Old 02-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
no matter how minimalist your airstream life is, it's way easier to have a good full-time experience if it is your second home. having that other home base place to keep the books, rocks, and toys makes being without them a bit easier. I'd love to full time again, but I'd at least have to have a small home base . when my parents sold their house and went full timing years ago in a 30+ ft holiday rambler, my dad had to buy a another small tt to go camping in! 😀I totally get that now!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Full Timing in the Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I am Full Timing with our Airstream parked in our RV garage attached to our home...

Does the sun during the day in International Falls, MN keep you warm standing outside?
Ray, I am from Minnesota. NOTHING keeps you warm during the day in a Minnesota winter in International Falls! Maybe that is why on the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon they dubbed it "Frostbite Falls".

This was an interesting post. How do you exhaust your heater and water heater fumes from the garage?

Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
NFS Camp Host: Seasonal Full Timing

A perfect opportunity for those who have the will to Full Time, but are not sure they will find the experience what they expected.

Many National Forest more popular Off the Grid campsites keep some oversight with a... Camp Host. The National Forest Service will provide propane at those elevations that are cool over night and for cooking. Water. ... and possibly other accommodations to keep the camp sites clean, paid by those camping and able to contact Forest Service officials when needed. It may be necessary to be competent with a side arm as you are not the top of the Food Chain in some areas.

Of course, you must be handy to do minor repairs to water pumps, loose bolts on gates and basic handy man/woman upkeep. If you are all thumbs at home and fearful of things that go "bump in the night"... you may want to try Camp Hosting within the National Park Service with more facilities and more people issues. Are you a Geologist, Astronomer, Historian, Artist, Bird watcher, Plant, Fish, Wildlife... this could be a win / win for everyone.

This is not for the timid personality. You could be 5'4" but have the courage of a Grizzly Bear... you will be fine.

Many Park Service facilities can be... Spartan for Hosts and Park employees. But this is a choice.

State Parks offer similar opportunities.

Before accepting a Camp Host position... negotiate with the official in charge. Propane. Gasoline for generator. Water... They have a limited budget, but you are an ASSET and if you do not ask, you will not receive additional assistance that may be available.

This year I will speak with some Camp Hosts we meet on our Adventures. Many are at the same location every year. Sometimes they move from site to site. There always seems to be an opportunity for someone that will spend four to six months at some of the most beautiful National Forest Service locations bordering Wilderness Areas.

I would suggest that anyone interested might begin to contact the National Forest Service offices in areas you have an interest to "make it work". You can inquire as to what the NFS will provide and if any expenses are covered. Be prepared with a "resume of skills"... that may fit the sites of interest.

I understand that this is just my observation of finding Camp Hosts where I least expect them. No Camp Host has ever complained to me about the NFS not taking care of any situation from individuals coming out to camp. Next to their trailer would be a very tall Propane tank... Obviously you would need to be prepared with a generator to live comfortably and Solar would be a big assistance. The NFS may even provide gasoline for your generator.

This camping season I will open a Thread concerning... National Forest Service Camp Hosts.

I am sure once you are in the System and dependable... your "wish list" would be circulated among Forest Service offices!
Old 02-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I follow a blog
http://www.interstellarorchard.com

This young lady lives full time in a Casita travel trailer. She workcamps at Amazon during the Christmas season and then gets summer jobs at National Parks or private companies.

She is single, no kids and a minimalist. She loves the lifestyle and seems to be a financially responsible person. She does have family to fall back upon if something really terrible happened and had to leave the lifestyle.

Kelvin
Old 02-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
Ray, I am from Minnesota. NOTHING keeps you warm during the day in a Minnesota winter in International Falls! Maybe that is why on the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon they dubbed it "Frostbite Falls".
This was an interesting post. How do you exhaust your heater and water heater fumes from the garage?
Our RV Garage is heated during the winter months and vents through the roof. Windows provide free lighting from the Sun during the daylight hours. We have indoor plumbing and running hot and cold water. Our well water is better than Beer. Our RV garage is our Base Camp and living in the house is only a temporary setback from the comforts of our Airstream.

