Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Everyone's around...but we're still alone

After fishing season of Fall 2018 we decided to spend our second winter in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico...but this time, the whole winter. We parked our trailer at the Dam Site Resort and Campground for its solitude and relatively affordable full-hookup rate; it's not the most plush campground and probably not for most Airstreamers (we were the only ones the entire winter), but we just wanted to hibernate on the cheap. We were able to make new friends, relax at the hot springs, eat well, and try to stay fit by walking every day.

During our stay, I purchased the documentary, Free Solo. I have followed the climber, Alex Honnold, the last several years. While I cannot even come close to his achievements, I can admire his passion for climbing, solitude, and pushing his limits. When I watch his story, I am reminded life is relative and that all of us are capable of solving problems, pushing our limits, and following our own dreams.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09187.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	340997   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09122.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	340998  

Name:	DSC09127.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	340999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09147.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	341000  

Name:	DSC09164.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	341001   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09165.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	341002  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
The years go by and the seasons go by four times faster. After winter we found our way back to one of favorite small towns and the area of our very first boondocking experience - Escalante, Utah and The Grand Staircase National Monument. We corresponded with our Escalante friends made three years ago - a couple opening a new and only bakery in town, and another couple running their gear and guide shop; both couples needed some help and we needed to work after a winter of being bums. We decided to give up our boondocking preference and stayed in town with full-hookups; we'd need them for the upcoming summer months. It's been a nice change-up staying in town - we're in better communication with all our friends in town instead of when we were working/living two miles outside of town three years ago. I've always said, if one has to work, it's better to live somewhere you love...and that's the beauty of full-timing living/travel - you get to pick your spots. I'm working 47 hours a week these days but when I get to walk home past beautiful vistas of canyons and open space, the world is still my oyster. Living in the great outdoors has always been good medicine for us.

Last week I met up with another airforums member - pcskier. We have traded comments over the last 4.5 years but last year we got to meet just outside Bryce Canyon National Park and in a convenience store where I worked. He was exactly who I thought he was through his comments and we felt upon parting ways we would meet again. He came down from northern Utah to spend some time exploring The Grand Staircase National Monument. We learned we both loved the idea of boondocking and getting out away from the crowds. We got our chance on a couple of hikes. We were like little kids out there, all by ourselves - getting a little lost, doing some route finding and map reading, and figuring out a tight problem in a slot canyon with no name. I actually got a lump in my throat at the one crux and wanted to turn back but pcskier figured it out and helped me get through the tight spot. There is nothing better than sharing an experience like that to bring folks together and have memories in their back pockets for the rest of their lives.

“I find that in contemplating the natural world my pleasure is greater if there are not too many others contemplating it with me, at the same time.” - Ed Abbey

"It's all in the manual that we've been writing a future instructional guide
If we skip to add to our pre-fulfilled dreams we'd be lost without our own advice
We'll be alright
We'll be alright" - Lucius

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09346.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	341003   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09380.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	341004  

Name:	DSC09391.jpg
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	341005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4212.jpg
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	341006  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great thread, posts, videos and photos . . . thanks Jeff!

For everyone's information, your earlier Traveler thread and video are also fine indeed:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...fe-187084.html

Thanks again,

Peter

PS -- I have added that Lucius number to the OTRA II music thread . . . love their work, as well as Chris Stapleton's Traveler from your earlier thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ii-147587.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Long life and happiness!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the post, the video, etc. Real Nice!!!

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Excellent, as always, and thanks once more for sharing your adventures.

You and your wife look happy and relaxed, and I like the au naturale look to your hair and beard...a little Grizzly Adams thing goin’ on there.

Enjoy, stay safe, write again.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Very nice update from you guys with the usual good pictures and video. Nice civilian hair growth going on there.

Utah is a beautiful state and while we have visited we hope to spend more time there in our retirement as there is so much to see. I was once overwhelmed by the simplicity and beauty of Tropic, Utah. We came from the West having just spent time in Bryce and you come down out of the elevation and have the gorgeous meadow and tiny town of Tropic. I wondered how the tiny town survived but we stopped bought something in the little store and ate at the restaurant. Maybe the passing tourists help.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream Brand Ambassador!!

Wow!

This is a beautiful story and video.

It should be shown at the International and posted on every Airstream social media site.

I hope that Airstream will make you an Ambassador of the brand. The friendship, the campsite, the music, the journey, exploring of national parks - every moment of this video illustrates what I think of when I think of Airstream and our community.

Well done!
I cannot wait to see your next one!
earlyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Hey I recognize that Flying Cloud and that dog :-) Great video, great time! Sitting here back home in PC enjoying a 45 degree rainy day, The Aluminum Tent 3 back in storage till the next adventure.

pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote