Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

t , Michigan
I think that if you're traveling, the limited space will not be a problem because the majority of your time will be spent outside the trailer. If you're stationary, it is going to get tight.

Without three permanent beds, the couch/dinette will have to be broken down every night after dinner and then reassembled for breakfast. If someone needs the dinette to work or study, this will become a bother. Everyone is going to have to go to sleep at the same time because you can't separate the sleeping and living quarters in a 25 ft trailer (a flimsy plastic partition is not going to keep light and sound out of the bedroom).

The more you can move, the less space you will need to keep entertained (or sane). The more outdoorsy you are, the less space you will need (if the weather cooperates).

But moving around a lot costs a lot more money.

Check out the family blogs online. Most families are doing it with a fifth wheel and chasing the warm weather. Most RVs cannot handle extended stays in below freezing weather.

The big problem is space. A single guy can live in a RV small enough to boondock or Walmart. A single guy has all the privacy he needs to make a small space livable. 4 people in under 200 sq. ft. with nowhere to go is going to get painful very quickly. If it's raining outside, where is the 5 year old going to play while the 10 year old has to do homework and mom is assembling dinner (she's going to have to use the dinette table for counter space because there is too little space otherwise to put dishes, pots, pans and food)?

You may save money by moving into a stationary travel trailer, but it is going to be painfully cramped. I'd recommend you try it for a month first and see if you can tolerate it. Don't commit before you know your family dynamics are compatible with such a small space.

The reason you don't see families with kids living in stationary RVs is that the money saving alternatives to a single-family house - namely an apartment or a mobile home in a trailer park are so much more comfortable than a stationary travel trailer.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Hot Springs , South Dakota
A lot of it will depend on the park where you stay. You may do little more than eat and sleep in the camper if there are plenty of facilities. You can save a lot of money if the park has cable, internet access, etc.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
You'll need a big bag of Quarters.

Hi, we have spent some time in our 25'er, [up to 50 days] but not full time. My wife and I and one little dog. Our clothes and a few extra doggy towels takes up all of our space and laundry must be done weekly. Where are you going to keep enough clothes for four people? Or doing laundry every couple of days because you can't carry enough changes for everyone. Camp ground laundries never work as good as my washer and dryer at home. And as high as $4.00 per load to wash, and almost the same to dry, adds up. This is just one thing to think about.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Portland , OR
When my son was born we were living in a 24' Terry. It had been fine for the two of us, but after he arrived if you were sitting in one place and wanted to move to another you had to move what was in the other place to where you were first sitting. We bought a 40' Fifth wheel with a rear bedroom and lived with two kids for 5 years. I'm living in a 31' International and it's fine for one and would do for two, but 5 would be tight.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #19
Lazy scouter

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Plano , Texas
I think you'll spend more $ on eating out(cooking daily in a tight space is smelly & no fun).
Also the laundry as stated is probably more $.
And weekends it's hard to be cooped up all day, so you'll probably spend $ at movies or anywhere outside the airstream.
It might not be a money saver, but it'll be an adventure.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
From 1973 to about 1988 we followed the fair circuit from LA to Canada and back, playing fairs in the Midwest. We traveled from April to November.

When it was just Regina and I we lived in a 1968 Utopia... We made the gaucho into a bed every night. When she got pregnant, we moved up to 28 or 30' Impala or LaSalle travel trailers, my MIL was kin to the factory owner. These were cheap trailers...both cost and quality.

Then we went to motorhomes, by then we had two kids. We moved up to a 40' Kountry Aire fifth wheel... Two bedrooms. It was the perfect trailer for our family, we full timed for two years.

Now, it us just the wife and I in our Airstream and we are getting ready to full time again.

My advice to you is to get the biggest sob you can, park it, live In It, save your money. You will not be comfortable in a 25' trailer with two kids, full timing.

Don't forget the cost of propane, freezing pipes, electric heaters, snow in the entrance door and the worst of all: rainy days
Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
After several months of deliberating over wether or not we could live in our trailer for several months to save money we came to a decision and we've decided to go for it.
Our decision was helped by the fact that our landlord decided that the market had picked up enough that he can now finally sell the house and finance his retirement. We lived in this house for nearly 5 years and it has been a wonderful experience raising our now 6 and 11 year olds on this beautiful island of Siesta key FL over this time.
We were frustrated to see what was out there in the rental market and the high prices that people are asking. With that said we decided and have pulled the trigger on a 8 month stay in a really nice safe park close to schools and after school activities.
The park is set in nice shady pines and located on the water for kayaks and small boats and easy water access to the barrier islands and beaches.
So with rent paid in full and utilities included, storage paid upfront for our household items we are ready to give a master plan a shot.
So starting January 1st our adventure begins. I'll keep you all posted 😊
Old 11-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like an adventure!

One small suggestion.....visit the dollar bins at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc., and create a bag of small crafts and activities you can pull out for diffusing mini-meltdowns with your young-uns when you have stretches of bad weather, etc.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Good idea I will.
We're lucky in the fact that we're doing this in the nicer months in Florida. Also having 2 swimmers that swim 6 days a week means one we leave the house at 7:30am and don't return until after 8:30pm every night and 2 the swimming takes any last energy they have out of them and lastly the new trailer location cuts down travel time and not dealing with the snowbird traffic on and off the key.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Update - It's been a year and a half living full time in the Airstream and the whole family has no regrets. The biggest benefits have been getting to know my family better. We have no financial worries. The kids spend more time outside playing. We have connected to nature and notice our surroundings more. We don't want for needless necessities. We have slowed down in general and it has noticeable benefits on the relationships throughout the family. In all its been the best decision we have ever made. We have reaped the financial benefits which has rewarded us with a new larger Airstream which makes life even more comfortable. When the kids do misbehave I threaten them with living in a house, that normally sets them straight😊
Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #25
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Fulltime rv travel is the sport of kings.... this is not cheap! It is more expensive and not as convenient as brick and mortar life. We are 6 strong!
With that said..... weve not been home in 5 years!
Buy an $80 national parks pass, get out there.... quick!
Old 06-23-2016, 05:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Kudos to you both!

Maggie
Old 10-27-2016, 01:26 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pleasanton , California
Somehow missed that you had a year of experience with this life. I am glad to see that it has worked out.

As you know, Sarasota is a lot more expensive to live in than a number of communities just 30 minutes north or south.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it's working out!