with 7 passengers, and with the slide, my tongue weight is well into 1300lbs.. I try not to load anything substantial in the hatch

if weight, portability, and to a lesser degree decibels, isn't an issue- more is better, IMO
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post

if weight, portability, and to a lesser degree decibels, isn't an issue- more is better, IMO
i figure a bigger geny at 1/4 load is quieter than a smaller geny at 3/4 or full load...

the close to 150lbs for the 3k is a turn off tho, since i would transport it in my bed and somehow have to figure out how to get it out without breaking my back...
Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
i figure a bigger geny at 1/4 load is quieter than a smaller geny at 3/4 or full load...

the close to 150lbs for the 3k is a turn off tho, since i would transport it in my bed and somehow have to figure out how to get it out without breaking my back...
You might be a candidate for two 2k gensets: run a single one for light loads, and two in tandem for heavy loads.

I run a 8k btu window ac, which is small enough to run on a single 2k honda generator with a little power to spare, but yours would need a 2400 or better, a 2800. if running a single generator and your air conditioner.

Rich the Viking
Old 01-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Pasadena , California
i think i'm gonna spring for the Yamaha EF2400iS tri fuel from us carburation... i'm barley ever gonna run the AC, i like the propane (i don't use gas in any of my vehicles so storage is always iffy...)

anyone want to hold me back ? i know us carburation has mixed reviews and are a tad expensive, but their product seems to work...

extended warranty recommended fro $122.-/3 years ?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Swoope , Virginia
interstate megatron

but the solution of those links is to buy new batteries... Which I somewhat refuse considering the age of the trailer...

You should check to see if the purchase date is punched out of the label of your batteries. I believe megatrons have an 18 month free replacement before the prorate begins. I think this info might also be on the label or you can ask any Interstate dealer. The hardest part will be convincing the dealer that your batteries need to be replaced.

Mike
Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Pasadena , California
quick update to that part... (this is somewhat blending in with the other thread i started about my overall dissapointment with AS) i dropped off my trailer today at a different shop.

while i was there someone else pulled up to drop their trailer, i went straight to them and did ask them about this shop... this guy said "this is one of the best on the west coast"... granted this was a random guy but made me feel better, since the shop itself wasn't in the best hood...

i pointed out all the problems (incl. the battery) to the shop, owner was nice, it'll be ready monday unless i receive a call...

(in regards to the batteries i am at the point that i just want it to be working... if that means i have to pay for new bat's... so be it)

will report back...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #53
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Flmgrip

Look in to the Handi 3000. It's a new gen from Honda, came out this summer, weights 78 lbs and has wheels and handle like a piece of luggage. I bought one in Sept and I've been very happy with it. They have a Calif complient version. You'll be able to run your AC anytime.

Lyle
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Gen Power

I use the Honda 3000. It is heavy so I have it locked in the back end of my truck bed. I never have to move it. To operate I just fold back one section of the topper. In eco mode (lower RPMs) It will run my air and is very, very quite......Tim
Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Will this Handi 3000 run the AC when it kicks on and off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylevg View Post
Flmgrip

Look in to the Handi 3000. It's a new gen from Honda, came out this summer, weights 78 lbs and has wheels and handle like a piece of luggage. I bought one in Sept and I've been very happy with it. They have a Calif complient version. You'll be able to run your AC anytime.

Lyle
I have a Honda 2000 and want to upgrade to the new comp. to run tandem.
However I looked at the Handi 3000 and was not sure it could handle the on/off effectively...
It seems like it would be a good choice weight wise but what about the noise live compared to the Honda 3000???

Any thoughts would be appreciated I am on the fence new Honda 2000 Comp. or the big 3000 then I will need a ramp etc...

Thanks in advance.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #56
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
I am guessing by your sig "flmgrip" that you could check with someone in the electrical department about the watts amps and volts stuff. Did I guess correctly? I am a retired and recovering DP

All the posts here are very helpful. New batteries cant hurt. We have a Catalytic heater as well as the furnace, but if will not keep the tanks from freezing as wahoonc said.