Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

mikonos , kiklades
costs for fulltime living?

hi ppl
i m new thinking on fultiming
kud someone give mi an idea abaut how much it wud kost mi to live in an airstream 22ft (heating ,electricity etc) for a winter and sumer month?

thenx alot
alexis
ooo
yiesyisyeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Hi Alexis,

You are in a beautiful part of the world - haven't been to Mikonos but have been to Aiena, Poros and some of the other islands close to Athens.

There are a lot of variables to the costs - tell us more about where you plan to be and what you plan to do and maybe someone can help. Do you plan to be in Greece?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

mikonos , kiklades
alo luisa nd jasper
m planing to muv to north vancouver BC,canada
i m tring to figure out how much energy a trailer needs if fultiming
i m also trying to figure out abaut solar etc
so i was wondering what kind of expenses 2-3 ppl hav in a trailer during winter and sumer so the plas if properli heated and evrithing works fin-fridge,a printer,a laptop, a tv etc-

thenx
remember world iz alwaz biutiful-we jast gat to notis it,even find or mak it obvius
ooo
Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Greetings Alexes

There are a few conversations here on the forum addressing this issue.
But I will try to answer your questions. Mark ( Marks Fulltiming page )
is a fulltiming Guru. He said that his average annual cost of living fulltime in a trailer was about $22,000 US dollars. That was more than 5 years ago. That included everything, phone, traveling, insurance, gasoline,
phone....everything. He also worked for his keep at many campgrounds,
and could do any repairs.
That being said, I would not reccomend trying to live in a trailer
over the winter in Canada. One problem is keeping water coming in and out of the trailer from freezing. One solution for this is insulating around
the base of the trailer and heating the "basement". The water and sewer lines must be underneath the trailer. Another problem is condensation.
Trailers are almost air tight and actually have their own weather systems.
It has actually rained in my trailer. One person exhales and or sweats about a gallon of water per night. Trailers are designed to be light enough to travel in style, not to live in through a Canadian winter. I suppose it could be done, but, it wouldn't be easy. That is just an opinion, as I have
never tried. Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Canadian Winter - bad, bad idea.

I fulltime but in Virginia - much farther south. In my area, the usual "freeze" lasts from 2 to six weeks. In most of Canada it's 4 to 6 months. That far north it would be hard to keep the unit warm regardless of how much you were willing to spend on electricity or propane.

The USA and Canada have a whole group of people, mostly retired, who are called "snow birds". They move to the south for the winter. Some come in RV's, some actually own second homes or condos in the southern part of the USA.

If you've ever been to Scotland in February you have some idea of what winter is like in most parts of Canada. Parts of the Pacific northwest (Washington State and Vancouver BC) are warmed by a current that crosses the Pacific from China, so the winters there are less frigid.

Paula

Paula Ford
Old 09-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Two to three people, all their stuff, food, plus printer & computer, full-timing in a 22 ft trailer in winter conditions? It doesn't seem doable, but I guess anything is possible. I would be miserable.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
Ok, I have to comment Alexis. I can't give you figures, because I haven't made it through the winter yet. I'm living (single) fulltime on the Sunshine Coast BC in a 1975 31' Sovereign since Aug 22. Same area. However, I do without a lot right now. I go regularly to the Gym, so shower etc there. I like it quite cold, since I was raised another 500 miles north, and have a very very warm bed. I'll be setting up insulated skirting, so that'll help alot. Dave's 110% right about condensation. I already have to keep a small fan running for condensation, especially during the major rainfall 10 days ago. Before I put in the fan, a piece of paper felt limp, pretty bad. However, 3 people breathing in only 22' -- hmmm

There are a few options for full-time around here on the coast. Some RV parks offer yearly rates including hydro. Solar may help, but I don't expect much help in the winter months in North Van. I'm in a similar eco-climate, and when the sky is blue all around, we'll have a little black cloud dumping rain and keeping us in the dark.

Since I've finally started my full-timing in Canada, but not yet travelling, I guess I'll start a blog. I already have a few obstacles, like a major inside leak. 31' is nice, but I'll be downsizing further to my 19' when it's complete.

Best of Luck
Christina
kidless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

mikonos , kiklades
thenx a lot evrione
i sapoz i wont spent winter in an airstream in BC
...mab i l luk araund for a highly insulated trailer made in canada...
aniwa ol de best
alexis
ooo
Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Hello Alexes

I think that you may have missed the point. ANY trailer will have the same issues that an Airstream would have.
1) condensation.
2) water coming in and out of the trailer freezing
You might do better with a shed or a cabin, because of cost and warmth issues.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
gotta say one more word.. or two

a) There are quite a lot of fulltimers around here, including A/S, mind some do head south in the winter. But, we're not that cold!
b) I'd sure rather be in an A/S than a shed
c) there's a few things to do about the condensation, less breathing, fan/heat, calcium chloride, shallow bath vs shower.

anyway, off to figure out what's leaking in the closet. that's for another thread
kidless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #11

Clive , Iowa
Ok, so you're not in arctic Canada!

So, how much do you estimate it costs to live full-time during winter in an AS in more temperate climates, like the southern tier of the US? And what are your favorite, inexpensive places (i'm talking in generalities here — state or federal campgrounds, or private chain campgrounds) to stay overnight? Also, how long on average do you stay in each place overnight?
iowabentfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #12

1968 30' Sovereign
irricana , on the island 4 now
Im staying in my 68 31ft a/s on vancouver island. the average winter temp here is +4 overnight rarely get below o for longer than a day . I plug in a 1000 watt heater and it keeps my trailer warm until +6 or 7 then the furnice kicks in. Propane has been lasting around two weeks in the colder weather, and costs me 35 dollars to fill. im used to cold weather comeing from the praires -40 is cold +4 is beautiful and you can,t beat living on the canadain west coast.depending on your needs camp rates vary from 10 dollars a night at the lions campground in gold river very remote beautiful rain forest no services. to full service sites in campbell river for 38 a night.most campgrounds have monthly rates it really varys from winter rates of 350 to summer 500 and up depending on location.don,t be worried to much about the winter springs right around the corner starts early here around march. I can,t help with the rest of a budget can only say its around 1500 to 2000 for me. when are you planning on comeing and good luck
telescope123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Canadian Winter - bad, bad idea.
The West Coast is very different from the rest of Canada. I am full timing in the very City that she asked about, North Vancouver. We don't often get temperatures less than 0. Our average winter low is +5 Celcius. Condensation can be easily adressed by plugging in a small dehumidifier than you can buy at Sears.

There are RV parks that are very busy through our winter months. Fulltimers mostly. If there's any place in Canada where year round fulltiming is possible, it is right here on the West Coast or on Vancouver Island.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Airstream makes the best travel trailers for the purpose of TRAVELING. If you mean to stay in one place they are more or less a waste of money. For the price of an Airstream (new or used) you can buy a (new or used) mobile home that will give you a lot more room and comfort at no extra cost.