Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2019, 11:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Five Years On...and still on the run

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"- Mary Oliver

Five years ago I had no idea who the poet, Mary Oliver, was but sometimes you come across someone at the right time when anytime before would not have had the same comprehension, the same resonance. Maybe if I read her at the time just prior to making the big jump to a life on the road, she would have been the perfect challenge to making our dreams come true. But today, her simple but direct plea is met with satisfaction and some pride - yes, we did have a plan and have been able to make it work.

I can still remember the owner of a million-dollar coach checking into Snow Canyon State Park campground - our first winter spent as camp hosts. She asked us if we were staying in the campground and my wife, Coffee, pointed proudly to our trailer and said, "Yes, we are and we full-time in that Airstream over there." The woman turned her head, took a quick glance and returned back to Coffee and said, "I give you six months."

What the woman failed to understand was dreams aren't measured in square feet or storage space or the number of air conditioners - they are held in one's imagination and moved into reality by love, perseverance, a bit of luck, and most of all, opportunity. Five years later, we sit here and look back, nodding and bowing our heads in gratitude, knowing the vast majority of humans on this earth will never have the same combination we have enjoyed. We hope to continue our fortunate streak and maybe have even more opportunities in time, but to have five years of having a dream literally come true is truly storybook. No regrets.

We've had to slow down our travels a bit the last couple years. You leave grown-up children but they still need help every now and then, and so we've stayed put to make some more money. I've always said if one has to work, it's darn good to work in a place you love and surrounded by new friends. We hope to return to Escalante next spring.

Everybody does full-timing differently - some do it from campgrounds, others while boondocking; some folks are always on the move searching for new adventures, while others stay put, observe the way of things in a new town, and temporarily find themselves a part of a new community's quilt. What IS the same for everyone is the changing of the seasons, the passing of the years. Five years ago I read the stories of those that had come before, and noted the willingness to share mistakes and solutions. Now that same clock has turned for us at such an incredible rate, it's a little bittersweet - some tough days mixed in with unforgettable ones. Old memories are rehashed over and over with gratitude, and new ones crop up unexpectedly; faces and voices, dirt roads and campgrounds, and four seasons are put to music for me so I can enjoy our life soundtrack when I think back to where we started right here on these pages. Man, it's been fun.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09692.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	354490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09694.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	354491  

Name:	DSC09730.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	354492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09733.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	354493  

Name:	DSC09657.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	354495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	354496  

Name:	DSC09879.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	354497  
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
. . .
. . . Man, it's been fun.
. . .
Well said . . . with another fine video and music by Lucius.

For everyone's information . . . earlier similar posts from Jeff and Coffee's adventures:

Traveler: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...fe-187084.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...ne-195769.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...fe-189063.html

Wow . . . what a country to explore . . . thanks for the inspiration!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Beautiful video, as always, and congratulations on reaching your five year mark.

You two shine with love and happiness.

A life well lived.

Maggie
Old 10-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Posted at 11:11...perfect.
Great video.

See you next week!!!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . ah . . . the magical hour when all is one.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Good for you!

We too are enjoying the AS life, having owned one and ventured all over the US for the last 7 years.

Fabulous adventures we never would have had withoit our Sali!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"- Mary Oliver

I love all the nerdy talk about EV's and solar panels and stove sparklers (is that what they're really called??? So cute!)...but in the end, this is what it's all about for me. Thank you for putting it down so eloquently and congratulations on doing great things with your one wild and precious life! -Kim

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Well traveled, well lived. 💞

Beautiful account of your travels. So happy for you both. 💜 Here's to the next years. Travel on, travel well. 🥂
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Wild and Precious Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post

Five years ago I had no idea who the poet, Mary Oliver, was but sometimes you come across someone at the right time when anytime before would not have had the same comprehension, the same resonance. Maybe if I read her at the time just prior to making the big jump to a life on the road, she would have been the perfect challenge to making our dreams come true. But today, her simple but direct plea is met with satisfaction and some pride - yes, we did have a plan and have been able to make it work.

I can still remember the owner of a million-dollar coach checking into Snow Canyon State Park campground - our first winter spent as camp hosts. She asked us if we were staying in the campground and my wife, Coffee, pointed proudly to our trailer and said, "Yes, we are and we full-time in that Airstream over there." The woman turned her head, took a quick glance and returned back to Coffee and said, "I give you six months."

What the woman failed to understand was dreams aren't measured in square feet or storage space or the number of air conditioners - they are held in one's imagination and moved into reality by love, perseverance, a bit of luck, and most of all, opportunity. Five years later, we sit here and look back, nodding and bowing our heads in gratitude, knowing the vast majority of humans on this earth will never have the same combination we have enjoyed. We hope to continue our fortunate streak and maybe have even more opportunities in time, but to have five years of having a dream literally come true is truly storybook. No regrets.

We've had to slow down our travels a bit the last couple years. You leave grown-up children but they still need help every now and then, and so we've stayed put to make some more money. I've always said if one has to work, it's darn good to work in a place you love and surrounded by new friends. We hope to return to Escalante next spring.

Everybody does full-timing differently - some do it from campgrounds, others while boondocking; some folks are always on the move searching for new adventures, while others stay put, observe the way of things in a new town, and temporarily find themselves a part of a new community's quilt. What IS the same for everyone is the changing of the seasons, the passing of the years. Five years ago I read the stories of those that had come before, and noted the willingness to share mistakes and solutions. Now that same clock has turned for us at such an incredible rate, it's a little bittersweet - some tough days mixed in with unforgettable ones. Old memories are rehashed over and over with gratitude, and new ones crop up unexpectedly; faces and voices, dirt roads and campgrounds, and four seasons are put to music for me so I can enjoy our life soundtrack when I think back to where we started right here on these pages. Man, it's been fun.

Bravo! Well put.
dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Congratultions! Here’s to the next 5!

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Inspirational ������. Do it while you can still hike to the top of the mountain����
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
A new life equation...

A couple years ago I was learning how to work the register and learn new faces at a convenience store. It took me forever to remember the items and locals but with the help of my co-workers, I finally figured it out and made it through two seasons.

Earlier this spring I was learning how to make a coffee latte in front of my boss and a customer and sprayed milk up into my face while using the steam wand. I was thinking I will never make a good latte, much less pour a rosetta, but in time, I was able to make multiple drinks for customers while holding a conversation.

It’s taken me the last three years to complete a bucket list item: backpacking in The Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument in Utah. Something would always come up and I had to step away. After picking up the right gear and getting tips from my co-workers and local friends, I finally got to drop into this beautiful crack in the earth. For three days and two nights, I carried everything I needed on my back…and my mind was unburdened. The Airstream life is an extension of that. The simpler life is the right path for me.

“The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life. It’s so easy to make it complex. What’s important is leading an examined life.”*- Yvon Chouinard

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Follow your dreams - they are yours to enjoy

Wonderful!

To enjoy a life as you do is clearly one of the great pleasures we have been given the opportunity to experience.
There are those who say time is a wheel and all opportunities come around again and again; and there are those who say time is a river and the opportunity may pass only once; I say time is what we make of it and we should all enjoy every minute in our own special way.
Enjoy and best wishes.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
WOW - 5 years.... we have simply fulfilled a dream by obtaining Blue Streak and spending the Summers travelling the Island.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Hot Springs Village , ARKANSAS
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing...
clarsen0829 is offline   Reply With Quote