This also applies to southern Nevada, although we are prone to Buffets and entertainment options that are not available in Jeffery City, Wyoming and beyond.

Since we are roughing it, living in the house, the Airstream is in the event we have an emergency for safety and comfort. These emergencies happen frequently in the warm months and become more frequent as we seek the comforts of our Airstream. ... and now that you mention it.

We leave for Castle Rock, CO next week and hope that we can readjust to living in our fixed home just long enough to outfit the Airstream for a wonderful series of Adventures and meeting more wonderful Airforum members.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Gosh, I love this thread, Quotes from Chesterton, People with kids, folks who love rocks and have spent time in Wyoming!
Full timers all. All with pieces of the truth, I should be following this thread more often.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
My dream... is to spend 6 months a year living out of only what I can carry on my back, hiking long distance trails. Considering that we already live very minimalist (no couch, no bed, no dresser, no end tables, just two kitchen chairs and a kitchen table) I really think we'll be good moving into the Airstream once it's finished in 3 years. People will say, how can you live in something so small with so little space, but once you live out of 12 pounds of stuff on your back for some time, an Airstream seems humongous.

Clothing, yes, I'll probably downsize, right now it all fits in one suitcase, but I'll be able to drop two pairs of work shoes, and 6 tops and 3 pairs of pants. I'll bring my one book (cookbook) and just keep my phone for reading on like I do now. We'll keep our backpacking gear, but ditch the table and chairs (we'll be putting a dinette in the Airstream anyway, and also might include chairs for outside)

The stuff in our garage that we can't fit, will be our lawnmower, which we won't need anyway, and a freezer, which we can sell both of. The golf clubs will come with us, and live in the back of the TV. (that's the extent of our toys). Our current renting of 1200$ a month we can drop and I'm sure we can live somewhere for less in the Airstream, especially if we figure out how to generate some of our own electricity from the sun, the initial cost of installation seems like it should pay for itself.

The camp host thing, is actually up our sleeve for once we don't feel like hiking 2000 miles at a time anymore, we can set up somewhere near where we love, and show others where our fave trails are, and still spend a good portion of the day out on the trail. If we feel like taking another long hike, we'll put our trailer in storage somewhere at the trail end, fly to the beginning and walk our way back to it, and stay in it, just in the winters. It'll be a much more luxurious base camp than the tarp we call home many weeks of the year now hiking.

Try to stay warm in a tarp tent in May when there's fog so thick is soaks your sleeping bags and all your clothing, and you'll dream of having a silver skin between you and the sky, particularly if it has a furnace inside. Also, if procuring water seems to be a question, when you're used to filtering from puddles, the idea of filling a berkey from a stream sounds like heaven too.

Only thing I wonder is where to put my dehydrator, and how to power it, the rest should fit in fine.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #22
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
PS: Strongly disagree you can only enjoy/do this if it's not your house. No need for a second home. Problems I don't have. I don't develop sentimental attachments to objects. So downsizing was easy for us. I know that's not everyone, but I've posted pictures of the bed of my truck before. We just don't have nor feel the desire to own a ton of stuff.

Everyone's different. Try not to paint with too wide a brush.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calgary , Alberta
Hello all fulltimers
My wife and I are 2.5 yrs away from doing this. We are stoked and scared all at the same time. We plan to sell the house as we are going to move for retirement anyway. Then we will full time for a couple of years until we find a new location to put down roots. What we don't know is the cost of living full time on the road. RV resorts, gas, saving for maintenance, etc.
If some one can give a little info it would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKs View Post
Hello all fulltimers
My wife and I are 2.5 yrs away from doing this. We are stoked and scared all at the same time. We plan to sell the house as we are going to move for retirement anyway. Then we will full time for a couple of years until we find a new location to put down roots. What we don't know is the cost of living full time on the road. RV resorts, gas, saving for maintenance, etc.
Thanks

On a Thread of mine a Full Timer with a 34 foot Airstream, a wife and three children were successfully making it work. The handle escapes me at the moment, but it had the element #13 (Aluminum). If you can find him, PM him. I have confidence that of anyone having experience, he would. If I encounter it again, I will post it onto this Thread.

