Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #1

1966 17' Caravel
quilcene , Washington
Condensation issues Underneath the Airstream

A mystery to me why I am finding water at the seams - beneath my 17 foot 1966 restored Caravel - of the aluminum sheeting covering the fiberglass insulation. if i stick my hand in gap between the two i can squeeze water out but the one place i could get my hand in furthwer fiberglass was dry. has anyone had this problem. don't think it is a leak as water not hooked up. and drains not being used. just got this adorable trailer and she is in a small damp valley in washington state. not living in her but spending day time there with windows and door open to vent, little heat use, etc. i suppose there could be some residual water in tank from previous owner but as moisture appearance is intermittent i am nearly sure it is condensation. but have never heard of this have you? a reply most welcome.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
It sounds to me like the water is leaking in between the exterior skin and the interior skin. Especially if there is enough to wring it out. I would check around your vents, fans, etc on the roof to make sure the seals are good. Also check around any other items that puncture the exterior skin. You might want to purchase some trempro635 and paint thinner for clean up. It is hard to tell you what it is really, but this is just my opinion.
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

1966 17' Caravel
quilcene , Washington
thanks for the timely reply. i wonder how it can get to the very inside middle of the bottom however.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just drop the belly pan. It's really as simple as drilling out the rivets. This will expose the underside and might allow you to identify where the water is coming from. Do you have any wet spots on the floor? Look closely around the whole perimeter of the trailer to see if there is any dampness. This may also offer clues as to whether a window or other penetration is leaking.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #5

1966 17' Caravel
quilcene , Washington
the belly pan is ? sorry to sound so clueless but i am. i do have a helper and we will be getting into this or i should say under this when the weather mitigates siomewhat if ever.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
try looking at this

My 66 Caravel had a terrible problem with condensaion from the front water tank. I completely insulated it during the rehab. Now no problem.
Another water source down below was the Dometic Refridg. drain. Open the compartment door (on the outside) and see if the drain hose has been routed to the outside of the belly.
Good luck.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #7

1966 17' Caravel
quilcene , Washington
thanks for the excellent replies and their alacrity. should it ever stop raining, snowing, freezing, and blowing, i will check the exterior skin/, the perimeter, the water tank, and the fridge drain. this airstream forum is marvelous indeed.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The belly pan is the aluminum skin on the underside of the trailer. You can remove it to expose the chasis and insulation.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote