Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Full-Timer: Insurance

Thinking about full-timing. What type of insurance do I get? Does it matter if this is my primary residence and not for camping? Any particular company I should go with/avoid? Also, if I go off for all the money to restore it, what is to keep someone from just hooking up to it and hauling it off? How do you secure it from being stolen? ('72 Soverign). Thanks!
SoverignGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Lots of questions here.

Yes, it does make a difference if this is a weekend/vacation camper or your full-time residence. There are several insurance companies/agencies that specialize in coverage for full-timers. None of them are 100% great or 100% awful. Talk to several and make your own decision.

One question that you will need to ask about is value of your coach. A standard policy basically says that they will pay you book value if they declare your coach totaled. They will take that book value from NADA or similar company. Look up your coach on NADA and you will see that it isn't worth much. How much it cost you doesn't matter at all.

For an increased premium, you can get a policy that will pay you what the coach is actually worth. You will need to present an official appraisal periodically, and that appraised value will be what is used to set your premiums. I'd suggest that you discuss this point with each agency/company you interview.

If a thief wants your coach badly enough, there isn't much you can do to stop him. I recently watch a video of someone backing up to a trailer that had a locking device on the hitch. The "thief" (this was a demo, not a real crime) simply backed up to the target trailer, hooked chains around the tongue and attached them to a hook on the truck. He even hooked up the lights. Total time was about a minute.

Best deterrent is to park where everyone can see the trailer (well lighted, public, guarded, etc.). If the trailer is to be left for a long time some people take off the wheels, leaving it up on jack stands. There are several threads here about this subject, so read those and draw your own conclusions.

It sounds like you are going to do a major restoration. I'd suggest that you have a building that you can lock. Put a fenced dog run on it with a "doggy door" for a large dog with a loud bark. That won't stop all thieves but it may deter a few. Best breed is one that is large, slobbers, and sheds.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Big dog! Lol!

Thanks for such great advice! It's funny you mention a big dog. I happen to have one who is very big (80lbs--but needs to weigh 75), big menacing bark, but bot so much on the drool. He does shed like crazy though. Thanks for the giggles, and the things to consider. :-)
Stefanie
SoverignGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Aiken , South Carolina
I have USAA and they use Progressive. The good thing about progressive is that they provide insurance for full time people. You may want to check with them and see what they can offer you.
luveurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
I use State Farm for my 73. After renovating they did an agreed value of 15,000 no questions asked with a very low deductible. No inspection etc.
GypsyKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Bought a Rhino Trailer Wheel boot..just like they ones they put on cars for traffic tickets. The color alone should scare someone to death (bright traffic cone orange)plus I doubt anyone would wanna bother to mess with it..havent even used it yet. You can also remove the fuse from the hitch which would slow down someone trying to pull a fast one..As far as insurance I use progressive as they gave me a "Replacement Value" option.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hi GypsyKarma what state is your home base? The reason I ask is that typical insurance companies won't write agreed value on trailers. And the ones that do typically require an appraisal from a certified appraiser.

I have seen those contracts written as stated value with no appraisal, but not agreed value, usually the language buried in the contract says they will " pay stated value or actual cash value - whichever is less".

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm in GA. They had no problems at all.
GypsyKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Well that's great.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
Hi GypsyKarma what state is your home base? The reason I ask is that typical insurance companies won't write agreed value on trailers. And the ones that do typically require an appraisal from a certified appraiser.

I have seen those contracts written as stated value with no appraisal, but not agreed value, usually the language buried in the contract says they will " pay stated value or actual cash value - whichever is less".

I agree, wife and I thought for the longest time the RV insurance was RV insurance until we were told that if we were to get in an accident, and they found out that we were living full-time in our airstream without another residence of some kind that the insurance company could drop us like a hot potato. Since that time, I've been on the hunt for "full-time insurance" and have found very few insurance companies. Good Sam uses progressive and they do provide coverage for a full-time situation without another permanent residence. They are, however not cheap. Just my 2 bits
Jeffndaile is offline   Reply With Quote