Found him!

AtomicNo13: Airstream Regaining a Reputation Long Lost- Post #51- Airstream Lifestyle.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
PS: Strongly disagree you can only enjoy/do this if it's not your house. No need for a second home. Problems I don't have. I don't develop sentimental attachments to objects. So downsizing was easy for us. I know that's not everyone, but I've posted pictures of the bed of my truck before. We just don't have nor feel the desire to own a ton of stuff.

Everyone's different. Try not to paint with too wide a brush.
I agree completely. And can you really be free if you still have a house to worry about? I think it's easier to full-time without a house. No worries about anything going wrong back home, no maintenance, repairs, bills, insurance, or property taxes. No concerns about renters trashing your place or, if they leave, getting it rented again. The list goes on.

For me too, I didn't want the siren call of a house for those times when life on the road is hard, especially in this first adjustment year. This is our life now. One day we'll have a permanent home again, but it will be a place that will fit our lives as it will be some years into the future. And it will be in a new location of our choosing, after seeing what the rest of the country has to offer.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Hello all fulltimers
Thanks
If you click on the Forums link toward the top of your page, then on Fulltiming, Winter Living, you will find some threads there that will help you with these very questions.

Maggie
Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Hello all fulltimers
What we don't know is the cost of living full time on the road. RV resorts, gas, saving for maintenance, etc.
Thanks
There's a huge range of what people spend as full-timers. I'd bet that BoldAdventure spends a whole lot less than we do with his family of four because he boondocks almost exclusively and he's a big do-it-yourselfer.

For example, if you stay at RV resorts all the time, your expenses will be on the higher side. Other big factors are how much you eat out or if you move around quickly (higher fuel costs). When coming up with your own budget, don't forget income taxes, health insurance, and other insurances.

Here are some full-timer bloggers who share their budget/expense information:

http://www.technomadia.com/the-finan...-to-afford-it/

http://zeetraveler.blogspot.com/#uds-search-results (he also sells an ebook)

http://www.rv-dreams.com/financial-information.html

Also, don't underestimate what it will cost to initially hit the road. Buying your rig is one thing -- outfitting it is another, and may cost more than you think.

Joanne
Old 02-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
There's No Place Like Home...

Maybe BoldAdventure and FreshAirStmr were referring to myself. Which is fair game.

I have no personal interest to live in our Airstream Full Time. The majority of those who chose the option of living full time in their Airstream have made a tough decision that fits THEIR ability to adapt a lifestyle that takes... special independent people. I have the experience to Full Time, but to Full Time in our Airstream is not part of our permanent lifestyle or among financial viable options.

Our financial resources are best served by having a Base Camp home, if not two. It does not make me less qualified to express an opinion concerning Full Timing. It is a lifestyle choice. For some Full Timers this is the opportunity of a lifetime to travel at will and shed the "shackles of home ownership". Insurance, utilities, taxes, repairs, upkeep and other responsibilities of home ownership. We can handle these and our mobile home, whenever we chose.

Every year my wife, myself and two Blue Heelers travel at will, anytime, anywhere. This year we are even sponsoring events at our expense to introduce others that want the experience. We are as comfortable at a Base Camp with our Airstream, as we are at home.

The greatest explorers of history... had a place to return as home. Maybe more. It does not diminish their contributions of exploring, one bit. As we travel and find places that represent the living qualities we seek and the situation merits consideration... why not another fixed home? In ten or twenty years... the Airstream will be unwieldy to tow and to live, yet we can then chose among options that presently exist. Or not chose.

These are Life Style Choices, not being "free" of chains or restraints keeping us coming back to a place we despise. We enjoy our Airstream when Base Camped. We enjoy our home. Our lives are much more embellished now that my wife lets me bring others into our Solo Adventures of decades.

SHARING our Boondocking experiences now... is our life style choice, today.

Others who can actually Full Time with no bonds of home are today's explorers and adventurers. The Wizard of Oz sums up my story... "There's no place like home". And this applies to all of us.

And home is where you find yourself when you awake each morning.