Old 12-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Have you checked the water level in the batteries recently? If not, you need to.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Yes Lumatic, there are other heat sources. A 3 dog night can make for a night with little sleep. It makes one long for a larger bed.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
thank you!

I think my solar panel is 110w... So with all the math beeing done something is not right with my batteries...

My system has been off for at least a week and I stopped by during daylight hours (solar charging), as soon as I turned on the lights the voltage dropped from maybe 13 to 12.2 ...

And I had the AS out recently and was plugged into shore, once unplugged it seemed the voltage dropped...

Did I ruin my batteries by 'deep discharging' ? Or do the stock batteries just suck and I should get some better replacements? What would u recommend ?

Thanks!
I would find out:
  1. Number of batteries
  2. Size of batteries
  3. Age of batteries
  4. Type of batteries

Also if you have a multiple battery system, a bad battery can pull down a good battery. FWIW I would consider replacing all of them if they are the same age and one is bad. This primarily applies to batteries with some age on them.

Then go from there. There are several different schools of thought on RV batteries. My preference is the Optima Blue top.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
I will check water level tomorrow and anwser the other questions too !
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Pasadena , California
It's two megatron marine deep cycle, STM-24 550 cca 690, I don't know the age, but I purchased the trailer new about 5 months ago...

I checked the fluids, what is considered the right level?

Topped off or a little below that?

I hole was way low on water, all others seemed fine.

What's the best way to fill the battery and with what ?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
fill each of the holes to the top with distilled water only. can be bought at most supermarkets and drug stores. careful not to overfill. that water coming out of the battery is nasty. it will burn anything it comes in contact with. something to do with sulfuric acid.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
When we got Cloudsplitter the batteries were the first item that took a dump.
Sat for almost a year on the dealer lot, run low too many times, just wouldn't take/hold a charge.
Have them load tested, and replace if needed. Interstate pro-rated ours.

Cover the plates but don't overfill, just up to the collar.

Our Interstate replacements would last several nights when we were below the heat pump temps. 20-40f. The agm replacements have gone four nights, but haven't really been tested much under 40f.

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post

What's the best way to fill the battery and with what ?

Thanks!
I use an old dish detergent squeeze bottle (rinsed, of course) filled with distilled water. Itís easy to control the amount of H2O, and the price is certainly right.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Pasadena , California
thanks! i'll do that and we shall see if i see improvement...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I use an old dish detergent squeeze bottle (rinsed, of course) filled with distilled water. Itís easy to control the amount of H2O, and the price is certainly right.
a bit more costly but a turkey baster works really well. don't look into the holes while filling to avoid splashing acid into your eyes.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
OK, battery water filling, 101....

1. Always use distilled water - as noted, cheap from your supermarket - same stuff you use in your steam iron and cigar humidor - right?

2. Hang your safety glasses on your nose before venturing near your rig's batteries...

3. Carefully remove the vent cap covers from the top of the battery - some are individual, and some incorporate three cells in one cap...don't fling the caps around as you may get some of the fluid onto your clothes and think you have moths next time you run them through the wash...

4. With your new LED flashlight, looking down into a vent hole, you can see a 'tube' that's formed as part of the top battery cover - it extends about 3/4 inches down into the battery, with vertical slots, in most cases...

5. Add distilled water till the level 'just' reaches the bottom of the 'tube' noted in 4. above (sometimes call the 'ring', as in fill to the 'ring')- over filling up into the 'tube' or to the top will cause the fluid to be expelled through the vent caps the next time you charge your battery and can then begin to corrode any metal parts nearby; hold downs, terminal bolts, cables, etc - YUK!

6. If your battery is discharged - only add enough water to cover the top of the plates about 1/4 inch - as the battery becomes charged, the fluid will expand - you can then fill to the proper level when charging is complete - filling to the 'ring' of a discharged battery will result in a portion the expanding fluid to be expelled from the battery...YUK, again

7. Make sure the vent caps are secured onto the battery cover when filling is completed - This a good time to check the cables for any signs of corrosion, tightness, etc...

Battery electrolyte is a weak form of Sulfuric Acid, and while it should be flushed away with clean water to avoid irritation or damage to nearby body parts, it's not as bad as portrayed in the movies - I've actually had it splashed in my eyes several times over the years, and as long as it's immediately flushed with clear water, there's no damage...anyone know what I did with my white cane?...

NOTE: If you have only one cell that needs filling, it may be a cell that has or is beginning to fail internally - two adjoining plates lightly touching, or a build up of plate material in the bottom of the case, of that cell - a failing or 'shorted' cell will boil profusely when charged and evaporate the fluid quicker that the other cells...

If you find you have to add water frequently, your charging rate (voltage) is to high from your charging source, or you have older batteries that have reduced capacity due to sulfating condition, and replacement should be noted on your 'To Do' list...

Ray the battery guy...
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
OK, battery water filling, 101....

1. Always use distilled water - as noted, cheap from your supermarket - same stuff you use in your steam iron and cigar humidor - right?

2. Hang your safety glasses on your nose before venturing near your rig's batteries...

3. Carefully remove the vent cap covers from the top of the battery - some are individual, and some incorporate three cells in one cap...don't fling the caps around as you may get some of the fluid onto your clothes and think you have moths next time you run them through the wash...

4. With your new LED flashlight, looking down into a vent hole, you can see a 'tube' that's formed as part of the top battery cover - it extends about 3/4 inches down into the battery, with vertical slots, in most cases...

5. Add distilled water till the level 'just' reaches the bottom of the 'tube' noted in 4. above (sometimes call the 'ring', as in fill to the 'ring')- over filling up into the 'tube' or to the top will cause the fluid to be expelled through the vent caps the next time you charge your battery and can then begin to corrode any metal parts nearby; hold downs, terminal bolts, cables, etc - YUK!

6. If your battery is discharged - only add enough water to cover the top of the plates about 1/4 inch - as the battery becomes charged, the fluid will expand - you can then fill to the proper level when charging is complete - filling to the 'ring' of a discharged battery will result in a portion the expanding fluid to be expelled from the battery...YUK, again

7. Make sure the vent caps are secured onto the battery cover when filling is completed - This a good time to check the cables for any signs of corrosion, tightness, etc...

Battery electrolyte is a weak form of Sulfuric Acid, and while it should be flushed away with clean water to avoid irritation or damage to nearby body parts, it's not as bad as portrayed in the movies - I've actually had it splashed in my eyes several times over the years, and as long as it's immediately flushed with clear water, there's no damage...anyone know what I did with my white cane?...

NOTE: If you have only one cell that needs filling, it may be a cell that has or is beginning to fail internally - two adjoining plates lightly touching, or a build up of plate material in the bottom of the case, of that cell - a failing or 'shorted' cell will boil profusely when charged and evaporate the fluid quicker that the other cells...

If you find you have to add water frequently, your charging rate (voltage) is to high from your charging source, or you have older batteries that have reduced capacity due to sulfating condition, and replacement should be noted on your 'To Do' list...

Ray the battery guy...
Nicely put, Ray. Covers just about everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
a bit more costly but a turkey baster works really well. don't look into the holes while filling to avoid splashing acid into your eyes.
Also true. However, not only are the detergent bottles free, assuming that you wash dishes sometime , you can keep them full by closing the top.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
dishes? i thought we were supposed to use paper plates? lol

with as many things you can buy, there just might be a market for reclosable distilled water bottles! i guess i can fill a regular sports bottle with distilled water :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Don't know anything about solar chargers, but batteries and warmth - I'm there! We use 2 golf cart batteries on our trailer, and have run the furnace and everything else (lights, anyway) off of them continuously in 40 degree weather for 4 days with juice still in the batteries at the end. You might want to consider changing out your battery for more of them. I highly recommend golf cart batteries - keep me warm!

Kay