Old 02-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #29
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Nah, I was touching on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
no matter how minimalist your airstream life is, it's way easier to have a good full-time experience if it is your second home. having that other home base place to keep the books, rocks, and toys makes being without them a bit easier. I'd love to full time again, but I'd at least have to have a small home base . when my parents sold their house and went full timing years ago in a 30+ ft holiday rambler, my dad had to buy a another small tt to go camping in! ��I totally get that now!
I already understood your POV Ray.

The only property I want to worry about in my 30's are rentals. Not a liability somewhere not being used to earn me money.

We certainly were those people. We realized it a few years ago, when we were traveling and we felt more at home, and more happy in our SUV on the road with our dog (before kids) than we ever felt back in Florida in the 2200 sq ft home.

One day when the kids are hitting their first decade of life I think I want to get a farmlete or small ranch in the Northwest. We like the idea of having a home base and then half-timing for winter. Then we could acquire so more toys and hobbies again.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Maybe BoldAdventure and FreshAirStmr were referring to myself. Which is fair game.
Not you, Ray. As Bold says, responding to eggman.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:01 AM   #31
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
...it's way easier to have a good full-time experience if it is your second home. having that other home base place to keep the books, rocks, and toys makes being without them a bit easier. !

In the late 'sixties as a young single man (with a dog) I lived in my camper full time for a few years. I didn't know I was a fabled "full-timer" -- I was a hippie. I hadn't yet filled a storage garage with stuff or built a house to fill with much more stuff. Back then, I was sometimes flat broke, and usually near broke. I lived on money advanced by a book publisher, for whom I did "field work" (camping) and wrote chapters for a guidebook. As romantic and "work camp" as that life might sound, retired with, uh... resources and a vintage riveted aluminum airframe trailer is right for me now.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping with the Indians.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	258009  
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a pretty cool story, Michael.

Tho having never full timed, as retirees we traveled for 4+ months at a time.

Not wealthy, but financially secure, there never was a choice for us between a repair or food, prescriptions, insurance, a campsite, etc., and this was a place we got to in our lives by having worked hard and saved our money.

We ran across many people who full timed because they had to do one or the other, and some of these people lived so close to the edge of financial disaster that survival imposed tremendous stress on their daily lives.

If you don't have the financial resources to back you, it isn't for you just yet.

My 2 cents.

Maggie
Old 03-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calgary , Alberta
Thank you everyone who responded to my question. Lots of great info.
We are trying to not get to excited about full timing yet as the AS is still in the teardown overhaul stage.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Here's a couple of full timer blogs I follow when I dream about full timing:
http://whereiskylenow.com
http://www.weaselmouth.com

Not sure my wife will ever go for it but I like to dream about full timing anyway. - Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We're full-timing in a 40' MH with a Jeep towed. We sold the house and most of our stuff a couple of years ago. Some things are "stored" with our children, and some we have with us. More of what we have with us will be either disposed of or "stored" the next time we're with the kids.

We're seriously talking about switching from our current coach to a 34' Airstream and pickup. We've learned a lot this past year or so and have a better idea of what we really need and don't need.

Yes, as soon as you get rid of something you haven't used in years you will need it. That's why there are so many Walmarts and Lowes stores around. <grin>
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Not close to retirement yet, and not of the means of employment to live away from the office.

But we previously did own a small but nice vacation home in Colorado. We did toy with the idea of moving there lock stock and barrel once we didn't work or if work situations changed /evolved to make remote commuting feasible.

But for us, we discovered, on an emotional level, that we grew to feel quite deeply that while we did like the idea of extended time in relaxing vacation settings, that we had too strong a root at home of friends and community attachments that we felt were precious and not to be squandered by our selfish need for relaxation. In the end, we felt like we needed that Home Base to provide the contrast that being gone was a vacation.

I hope to be able to travel when retired for weeks at a time. And we have somewhat recently moved to a home that provides exterior maintenance so that the yard and leaves and snow removal are done automatically, whether we are home or away. But we need that home base.

(also I may add that we intentionally severely decluttered when we moved, and intentionally bought a more casual style of house as well. No fuss, easy living.!)

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
We're full-timing in a 40' MH with a Jeep towed. We sold the house and most of our stuff a couple of years ago. Some things are "stored" with our children, and some we have with us. More of what we have with us will be either disposed of or "stored" the next time we're with the kids.

We're seriously talking about switching from our current coach to a 34' Airstream and pickup. We've learned a lot this past year or so and have a better idea of what we really need and don't need.

Yes, as soon as you get rid of something you haven't used in years you will need it. That's why there are so many Walmarts and Lowes stores around. <grin>
If your MH is not falling apart, then try to keep both your future AS 34' & MH 40'.
For now, I still own both; AS 30' & motor coach 40'. I full time between both during the year.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"If your MH is not falling apart, then try to keep both your future AS 34' & MH 40'." Huh? So Jo Ann drives the truck pulling the Airstream and I drive the MH, then we try to get campsites next to each other? Somehow I don't think that she would go for that, even if we could afford it. We're full-timers with no home base, so one coach at a time.

When/if we decide to switch from this coach to another we'll advertise the Foretravel, and, when it sells, we'll move into an extended-stay hotel for a bit. We'll then trade the Jeep for a truck, and then go buy the coach. Of course, if someone wanted to trade a 34' Airstream even-up for our Foretravel, that would speed things along considerably. <grin> Somehow I don't see that happening, though.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
I know, it sounds silly to fulltime in a Motor Coach 38' and an AS 30'. But, these are the things, I have in my life for now. So, I found out over the past year; places I would pass up with the Motor Coach 38'; my AS 30' would fit just fine.
The only changes were my toad to a toad/TV.
When, I bought the AS 30', I decides to also rent a heated RV storage too.
The storage serves as a secure storage as well as a place where I can work on either the Motor Coach or the AS.
For my fulltime lifestyle, this combination seems to be working out.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Willow street , Pennsylvania
Airstream fulltiming

Be careful what you wish for. After full timing for one year in our 28 ft AS pulled by a 2015 GMC Sierra pickup with cap and bed slide, on Monday traded them for a 40 ft motorhome. Heaven! Storage space, room to move around, counter space, roomy bathroom and shower. Costs will be higher, but just having a recliner is worth it. Also, moving the contents was no fun and you are contemplating moving your stuff TWICE. No thanks. My opinion - stick with the motorhome or prepare for buyer remorse.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #41
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We are in our first year living full time in our 31' Classic. We have customized it to make it our home and have no regrets about getting rid of the inherited stuff and selling the house. In fact, we are still getting rid of stuff.

In this first year, husband has gone to school to get a certification as an RV technician, we work camped for six months at an RV park in Florida, played in Florida state parks, boondocked with RV Dreams in Tallahassee, and are presently in SC with Maggie Hayes and others awaiting the beginning of Alumalina. From here, we will be making our way to Yellowstone, where we have above minimum wage, seasonal jobs awaiting us. We have made new friends and then said goodbye as they roll their way and we roll ours.

This life is not for everyone, but we find it quite comfortable. We sometimes think we should have gone smaller and may in the future.

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
We are now 9 weeks into full-timing in our new Classic. We are still (and will be for months) deciding what we need and don't need, but we have no doubt that the Classic has enough (and maybe more than enough) storage and living space for us. It's also extremely comfortable to live in, which is key for us as full-timers.

I was sweating our Escapees SmartWeigh appointment last week, certain that we were carrying too much in our truck and in our trailer. But happily we found we are well under the maximum weights in all categories, which is great news especially considering we already know of several items we want to get rid of. We'll also be adding bikes soon.

Since being on the road, we've toured the rigs of friends we've met along the way -- all Class As and Fifth Wheels. Our private reaction to all the storage and living space they have is not envy, but relief -- relief that our lives aren't complicated by the cleaning, care and maintenance of those bigger rigs along with all the extra stuff one can bring along. No judgment -- just different approaches to the roaming life.

Joanne