Old 06-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryelia View Post
Hi Cheryl

I was delighted to read your blog. My husband Tim and I are dreaming about driving our AS across the US next winter (we live in Toronto Canada) with California as our destination. It's a long way, I know, but we have 3 months or so at our disposal so are getting pretty excited planning it. I loved reading about campsites you've visited and wondered what facilities and climate are like in February in California. I'm sure it's quite comfortable the further south one is but we would love to take in the SF Bay area too. Maybe starting in the south and moving north is the logical way to go. We also wonder about towing our rig on 101 and wonder what other people's experiences are of this road.

Regards,
Mary

Hi Mary,

We live near you in Burlington Ontario and regularly pull our AS to Florida, Arizona, or California each winter and have done so for the last 15 years.

We visited California a few times, and once made the trip from Burlington to
San Diego in 3.5 days.

To do that, we had to stop each night at Flying J truck stops so we could stop later in the evening and not have to bother checking into campgrounds, unhooking the trailer etc. Each morning we were on the road again before 7 am.

I think that averaged to about 750 miles a day over the trip, and these days I have awakened to the fact that I am retired and slowed down!

We still do about that mileage on the first day leaving Ontario to get to warmer weather s.a.p., but after that, maybe 300-400 miles a day is what I aim for to reach a destination.

We really enjoyed San Diego and San Francisco, and I'm sure you will too. I skirted around Loa Angeles as I was a bit concerned about monster traffic jams!

You should have no trouble with the trailer on the coastal highway in California and it is something not to be missed!

On the East coast, our favourite cities to spend time are Savannah and Charleston and we have visited both several times.

Have a great trip! ............ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryelia View Post
Hi Cheryl

I was delighted to read your blog. My husband Tim and I are dreaming about driving our AS across the US next winter (we live in Toronto Canada) with California as our destination. It's a long way, I know, but we have 3 months or so at our disposal so are getting pretty excited planning it. I loved reading about campsites you've visited and wondered what facilities and climate are like in February in California. I'm sure it's quite comfortable the further south one is but we would love to take in the SF Bay area too. Maybe starting in the south and moving north is the logical way to go. We also wonder about towing our rig on 101 and wonder what other people's experiences are of this road.

Regards,
Mary
Hi Mary,

Thank you...I enjoy briefly documenting our Airstream adventures on my blog, but honestly, we're pretty new at this and have only been weekend warrior Airstreaming for a year now. We'll be taking a trip to Big Sur in August, so it will be our first experience driving on the 101 and Hwy 1. In regards to climate in California, it honestly depends on where in California you are and what time of year it is. In general, along the coast, the temperature is overcast & cold (by Californian standards!), to dry & hot inland (especially in the summer), which is fairly the same for both SoCal (Southern California) & NorCal (Northern California). February is "winter" in California and the weather is milder and not as hot inland. If you're along the coast, especially SF, the weather can vary, even throughout the day, so here's a link a found that can explain this much better than I can! San Francisco Weather: Temperatures by Month Have fun planning and good luck to you when you visit our beautiful, diverse state!

Best,

Cheryl

Old 06-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
FULL time Trailer or FULL time Motel?

Going into retirement, we both wanted more traveling, with our dog, of course. A shell on the back of the Tundra sufficed for a few years. We are both backpackers, and at first the shell on the back of the Tundra seemed almost decadent, compared with sleeping in a tent on the ground. But, if you want to be sure you can cook out of the rain, you have to improvise some kind of shelter on the ground or attached to the back of the truck. You have to put up with campground showers. You sometimes have to share your bed with a wet, muddy dog. That first step out of the back of the pickup to answer the call of nature in the middle of the night can be a long one if you are a 5'4" woman. So we began to look for alternatives. My requirement was to be able to shower inside; Nancy's to be able to cook inside.

We never even considered moteling, since they don't have motels where we want to,go.

We really didn't consider motor homes since we want to be able to use the truck when we get where we're going, at times to explore further than a trailer or motor home can easily go.

As long as we were going to be decadent, we wanted something that would be comfortable for a few days to a week in the same spot, but not too big to get into a lot of spots we wanted to travel to.

As far as maintaining your investment, life can throw you curve balls. We have friends who bought a condo at Lake Tahoe for about $500,000, thinking he could enjoy it and it would be a good investment. Along comes the crash of 2008 and his condo plummets to about $300,000, less than his loan. He considered walking away from it, but since he had refinanced, his loan was recourse, meaning they could come after his other assets. So now he is hoping his "investment" will eventually be worth more than the loan. He still does seem to enjoy it, but investment aside, I wouldn't want to be tied to one place, so a condo would never appeal to me.

Which leaves (drum roll!) a 23' Airstream!
Old 06-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Buy a 25 year old Airstream in great condition and the cost of ownership, other than maintenance, is zero.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
FULL time Trailer or FULL time Motel?

Well,,, I just woke up from a brief nap in our second home, my wife's 72 Sovereign.

We have had it parked in New Mexico for near a month this trip and we will be here for another two weeks or so.

In this time we will save over $6,000 in hotel bills and I will get to sleep in my own bed every night.

In the little over two years I have owned the trailer, we will break even on this trip for money invested v. saved hotel bills, having about 20K of real cash invested. (Repairs and tires over the term has cost me about another 1K)

It can pay off, and I truly prefer this arrangement to living in hotels for weeks on end.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
J. Morgan, I spent 7 weeks in my AS last summer and while I was travelling only paid for one campsite and 2 weeks of campsites at destination at 32.00 per day for all hookups even WIFI. Much cheaper then motel rooms.
My AS is a 1978 31' International .
Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
One word is the great justifier: "bedbugs". Having gone through an experience being infected and the subsequent remediation process, there is much to be said about sleeping in one's own bed each night.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
It is a life style or hobby .i do not know anyone that has met and become life long friends they met in a hotel or motel I not only have made many friends some life long but have accepted and been accepted as family . Try and find that at a motel after you have been kept up all night with oooooh John ohh John that's it that's it ooooh John next door. We have done both and the renting of vacation homes you will find the friendliness people in a campground if I have every need help in a campground I have no problem walking up to a complete stranger and asking because I know if he is in a camper he most likely has a dog he is good people.
I have only met one person I didn't get along with that I first met in a campground but it must of been me because I now call him my best friend.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In the little over two years we have used the Airstream we have spent perhaps a dozen nights in campgrounds at a total cost of about $300.

A night each in a couple of campgrounds that were nothing to brag about, and a couple a few nights above the Queen Mine in Bisbee, (that was fun) and a few at the Gila County Fairgrounds park in Globe, AZ. (Not a park with a lot of amenities, but camping alone or almost alone is kinda cool sometimes.

It is kinda cool that the camper we enjoy has turned out to make sound economic sense!

Old 06-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Full timing in an Airstream, is not difficult at all.

But, thinking must change in terms of what to carry and what do I leave back home.

I traveled the USA for just short of 4 years, teaching dealers how to rebuild Airstreams, on behalf of their Insurance division, while living in an Airstream.

Perhaps the best way to think, is everything is short term when full timing, instead of long term. There is just so much space for groceries and stuff, that the long term quantities are a no no. Granted, you must visit grocery stores more often, but that usually makes the traveling even nicer in may ways.

The biggest issue, is holding tank disposal. Once you have that game planned, you have it made.

Every state has something different to offer. Enjoy as many as you can. Makes for a lot of night time fire pit discussions.

Andy
Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The first topic of discussion ought to be whether or not to full-time. What are your goals? Are you physically able to get in and out of an RV, do the necessary set-up and tear-down work?

Once you have decided on the full-time lifestyle the discussion moves on to whether or not to have a home base. That will influence what things you will need to carry with you all the time.

Then there is the decision of towable or driveable. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Each person will have to decide which is the best choice for them. Airstream makes or made most of the most common full-time coaches, so if one wants an Airstream that's possible.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Welcome back Andy!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #41
Rivet Master

For me….it's just not about the money anyway.

Having a camper has saved me no money. Where I go, I would never stayed at a motel. ( music festivals ) I would just van/tent camp, if I didn't have a camper.

I don't think having a camper saves very many people, very much if any money. Sure there are some people that save, but if they didn't have a camper, they wouldn't be taking 6 week vacations anyway

If we did realistic cost accounting, I think it would show.Take the cost of…

#1 cost of the trailer and hitch, brake controller etc
#2 Having to have a beefier Tow vehicle
#3 campground fees
#4 propane
#5 insurance
#6 maintenance, repairs, tires
#7 dumping fees, tank treatment
#8 diminished MPG to and from