Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
De-winterizing

I have winterized my new Airstream (for the first time) by draining the tanks, blowing-out the lines with a compressor and adding RV anti-freeze to the fresh water tank and drains (and using the pump to fill the lines). Now we're preparing for a trip to Florida and I'm wondering what I need to do to de-winterize once there. We won't be using the fresh water tank since we'll have hook-ups at all stops. Do I need to do anything other than connect to city water at the campsite and thoroughly flush all lines by opening faucets? Can I just leave the RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
I'm in the same situation. I've winterized just like you did and am heading from Idaho to Arizona in a couple of weeks. I'll be interested in seeing what info you get. BTW, I'm from Lexington...go Kats!
baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
First, please DON'T put RV antifreezer into the fresh water tank. It's almost impossible to get it all out, and you will be smelling and tasting it until July. There are kits you can get to put the antifreeze directly into the pump, and just drain the fresh water tank.
Now, if you get one of thses kits, you can open the bypass valves to the water heater, run regular water through the system first, then fill the water heater, and use everything normally. When you're done, you simply buy 2 gallons of RV antifreeze and run it through the system, remembering to bypass the water heater and drain it. It should take about a gallon and a half to Winterize, then dump the remainder down all the drains to displace the water. Empty your holding tanks, and you're finished, and ready for further Winter storage.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
For me, and have probably gone through the drill for at least 10 years......anyway:
As I am driving I open the petcock to drain the RV antifreeze out of the freshwater tank or I do this at home before the trip. I run in perhaps 10 gallons of water, let it drain and then repeat a couple of times.........As I am doing this I hook up the city water line and let each faucet run on hot and cold for awhile. While this is going on, I put the plug back in the hot water tank, open the valve and let it fill..............WA LA..........

No big deal actually, and then if I get back into the cold, I buy another couple of gallons of RV antifreeze and go through the drill in reverse. I dont bother with blowing out the lines as the antifreeze just pushes the clear water out as it goes through the lines......DONT FORGET THE TOILET SPRAYER..........God bless.....Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Just flush the lines when you get to warm weather. I would also take the oportunity to fill the fresh water tank and flush it out also, then drain it again. AS Overlander 63 said, draining the water tank and the hot water heater is sufficient, no pink stuff needed there, And I second the don't forget the toilet. A drop or 2 of water in the valve will do it in if it freezes
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you have a compressor for blowing out the lines then use it to blow out all of the antifreeze before you leave, the same way you blew out all off the water. When you get to a warmer destination, then you can hook up and flush out all of the remaining residue untill it taste fresh. If you had the hot water heater bypassed, don't open it untill you have flushed all of the water lines.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
When I winterize First let the galley sink run till the pump drains the fresh water tank. Then I unhook the pump from the tank and with a short peice of plastic hose into the gallon containers of RV antifrezze I pump all the lines full. OF course I passed a step and thats opening all the drains and the Water heater and draining everything. I do put a little AF in the fresh water tank and also in all the drains. IN spring I fill the fresh water tank and open all the fuesets and let the pump drain the fresh water tank again. Then I sanitize the fresh water tank.The pink stuff is all gone. We are good ta go.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Blowing Anti Freeze out of the lines

I winterized our water lines by pumping anti freeze thru them, and now want to remove it. I understand that I can use air pressure to blow them clear, but is there any precaution I should take before clearing the lines with compressed air?
Thanks,
Rod
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Yes. Make sure that you don't use too much air pressure. Most compressors give around 120 lb. If all valves and faucets are closed that is what you will pressurize the system to.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I just hook up the city water and flush everything out. Then fill the fresh water tank and start the pump to push the small amount of anti freeze out of that part of the line. Also flush out the water heater using city water.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I wouldn't bother with air pressure for flushing the lines out - just keep running water through them.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I am late to the party. I live in Northern California and simply drained the lines at the low point valves. Drained the water heater. Hooked up the air compressor to the city water and blew out the lines with all faucets and the low points open. Poured anti-freeze into the traps.
To de-winterize, I assume it is simply hooking up the city water and slowly pump water to blow out the air? Does anyone recommend leaving the low point valves open while replacing air with water? Also, does anyone recommend blowing out the black tank sprayer with the air compressor when winterizing?
Thank you, AS Forum! I truly appreciate all the years of knowledge!

Ron
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I found mixed answers to Ron's question regarding blowing air through the black tank spray system. I did it because it's there, might have water in it to freeze and it's simple to do while doing the rest of the water system. And I don't want to dig into it if it freezes and breaks something.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I am late to the party. I live in Northern California and simply drained the lines at the low point valves. Drained the water heater. Hooked up the air compressor to the city water and blew out the lines with all faucets and the low points open. Poured anti-freeze into the traps.
To de-winterize, I assume it is simply hooking up the city water and slowly pump water to blow out the air? Does anyone recommend leaving the low point valves open while replacing air with water? Also, does anyone recommend blowing out the black tank sprayer with the air compressor when winterizing?

Ron
Ron, this is what I do and haven't had a problem yet. 19 degrees outside as I type this by the way.

I don't leave the low point drains open when refilling the tanks and lines with water. I also do not blow out the black tank clean out thingy. I read here that the back flush valve drains automatically when the pressure is removed so there is no water left to freeze.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Polarlyse & Aftermath,

Interesting perspectives. Sounds like both have merit and both make sense. Thanks for the reachout!

Ron
Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:

Ron
Just hook up the water and go. Note you'll have a lot of air in the system, so be ready for sputtering and splashing. It might be worth letting each faucet (don't forget the toilet) run a bit. No need to leave the low point valves open or anything like that.

If you bypassed the water heater, don't forget to unbypass it before you turn it on.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Thanks, Skater. Apparently I did not bypass the water heater since I don't know how. I did take out the drain plug and drained it. Is the purpose of bypassing the water heater to avoid running antifreeze through it? I assume draining is adequate for my climate?
Thanks again!!
Ron
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Is the purpose of bypassing the water heater to avoid running antifreeze through it?
Ron
Yes.

With the water heater bypassed it only takes 1.5-2 gallons of RV antifreeze instead of 7.5-8 gallons. Plus you don't have problems clearing the antifreeze out of the water heater.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
How does water get in hot water tank? Does it have its own water fill place? I have to de-winterize myself, is there a checklist on the forum? Thanks.sbb
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
How does water get in hot water tank? Does it have its own water fill place? I have to de-winterize myself, is there a checklist on the forum? Thanks.sbb
Once you open the bypass, the water pressure (either from the pump or the city connection) will fill the water heater.