Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Motor homes have their charms, and there are plenty of people who have tried both. My preference for trailers include the following reasons:
  • moho breaks down YOU are stuck until repairs are complete. You could rent a car and leave all your stuff if you had a job or engagement to keep, but with cats?
  • worst case scenario - tow vehicle craps out you could rent or buy another - or store the trailer, rent a car and make your destination if the deadline is critical
  • unless you have a towed vehicle or informally "toad" you are stuck on interstates only. A toad means 4 more tires and a second engine to maintain. Unless of course your toad requires a tow dolly and that's MORE wheels and tires.
When everything is working right a moho is really simple to take a break in especially with many pets. And frankly you'll really want a bigger Airstream so you'll need a big honkin' truck which even with diesel won't be fuel cost friendly... but moho running costs -ooof!

About the bigger A/S... I started out with a 22CCD and bought a 25FB two years later. Now I lust for a 27FB with twins (better storage and flexibility than a queen). You should consider carefully especially with the cats - Food and litter storage.

One very good thing, New Mexico and Arizona are the best places to hunt for used Airstreams in the nation - the dry climate prevents a lot of the leak related floor rot issues that bedevil Airstreams in other climates. Texas also has 2 Airstream only campgrounds. Lots of people age out of their Airstreams, and some die. Relatives often just need to unload the trailer - and you can be the big winner. (Most people probably don't die IN the Airstream - the owners are snowbirds who store them in the summer, so if they pass the heirs generally just want to sell and get rid of the storage costs.

Happy Hunting, Paula

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
[QUOTE=AnnieG;970255]Thank you for the input...the MH has been a consideration even though I love the look of an Airstream.

Hi- I see you're new here so I'd like to suggest you go to the Classic Motorhome section here you'll find a thread titled 'Classic Motorhome Picture Thread' started by a member named Keyair. Look through these pics and you'll see many Airstream Motorhomes that are the same classic style as the Airstream Travel Trailers.

345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Annie

I too have five cats however they do not travel with me. Traveling with cats in an RV poses its own set of unique problems the essence of which is that some cats that were not raised in such an environment are never successful adapting to it.

When contemplating fulltiming the trade-off with Airstream trailers rather than other makes is one of design vs. space. Many if not most fulltimers opt for either 5th wheel trailers with multiple slides or large class A motorhomes with multiple slides. Either of these not only has roughly twice the floor square footage of an Airstream but also additional storage due to the square rather than rounded corners and "basement" compartments.

People camp in communities and safety is no more a problem than in communities that are not mobile.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have friends who travel with 3 cats routinely in their 27' Airstream or thier Airstream moho...and they spend the summer in an Airstream park in the 27'...they don't seem to have a problem with 3 cats... 5 may be a bit more of a challenge, but that's something only you can decide. PM me and I can give you our friends' contact info if you want...

Many of us travel with dogs...and some of us travel with large dogs in a not-so-large Airstream. We're in a 19' Bambi and normally have 2 cockers...we are down to 1 at the moment, sadly, but there will be 2 eventually...and we get along fine.

Fulltiming is an interesting and exciting lifestyle, to be sure. I think there's a little wish to full time in all of us, but all of us are not that brave. Those who are have a special existence. I must say that I have never met a full-timer who is not happy.

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote