Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Everyone's around...but we're still alone

After fishing season of Fall 2018 we decided to spend our second winter in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico...but this time, the whole winter. We parked our trailer at the Dam Site Resort and Campground for its solitude and relatively affordable full-hookup rate; it's not the most plush campground and probably not for most Airstreamers (we were the only ones the entire winter), but we just wanted to hibernate on the cheap. We were able to make new friends, relax at the hot springs, eat well, and try to stay fit by walking every day.

During our stay, I purchased the documentary, Free Solo. I have followed the climber, Alex Honnold, the last several years. While I cannot even come close to his achievements, I can admire his passion for climbing, solitude, and pushing his limits. When I watch his story, I am reminded life is relative and that all of us are capable of solving problems, pushing our limits, and following our own dreams.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09187.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	340997   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09122.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	340998  

Name:	DSC09127.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	340999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09147.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	341000  

Name:	DSC09164.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	341001   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09165.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	341002  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
The years go by and the seasons go by four times faster. After winter we found our way back to one of favorite small towns and the area of our very first boondocking experience - Escalante, Utah and The Grand Staircase National Monument. We corresponded with our Escalante friends made three years ago - a couple opening a new and only bakery in town, and another couple running their gear and guide shop; both couples needed some help and we needed to work after a winter of being bums. We decided to give up our boondocking preference and stayed in town with full-hookups; we'd need them for the upcoming summer months. It's been a nice change-up staying in town - we're in better communication with all our friends in town instead of when we were working/living two miles outside of town three years ago. I've always said, if one has to work, it's better to live somewhere you love...and that's the beauty of full-timing living/travel - you get to pick your spots. I'm working 47 hours a week these days but when I get to walk home past beautiful vistas of canyons and open space, the world is still my oyster. Living in the great outdoors has always been good medicine for us.

Last week I met up with another airforums member - pcskier. We have traded comments over the last 4.5 years but last year we got to meet just outside Bryce Canyon National Park and in a convenience store where I worked. He was exactly who I thought he was through his comments and we felt upon parting ways we would meet again. He came down from northern Utah to spend some time exploring The Grand Staircase National Monument. We learned we both loved the idea of boondocking and getting out away from the crowds. We got our chance on a couple of hikes. We were like little kids out there, all by ourselves - getting a little lost, doing some route finding and map reading, and figuring out a tight problem in a slot canyon with no name. I actually got a lump in my throat at the one crux and wanted to turn back but pcskier figured it out and helped me get through the tight spot. There is nothing better than sharing an experience like that to bring folks together and have memories in their back pockets for the rest of their lives.

“I find that in contemplating the natural world my pleasure is greater if there are not too many others contemplating it with me, at the same time.” - Ed Abbey

"It's all in the manual that we've been writing a future instructional guide
If we skip to add to our pre-fulfilled dreams we'd be lost without our own advice
We'll be alright
We'll be alright" - Lucius

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09346.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	341003   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09380.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	341004  

Name:	DSC09391.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	341005   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4212.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	341006  

Old 05-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great thread, posts, videos and photos . . . thanks Jeff!

For everyone's information, your earlier Traveler thread and video are also fine indeed:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...fe-187084.html

Thanks again,

Peter

PS -- I have added that Lucius number to the OTRA II music thread . . . love their work, as well as Chris Stapleton's Traveler from your earlier thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ii-147587.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Long life and happiness!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the post, the video, etc. Real Nice!!!

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Excellent, as always, and thanks once more for sharing your adventures.

You and your wife look happy and relaxed, and I like the au naturale look to your hair and beard...a little Grizzly Adams thing goin’ on there.

Enjoy, stay safe, write again.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Very nice update from you guys with the usual good pictures and video. Nice civilian hair growth going on there.

Utah is a beautiful state and while we have visited we hope to spend more time there in our retirement as there is so much to see. I was once overwhelmed by the simplicity and beauty of Tropic, Utah. We came from the West having just spent time in Bryce and you come down out of the elevation and have the gorgeous meadow and tiny town of Tropic. I wondered how the tiny town survived but we stopped bought something in the little store and ate at the restaurant. Maybe the passing tourists help.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream Brand Ambassador!!

Wow!

This is a beautiful story and video.

It should be shown at the International and posted on every Airstream social media site.

I hope that Airstream will make you an Ambassador of the brand. The friendship, the campsite, the music, the journey, exploring of national parks - every moment of this video illustrates what I think of when I think of Airstream and our community.

Well done!
I cannot wait to see your next one!
earlyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Hey I recognize that Flying Cloud and that dog :-) Great video, great time! Sitting here back home in PC enjoying a 45 degree rainy day, The Aluminum Tent 3 back in storage till the next adventure.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Like a lot of the country, Scenic Byway 12 outside of Bryce Canyon is still waiting on spring...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	341868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	341869  

Old 05-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Scenes from the Grand Staircase National Monument. Memorial Day is a solemn remembrance of those who have fallen for us yesterday and long ago. I find freedom in open space...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4363.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	341871   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09452.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	341872  

Name:	DSC09462.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	341873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09463.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	341874  

Old 05-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
- , My heart is in Colorado
Thank you for your posts and videos. I've been collecting video snippets of our travels to eventually compile into a larger project (say 3-5 minutes ), and your projects have been great inspiration.

I really appreciate how open you are in general. Thanks for inviting us into your perspective on the world. Its a great one!
Papatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great panoramic shots, thanks!

Peter
Old 05-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great videos, thanks for sharing. Elephant Butte is one of our favorite, quick "go-to" places, as we keep our boat there year around and usually camp at Desert Cove in the Airstream. New Mexico is finally benefitting from El Nino as we have not seen this much moisture in the last 20 years. The bathtub ring in the background of many of your shots shows how low the lake has been (4% full in February). At least it's on the rise and as of this week it is at 25% and still rising. Truth or Consequences is a great little town and always fun to visit after a day on the lake.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
A few days ago I met the couple who parked their new Airstream across the campground from us. I learned they loved the Grand Staircase National Monument and to hike. They hiked every day this past week and so we joined them and our local friends for a day of hiking.

Eight and a half hours and 50 creek crossings or so later...

Old 06-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Beautiful . . . thanks!

A reminder for everyone that, if one clicks on the URL at the top of the YT frame, it will open in a new tab/window, which you can then toggle into "Full Frame" for stunning visuals on a computer or larger tablet.

Jeff -- sorry a little off-topic -- but are there any critters out west like Deer or Lone Star Ticks, which require careful application of repellents, to avoid Lyme Disease etc.? Your water crossings would wash off the repellents. [ feel free to ignore question ] [edit-- nice goatee . . . ]

Thanks again for your amazing visuals.

Peter
Old 06-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Nice video, new friends, safety in teamwork crossing water. Living the Life!!!

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Thanks again, Peter.

As for ticks, I'm no expert but haven't noticed any yet. The maps I've seen don't show a presence of ticks in southern Utah...yet. Hopefully there are still not as many hosts out here to promote the explosion of ticks elsewhere and the dry temperatures help keep the population low. I didn't have any insect repellant on me but I know they go after my wife; so far, I've been lucky.

Knock on wood.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Well, OTRA15/Peter, not long after my last post I found out about deer flies and cedar gnats. As I was hiking down a wash, the deer flies latched onto my legs (I was wearing shorts) and they were vicious. As soon as I hiked off and away from the wash, I was fine.

Recently, Coffee and I went up onto the Aquarius Plateau above Escalante in the hope of getting away from the recent gnat infestation while fishing at 9,300 feet elevation. I have learned that gnats and mosquitos are attracted to one's exhalation of carbon dioxide and suddenly walking around that elevation only increased my CO2 output. Our bug juice had little effect and we were saved only because a nice breeze set in that afternoon.

The food chain was in working order that day: the trout were slapping water feeding on gnats and mosquitos, the insects were eating us alive, and Coffee managed to complete the circle with a nice brookie and rainbow trout. It really was a matter of who wanted it more; my wife doesn't like to go home empty-handed.

When I got home that day, Facebook reminded me of a post from exactly three years ago...and it happened to be a day of fishing with local friends at the same exact body of water. My wife and I travel around the western states but it's inevitable to realize we are traveling in circles, both on a map and in life experiences. This area never ceases to amaze me. A few weeks ago I was hiking in a crack in the earth and yesterday I was in exactly the opposite direction and same distance away, up a mountain, walking among aspens, and catching dinner.

Let the summer begin...again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8eb.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	345233   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8e5.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	576.0 KB
ID:	345234  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8ee.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	345235   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8e6.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	641.2 KB
ID:	345236  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8f0.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	345237  
Old 09-01-2019, 05:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
. . .
Let the summer begin...again.
Thanks for the update, Jeff, which I missed back in July. Great photos!

So . . . here we are on September 1st, and I am listening to Chris Stapleton's Traveler while watching your great video:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...fe-187084.html

Hope you had a fine summer, and will be posting a new thread soon.

Happy Trails,

Peter